Home Buying in Towson>Question Details

Kat Iannitel…, Renter in Baltimore, MD

are there restrictions on unrelated people living in certain zones in Baltimore county or city?

Asked by Kat Iannitello, Baltimore, MD Fri Apr 26, 2013

what are they and what are the penalties for restriction violations

Answers

4
Hi Kat!

If you are talking about renting the property out, yes, Baltimore County law states that in a rental, if it is not a rooming house, no more than two unrelated people are allowed to live in the property.

Towson University lays it out very well on their website:
http://www.towson.edu/studentactivities/commuters/county.asp

They state there: "In Baltimore County, no more than 2 unrelated people may live together in a single-family dwelling. Houses converted into apartments units are included. In that case, only two per apartment are allowed.

In Baltimore City, the codes are more complex, but in basic, no more than 4 unrelated people may live together in a single-family dwelling."

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 27, 2013
Ben, I am so sorry, I never got a notification about your question. I do not know of St. Mary's County -- it is worth a call to the county office to find out!
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013
Hi Marney,

I was curious to know if that same law applies to St. Mary's County as well? I have been searching for things for quite a while cannot find this law except for Baltimore and Salisbury County.

Ben
Flag Thu Jul 18, 2013
Yes. The restrictions are that no more than two (2) unrelated persons can live in the property.
Yes, I know in the Burkleigh Square community there are not supposed to be more than two unrelated people in one household. Burkleigh Square starts on the corner of York Rd and Burke Ave.
I am not aware however if you are renting a property, make sure the landlord is aware of ALL tenants 18 or older living in the property. There are restrictions in the lease concerning this. If I own the property however...and I decide to move in Aunt Sue....I certainly should have the right to do that unless I am in an HOA or Condo Association that does has restrictions.