are slab foundations in NY state too big of a risk because of the climate. What can I look for in a home with a slab to know if it is unstable?

Asked by Philip Denue, Albany, NY Tue Jul 5, 2011

I am intersted in a home that has a slab foundation but the roof is not even and I am concerned that this is because of the slab shifting and even if I have the roof repaired I will need to do so over and over again.

Answers

4
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jul 5, 2011
For an accurate answer as it applies to the property, do hire/consult with a structural engineer....
Cindy Rosen, Agent, Montgomery, AL
Tue Jul 5, 2011
An inspector is the person who you want to ask about this but if you notice a large crack in the ceiling or wall you may want to question that crack.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Please hire a home inspection Engineer. Ranches are typically built on slabs and I personally have never known it to be a problem. there may be other issues that you are not aware of and an Engineer inspection is really the next step.
Web Reference:  http://www.gailgladstone.com
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Just like you need a Realtor to protect your interests; you need Inspectors to answer your question.
This is too important, especially when you are already seeing Red Flags. You probably will have to consult a structural engineer.
There are pro''s and con's on the types of foundations; I like the raised wood floor because its easier to do remodeling and repairs. But I don't like them for the insulation and the squeeks.

Look for an Inspector that specializes in Foundations, and I hope you have an Inspection Contingency in your contract.

Good luck and may God bless