are newer homes more taxes? do you get a better tax rate if you are over 62?

Asked by Judy Perciach, New Lenox, IL Wed Feb 29, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dawn Olson, Agent, Bradley, IL
Wed Feb 29, 2012
I'd like to add that you not only have to be 65 or older, your income has to qualify, in order to get the Senior Freeze. You have to be below a certain income level and be able to show it with your yearly tax return. Therefore, you have to apply for the Senior Freeze every year.

Hope this helps. :)
0 votes
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Wed Feb 29, 2012
At 65 you can get both the senior freeze and the senior exemption. Typically saves about 1000 give or take off most taxes per year that I have seen. And yes - newer homes for the most part are higher taxes because they cost more and are worth more in the market. Usually. A great deal of taxes are the area though and the schools. If you want lower taxes than Tinley and Orland, you need to go north into the Oak Lawn area.

I would be happy to help you find what you need, considering the taxes. If you let me know what you want, I can search on that basis.
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Feb 29, 2012
Newer homes are taxed higher. To get the senior freeze you need to be over 65.

If your looking to buy having a good buyers agent is essential. I would be happy to help you out. My services are free to you as a buyer!
0 votes
Brian Philli…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Wed Feb 29, 2012
Your taxes are based off the assesed value of your home, not the age of the home. You must be 65 to receive the senior freeze tax exemption
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Tinley Park Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more