Zelda, Both Buyer and Seller in Contra Costa County,...

are automatic gas shut off valves in case of earthquake required in Contra Costa County at point of sale?

Asked by Zelda, Contra Costa County, CA Sun Oct 2, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


In California Zone IV seismic areas, I would always exercise on the side of caution. Automatic shut off valves are as common as fire alarms and strapping a water heater.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
In unincorporated area of CCC, the correct answer is YES, including resale homes as point of sale. The Title Co's cannot close escrow without the proper proof of compliance or completion. This affects areas such as all of Discovery Bay as well as others. Cities, which have building departments, have differing rules that include new construction and remodels.

I suggest, to everyone, that they contact Maureen Hunter at MB Services. Gas Valves is what they do. It is streamlined and efficient. They use a different type of valve (excess flow) which is far less problematic than the only slightly less expensive vibration style shut off valve (trucks etc can easily trip them and then you have to reset and relight).

I am providing this info because I am very happy with their products and service which equates to happy clients.

Here is the info from MB Services;

As of March 11th the new "model" Contra Costa County ordinance for gas shut off valves in unincorporated areas of Contra Costa at point of sale became effective. This eliminates the neccessity to install the internal gas appliance valves. The requirement is a shut off valve at the gas meter and a permit. Our cost, depending on the gas flow/BTU's into the home should range from $485.00 to $585.00. Please call with any questions, request for quotes or to order an installation.

Warm Regards,

Maureen Hunter
MB Services
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
In unincorporated areas, all new construction and certain types of extensive remodels or rebuilds.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Yes, but only in the unincorporated areas. That will probably change soon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer