...... would i have to build "traditional" bedrooms to make it leagaly livable?

Asked by to28sohotmommy, Belchertown, MA Fri Sep 14, 2012

i want to buy a big open space, factory,church libray something like that, my question is would i have to build "traditional" bedrooms to make it leagaly livable? or can i just do walls w no cellings or just open floor plan style?
i have all boys for kids if that makes a differance

Answers

10
Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Fri Sep 14, 2012
Please check with the town building department which has jurisdiction over where the property is located.

Best.

Maria
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Fri Sep 14, 2012
No you do not have to have a traditional bed room. There are many contemporary and loft type properties that are anything but traditional.

Open is good.
Ellen Friedm…, Agent, Cambridge, MA
Fri Sep 14, 2012
I don't see why you would have to create "traditional" bedrooms as long as your place did not violate the building code of the town--and bedrooms are not generally a requirement. There are plenty of one-room studios, and they don't have bedrooms. It sounds as thoough yours would be a fabulous "studio."

Ellen G. Friedman, Vice President of Residential Sales
Keller Williams Realty - Cambridge/Somerville
http://www.ellenfriedmanhomes.com
ellengfriedman@comcast.net
The Poissant…, Agent, Belchertown, MA
Wed Mar 26, 2014
Hello! It's been a while since you posted this question. How did your remodel go? Our recommendation would be to explore building code/permit regulation I hope you were able to get some helpful information from the town hall and had success with your project. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions. This sounds like an exciting move and I hope your family is happy with the end result.
Jim Potter, Agent, Belchertown, MA
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Open floor plans are fine but when you want to call them bedrooms, cubical type walls are allowed. I do believe they have to be of a certain height to meet with the town code. You can live anywhere in your own house but for tax assessements or for resale, all bedrooms must have closets.Interier bedrooms without windows are still okay. With new construction, this is a whole different game. New building codes will apply. I do recommend though, going to the town hall to the building inspector here in town and ask him directly on what you really want to do.
Hope this helps.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Fri Nov 2, 2012
You can usually find the code for the appropriate town online and do some research there.
A short talk with the town building department representatives will save you time and effort, too.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Sep 16, 2012
seriously - why so fresh?

bad day?
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Sun Sep 16, 2012
I hope they call you then and you can find them their dream house and get them financing. Best of luck on that.
Glad to see you deleted your offensive comment - why not take a look at the reply the poster left under my comment below in regard to how you made her feel, and what her opinion of you is. I shared that with my manager while discussing your online comments......even the deleted one, and, I also flagged it for trulia to see - but since you deleted it...there's nothing for them to review.
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Sep 16, 2012
seriously Carla?

You think being rude and snide to a consumer is going to enhance your image on trulia?

take a chill pill.......... and learn some manners!

you might even want to apologize to the poster for being so obnoxious
Thank you for your kind words. It was not nice to wake up and read CARLA'S reply this morring. It amazes me how "professionals" represent them selfs and the company they work for in such a adusive manor. I would be horrifed if she worked for me.
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Sun Sep 16, 2012
Your boys may want a ceiling and four walls. Most importantly a door with a lock. :) It is fancy when you are talking about an apartment in new york city but for resale walls that extened upward would be better.
my boys range from 5-11, no locks yet!. im thinking about doing a free standing style wall, maybe 6-8 ft tall, but i would not add ceiling or closet, but for sure a door(love them but they NEED to have a closed room sometimes!). i would not be reselling it this way, i would be taking down when i get to buy the house next door, and this space will be fully used for my day care, so i want to take it all down, but not have damage or lots of wasted money invested.....well thats the idea anyways, unsure if it will work. as they say, looks good on paper. its part of why i posted, not only to see what other people think of my crazy mind, but to also see if there r rules/laws agenst it.
thank you for your reply.
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012