1) rules for putting in a boat ramp & a dock on the Clark's Fork river in the Plains Mt. area? 2)) transmission towers on your

Asked by David Or Linda, Plains, MT Sat Apr 16, 2011

property,rules. 1)Is it allowed to install a boat ramp & dock from your personnel property in this area of the Clark's fork river?

2)High voltage towers on your property , will this lower the value of the property? And what rules as the landowner do I have to adhear to?

3) Has the Clark's Fork River ever flooded over it's banks along 1500 - 1600 block along the West River Road area? This area is approx. 15 miles down river from Plains.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Deborah Warren’s answer
Deborah Warr…, Agent, Plains, MT
Sat Apr 16, 2011
There are different rules for boat ramps and boat docks. For a boat dock you need to contact the soils conservation district. They will tell you all their requirements for a dock....it cannot be a permanent structure, it ahs to be removed in the winter, etc....They also have an application and a permit that you have to file for. The boat ramp is another story. Those are permitted thru the soils conservation district and the army corp of engineers. There is a dual application and permitting process to go through for those. I have the name and number of a local professional that can lead you through either process.

High voltage power lines do lower the value of your property. Those powerlines are in an easement that crosses your property. There are things that you can and cannot do on that easement. It is best to contact the company, I believe it is Bonniville Power, to obtain a list of their regulations.

The Clark Fork River has flooded its banks,. but I an not sure of the exact location of the flood. There are flood plain maps that you can use as a guide to see if you are in the flood plain. Please remember these are only guides. To determine if you are in the floodplain, you have to shoot elevations of the flood plains, your property and your home. The same professional that can answer your questions about the docks can also help with the flood plain information. Please give me a call and I will pass along his information.
0 votes
Andy Onushco, Agent, Helena, MT
Sat Apr 16, 2011
There are a number of regulatory authorities that have authority over placing structures like docks and piers in waterways. It could require permits from the state, USEPA, US Army corps of engineers, your county, and possibly a homeowners organization. I would beqin the inquiry at the county level. Fines and penalties for doing it without permission can be substantial, so be careful and get it in writing.

Depending on the type of property you have, towers might have a negative impact on your property. Whether it is a nice home site or agricultural property where the towers will limit the possibility of pivot irrigation, there could be impacts. However, if it is a planned line that doesn't exist yet, you could get a cash settlement for agreeing to place the towers on your property.

The county likely will have flood maps that show the likelihood of flooding in any specific area. I'm not sure if they will have documentation of any past floods.

Good Luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Plains Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more