2 br/ 2 full bath condo question

Asked by Anthony, Bronx, NY Fri Oct 17, 2008

Do you think it makes financial sense to get rid of one full bathroom to create a 3rd bedroom or office? The condo sells for 449,000 as a 2 br/2 full bath at 1060 sqft. If this modification is approved and does change value, do you think it will increase or decrease the condos value and by how much?

Answers

4
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Oct 19, 2008
Anthony,

Necessity should be the driving force. However, from a resale value the elimination of a second bathroom could be very detramental. Froma creative stand point a third temporary sleeping area can be created by incorporating a sofa sleeper in your interior decorating.

From a practical stand point a second bathroom would be impossible to create without going backward in time and using a chamber pot.
, ,
Sun Oct 19, 2008
Hi Anthony,

I live in a 2/2 condo and if it were a 3/1, I wouldn't be living here. Well at least not with my wife! We can't share a single bathroom!

I also agree with Jolie, the condo board will probably not allow that type of change anyway.

Tony Croft
Mortgage Advisor
Web Reference:  http://www.TonyCroft.com
Michelangelo…, Agent, Howard Beach, NY
Sun Oct 19, 2008
Anthony, ask yourself if you were the buyer and required a 2 br apartment how great it would be to have a second bathroom. Now your a buyer needing 3 bedrooms, do you really think you could or would want to make due with only one bathroom...I would say keep the second bathroom
Jolie Muss, , Upper West Side, New York, NY
Sun Oct 19, 2008
Anthony,
I think it would only make sense if the bathroom was in really, really terrible shape.
Plus I think it doubtful that sort of modification would be approved by a condo. What about a putting a loft bed in one of the bedrooms, then you could have an office space underneath..
Web Reference:  http://joliemuss.com