Juann, Home Buyer in Prospect, CT

Would you buy a home without a home inspection?

Asked by Juann, Prospect, CT Thu Feb 7, 2013

I placed an offer on a home and got outbid by someone who waived the home inspection. I have been in this situation 3 times because the other buyers waived inspections. This is frustrating and I do not want to be in this situation again. Any tips?

Answers

16
Amanda Albert’s answer
NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What if you buy the house and then find out that there is a structural issue that will cost 50K to fix? or that there is mold in the house....Personally, I would NEVER buy without inspections or recommend that my clients do so.
You can agree to buy As IS, with the inspection clause in tack. That means you have the right to have an inspection, but understand that the seller is not going to fix any issues. Then, do inspections and if you find any problems you can still walk away with your deposits. Try that next time.....Amanda
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
Cash buyers waive inspections all the time. From the standpoint of sellers the less contingencies, the better. Also, how could you possibly know the terms and condition of other buyer's contracts? Your best bet is to write up an offer you are comfortable living with and don't worry about what other buyers are doing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
I think having a home inspection done would make me feel a lot better as a buyer. You never know what can happen to houses over decades of use. It would be especially bad to find that the house had termites or something. I don't know how to inspect for that kind of thing on my own. http://www.rockymountaininspection.ca/home_inspection.html
Flag Wed Apr 15, 2015
Everybody's tolerance for risk is different. I've bought places without an inspection and would do it again if I had to. I've also - from the very first time I bought a house - never thought of an inspection as a means to get everything or even anything fixed - it's my opportunity to see what I'll be taking on with the house.

Contingency-free offers absolutely make a difference to the seller - sellers want the most money and the best terms or some combination thereof. It's not an indication that they're hiding anything - it's the hope of having fewer hassles. And I don't think that stating that a house is "as-is" means that there are all sorts of issues. What it means is that the seller is saying "here's my house at X price - I'm not interested in doing or deducting for anything your inspector comes up with".

As Mark suggested, getting an inspection done before your offer is submitted can be the best way to handle this. That may not always be possible but when it is - when they're accepting offers on a certain date for example - take the opportunity to do an inspection.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
Agreed and well stated.
Flag Wed Feb 12, 2014
What I am seeing is buyers who are bringing contractors or someone knowledgable with building and checking homes BEFORE even making an offer. There are times they found something and were able to adjust their offer accordingly. It is one way to strengthen your offer by removing contingincies.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
As an inspector, I believe this one of the biggest mistakes a homeowner could possibly make. I am not saying it because I earn a living in the profession... I say it because a potential buyer NEEDS to learn about the home they are buying. Good inspectors promote themselves to their clients by investing in an education. The more you learn ahead of time, the more information you will have in the end to make a conscious decision.

Below are some of our insights on the WHY's

"Hiring an inspector from the onset when a client is house hunting can speak volumes during the entire process and potentially turn those overwhelming feelings into a positive educational process. A client can learn much more over time than they could in four hours… Absorbing all that educational information over a longer period of time can also reduce the anxiety and burden when the time comes making that final decision and buying that dream home."

"We would recommend to any and all of our clients to hire a home inspector prior to entering into a contract to purchase. One reason for this recommendation is so we can do some research on the potential property in advance. An example would be to check with the town's building department for any building permits that might have been pulled by the current home owner or previous home owners."

"Educational awareness when you are house hunting is important to us as your home inspector. As a home inspector this process can help our clients see what we see on a subjective level, but this can also be the perfect opportunity for our clients to learn some valuable information of how the major systems operate within a home. By securing our services from the beginning it gives us the opportunity to teach you what we look for during an inspection, but most importantly WHY we look for it. The WHY’S are essential and pivotal to discovering the history of that home, and what the potential future may bring to you as the homeowner when buying that home? We firmly believe taking this process at a slow pace is pivotal because all homes have a history, even if they are brand new…"
Even though buyers waive their home inspection as a contingency they still may do one, the deal won't be contingent upon it though. I always recommend having one anyway for your peace of mind. Another option for the future is to have an inspector walk through with you before placing an offer. We find that people waive their inspection often in my area, especially in the million dollar bracket.

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2014
Hiring a professional inspector is relevant to the expertise of the buyer. REALTORS always recommend inspections, yet a qualified buyer who can evaluate a property may have a different idea. Wood destroying insects are the most critical issue in home inspection
Hello--I wouldn't suggest it. If you would like to speak further, please call me at 203.767.9867
Thanks!
Hey Juann, you posted your question in Feb 2013. Have you bought a house yet?
You can hire a home inspector to go look at the homes with you. I offer my clients a per/hour fee. Sometimes people do not need a complete home inspection and just need a couple items looked at. If you have a home inspector with you, then he can quickly look at homes of interest to you. It should take an hour or two to get a realistic professional opinion of a property by just quickly glancing at the major components of a home. Hope this helps and contact me for further information related to this issue.
i would love too answer the question please contact me through my trulia profile
Only if I was purchasing it as a "tear down." To purchase without an inspection is like playing Russian Roulette......

Trust there is a reason why it's being sold "AS IS."
Spring for an inspection before making your offer.
Depends on your ability, experience, resources and objectives.
As you have experienced. many, many folks do buy without an inspection.
You read time and time again, 'contingency FREE purchase offers' are more favorable that a higher price.

If you do not have the ability, experience, resources or objectives to forego and inspection, you will need to have the home inspected completed, at your expense, prior to making your offer.

There are other options. You need to confer with your real estate professional to get your offers structured properly.

Best of success in your home purchase,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Http://RealEstateMadeEz.us
Movie tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
Is the recurring issue that they waived the inspections or that you were outbid? Someone offering more money is a perfectly logical reason to reject an offer. But rejecting an offer that asked for an inspection as opposed for one that didn't; that's penny ante and makes you think they had something to hide - or were hypersensitive about potential problems being unearthed. Which makes sense if it happened once, but not if it was three times. There's something else going on if it isn't the money.

When I buy, I never have inspections done. Why? First, I know enough about the construction trades that I do not feel it is needed for me. (That's important to remember: if you don't know enough, keep having the inspection clause inserted in your offers).) Secondly, the properties that I buy all need work - it's the work that I do that gives me my profit. Thirdly, the ability to make a non-contingent offer (no financing needed, no inspections, no this or that) gives me a leg up on the competition and cuts a lot of mustard with sellers, especially institutions, who are tired of buyers who cannot perform and are actually willing to sell it for less and be sure that this time it will actually close and it'll be off their hands.
Only if I was very knowledgeable about wood destroying insects, water quality, plumbing, waste management, heating, cooling, insulation, appliances, electricity, structural engineering, structural components, roofing and trees. Otherwise I would employ the services of an CT licensed ASHI member who was referred by my experienced Buyer Agent or other trusted professional. Would not let Uncle Larry do it just it because he likes going to the hardware store and talking with the guys.