Would you buy a home that already has a radon mitigation system installed in it?

Asked by juliezachabrodsky, Aurora, CO Sun Apr 28, 2013

I feel like though it has (hopefully) been resolved, its a risk not even worth considering and we shouldn't even consider that home in the search. Like smoking - lung cancer isn't worth the risk even if it only happens to some smokers - therefore i won't smoke.

Answers

5
Janna Rankin…, Agent, Coeur dAlene, ID
Sat May 4, 2013
I absolutely agree with the other commenters. If you buy a home without a radon mitigation system, your risk of radon exposure is greater than buying one WITH a system in place. Unless, of course, you pay to have one installed. Having the mitigation system already in place is a bonus.
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
Hi Julie

It will be a big plus to have an abatement system in place.

Ruth
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat May 4, 2013
Julie,

I would say that most homes in the Denver have some level of radon in the basement. If there is a mitigation system in place and working, I would consider that a big plus and not a negative. It may serve you well to do a little more research n the subject before making a final decision on this matter. Talk to your Buyer's Agent and a professional about this as well. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a home with a radon mitigation system installed. All the best.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Realestate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Shannon Mill…, Agent, Evergreen, CO
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Absolutely! In the mountains of Colorado it is pretty common to find radon levels that are above the standard. It comes from the ground. Unfortunately, it is not a requirement to inspect for radon, but is highly encouraged by realtors. Just because you find a house without a radon mitigation system, does not mean that it is radon free....it just may not have ever been tested. Some homes even need more than one system installed if the levels are too high. Finding a home with the mitigation system already installed means that it was tested and they tried to correct the problem...that is good! I would still recommend asking for what the radon reading was after the mitigation system was installed and getting it tested again yourself for your peace of mind.
Karen Gustaf…, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Hi Julie,

Many, many homes in the greater Denver area have radon levels above the 4.0 EPA standard. Buying a home that already has a mitigation system installed is a PLUS! Any home that you purchase may have elevated levels, and you many want to have the home tested. Many home inspectors will perform this testing as a part of their inspection. There are many mitigation companies who will install mitigation systems - the cost is anywhere from $700 to $2,000 (ballpark) depending on the home.

Best wishes with your house hunting!

Cheers,
Karen