Would you advise against purchasing in the Commons in Grand Oaks in Charleston, SC? It is a Portraits Home community that looks like it was abandoned

Asked by charleston buyer, Charleston, SC Sun Jul 11, 2010

feedback from current residents or realtors welcome!

Answers

4
Imogene Thom…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun Sep 5, 2010
I would not hesitate to purchase one of the townhomes or duplexes in The Commons. The Portrait Company has a sister company that will be taking over the community once the foreclosure is completed. It should be business as usual in a couple of years. There are some outstanding deals to be had in the complex and don't forget it is part of the beautiful Grand Oaks Plantation subdivision with the new community center located right at the entrance. It would not be a good investment if you are planning on moving within the next two years. The area will need time to "come back", but some great deals are available in The Commons. The units are well built, close to Hwy. 526 and a lot of home for the money. Imogene Thomas 843-860-2247
Web Reference:  http://www.ImogeneThomas.com
Stephanie Da…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sat Aug 14, 2010
charleston buyer,

I've shown those townhomes recently and had the same concerns. My client decided not to purchase there so I didn't look into it too much. If my buyer had been interested in moving forward on the property I would have contacted the builder to see what plans there are, if any, to finish the community.

Good luck and if I can help you please let me know.

Stephanie
Carolina One Real Estate
Maureen Cody, , Charleston, SC
Mon Aug 9, 2010
Dear charleston buyer,

This link will take you to the current active listings in that subssection.

http://ctarmls.com/CharlestonReports/ListitLib/show_report.a…

This link will show all sold, pending, and contingent activity:

I would suggest that you take a look for yourself before taking it off your list.

If I can help you further please let me know.

Maureen
JamesThompson, , Charleston, SC
Mon Jul 12, 2010
As a Realtor and a General Contractor I would say there are many factors to be considered when looking at a community that looks to have been abandoned. First and foremost what is the condition of the home? Are there any construction defects? What is the price of the home? Are you getting a GREAT deal? How many vacant lots are there on the same street? Is the landscape completed in the common areas? The builder more than likely will complete the neighborhood or possibly another builder will but only when the demand is there. A builder can not afford to have very much inventory on hand, even if they are a national builder like Portrait. With that being said, if you would like to meet and discuss these and many more factors please contact me at 843-296-5006or email me at jdt@scpropertypros.com