Would love for someone, not a Realtor, to give me opinions on the Bronx and Yonkers in terms of affordable?

Asked by Alison, Atlanta, GA Sun May 4, 2008

areas that are relatively safe.
I know Realtors aren't allowed to comment on such things. Would really love some honest opinions/advice.

Answers

4
Steve Ward, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue May 6, 2008
Our family is looking to relocate from Manhattan to Westchester. We would like the affordability of Yonkers, but we have to rule it out based on the poor performance of the public school district. I teach in a Westchester College and I see a big difference in students from Yonkers who attended private or parochial schools versus those who attended the Yonkers public school system. If you have kids, you'd be better off in the Bronx at say, PS 24 in Riverdale.
Alison, , Atlanta, GA
Thu May 8, 2008
thanks for the responses so far. Schools are not a concern for us. We have a one year old son, but we don't plan to be in the area for more than 4 years so he most likely won't be going to school there.
Lisa, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu May 8, 2008
I am also looking to purchase in yonkers, through my research, Pearls Hawthorne is your best school choice in yonkers as well as the Montessori; if you go to greatschools.net they will give you all of the scores.
Peter A Harr…, , 10708
Sun May 4, 2008
Hi

I believe you asked this question yesterday in a way that Realtors cannot answer. However, discussing realtive pricing is fine. I can speak to Yonkers and can tell you that regardless if you are looking for a house, condo or coop, Yonkers has some of the most afforable pricing in Westchester. The best way to go about this is to first speak to your bank and discuss what you can afford. Lending guidelines have been tightened as you know so this is a very important step. One you have this information and know how much you can put down as a downpayment, then you can start searching. My website has the entire Westchesr MLS on it for searching by price and area, and there are other sites as well. Once you find things that interest you, a Realtor can help you figure out where they are located in the city, and you can take a look at them. In the end you have to decide what you like and do not like. People opinions are just that - opinions. Opinions can be useful but sometimes they are not so take them with skepticsm. You need objective information and a personal inspection to really make a decision properly. Good luck!