Would like to know how are the schools Ridgewood NJ along with commuting time to NYC (Upper east Side in the?

Asked by Tee, 10467 Sun Jul 20, 2008

60's)? Planning on making a move from the Bronx to NJ with $550,000 budget.

Answers

10
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Perc,

I am interesed in Tee's response and what has happened with their purchase.

Because of your other posts, I am not interested in bantering with you about your interests.
If real buyers are interested I am sure there will be current posts with questions that will be answered accordingly.

You have interest in Ridgewood? Post some questions and I am sure someone will respond to you.

I am pretty sure that no one has looked at this thread, other then you, since July of 2008.
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Tee-

It is noted that your post was posted in 2008.. and one and a half years later we are wondering if you bought that house in Ridgewood.. The market has tanked a bit since you posted this post looking for a home and I am sure there are many bargains right now in Ridgewood.

Where did you buy? How is the commute?

I know it is 16 months after you posted, but, someone dredged up the question, so lets see how you did!
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hi Tee,

No complaints at all about Ridgewood. Great schools, great community and downtown. However for $550,000 you will not find anything very good in Ridgewood. Maybe a small Cape that needs work or is located on a busy road. Also, your commute to the upper East side will approach 90 minutes or even slightly more. The train ride alone is 50-70 minutes to Penn Station without delays, and there are always delays. Plus you have to get to the train, transfer in Secaucus, and get to your destination in the 60's. Just want you to have a realistic picture, rather than false promises. The bus is somewhat quicker, sometimes, but is a cramped and crowded way to spend 2-3 hours of your daily life and is always subject to the vagaries of traffic jams and construction delays that permeate the New York approaches.

Too many participants here seem to be in the business of "selling" and "pushing" their hometowns without regard to realities and the true picture. Ridgewood is a lovely town, but it's just another town with positives and negatives, which include unbelievably high taxes and heavy traffic. I really believe my job as a buyers agent is to throw away the "pom-poms" and provide real data with which to make an important decision. Living in a town is not "going out to dinner" and "hanging out at the art gallery". It is more about daily expenses, getting from point A to point B, getting the kids dressed and off to school, etc.

I've shown many, many, many homes in Ridgewood for $525,000 and believe me you don't get much for that price. And you will be paying close to $10,000/year in taxes for a house in that range. Is it worth it? Is it worth the so-called "prestige"? That is an individual decision of course. A decision that needs to be made with facts, not romance.

-Marc
Web Reference:  http://www.marcpaolella.com
Percolator M…, , Bergen County, NJ
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Because of my other posts? Or do you mean the ones you made to a sincere and on topic post of mine that resulted in one of your peers writing an entire blog entry about your rudeness?

And you say you are interested in Tee's response but then say that no one besides me has looked at the thread? Those statements contradict. It shows again what your motivation was for posting.

I attempted to engage you in earnest as an olive branch but you have again responded with petulance.

As for Ridgewood it is where I live and I have bought and sold several homes here. (All transactions represented by agents, for the record.) And yes I am looking again. So I do have an interest, and if you want to answer my questions about where you see bargains here you referred to please do.

As has been noted in the other thread, let's keep this on topic.
Sharon Kozinn, Agent, Hillsdale, NJ
Sun Jul 20, 2008
Many people move to RIdgewood for the schools, and the great sense of community. The commute is very good,either by bus or train. Ridgewood has great stores, restaurants and unique businesses that make up it's vibrant downtown.
Please feel free to contact me through my website if you would like some information on listings. You will find a variety of houses in your price range.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Sharon Kozinn
Web Reference:  http://sharonkozinn.com
Joan Prout, , Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Jul 20, 2008
Contact my friend Roberta Adelman at RE/MAX Traditions Real Estate. (973) 953-2616. She can answer all your questions about Ridgewood. She's the best. Tell her I sent you.

Joan Prout, MBA
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Villa REALTORS
Jersey City, NJ
mailto:Joan@JoanProut.com
800-671-0596x1
Web Reference:  http://www.JoanProut.com
Vita Strakhm…, , 07446
Sun Jul 20, 2008
Ridgewood schools are definitely one of the top rated schools; Ridgewood has both a train and a bus terminal which would take you into the city in about an hour. If you require any additional information, feel free to contact me directly.
Web Reference:  http://www.vitastrakhman.com
Percolator M…, , Bergen County, NJ
Fri Dec 11, 2009
Yes I would also be interested to know.

It's also quite possible that the others looking in Ridgewood would come here and appreciate up to date information. I am sure Tee is not the last to look there.

Mr. Sacktig, since you are an industry professional, I am sure any information you have about what the market is doing in Ridgewood would be valuable as well, and people would love to hear about the bargains you refer to. I know I would.
Percolator M…, , Bergen County, NJ
Mon Dec 7, 2009
Yes, housing is expensive in Ridgewood. Do you know why that is? People want to live there. It's a great place with a real sense of community, much more so than other towns where you can admittedly get more house for the money and maybe pay less in taxes.

My recommendation is to come check it out and spend some time here. Also, if you can fit it in, drive here (VERY) early one morning and do the commute to NYC yourself. You don't want to be surprised after you close! I recommend buying walking distance to the train if you plan to take that.
Peter J Roge…, Agent, Mahwah, NJ
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Ridgewood is one of 2 or 3 towns in the area than People from NYC like the best. (Stores, sidewalk cafes etc). The schools are fantastic. The high school rates 24 in the state (out of over 300).
or mid town you would be better taking the bus. The Park and Ride on Rte 17 will get you an express bus to the Port Authority that takes 35 minutes. The train station is in the center of town but the train will take longer.
At the moment there are 26 houses for sale in your price range. Mostly smaller Cape Cod's with 3 beds and 2 baths that have been nicely updated. This is one of the towns that is well known for expanding this type of house and a favorite way of getting into the town is to buy an older one and updating and expanding as you go along.
fydell@yahoo.com.