Working with someone via phone and email to get pre approved for loan. Checked the website and it seem to be valid. Is this process safe?

Asked by Bon756bon, Toledo, OH Mon Sep 9, 2013

Answers

8
Kimberly Law…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Fairfield, OH
Tue Sep 10, 2013
Hi, I have a lot of people that I work with in that way. For that matter, I visit Toledo often too. So, depending on who you're working with, they may be more local than you think.. obviously, that's not always that case. A mortgage, buying a home, that's one of the most important decisions you'll make in your life. Do what is comfortable with you. If you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling about them or their customer service, then it's probably not a good choice. If you prefer the face to face interaction but like and know how to use technology, ask them to Skype. If you want to rub elbows with someone, then walk in to a local office and ask to speak with someone. It's more about what makes you comfortable.. just my two cents.. oh, you can always check the Better Business Bureau and/or do basic searches on the loan officer or the company too. Just remember that I'd say most people are reluctant or too busy to make nice comments about people yet they are quick to pass/post bad comments. Best wishes, Kim Lawson, Ohio Licensed Mortgage Loan Originator. Contact and licensing information can be found on my profile.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Tue Sep 10, 2013
It can be safe, just be sure they are reputable and understand your local market. Working with a referral from someone you know is also a great way to go.

Chris
Linda Grey, Agent, Port Orange, FL
Tue Sep 10, 2013
The only "online" lender I would recommend is Quicken Loans because I have dealt with them in the past and they were on the ball. Other that that I always suggest my buyers get pre-approved by a local lender so that you know that the property will close and your Realtor should have a list of lenders for you to choose from.

Hope that helps, best of luck with your home purchase.
Jim Beatty, , Toledo, OH
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Why go through an internet stranger? There are lots of local lenders you can deal with face to face.

Maybe start with who ever it is where you do your banking.

Try a google search for "real estate loans, Toledo, Ohio" and look through the list that comes up.

I'm sure there are some good ones online, but if you're not sure they're legit, what would it hurt to try locally?
Cindy Keil, Agent, Omaha, IA
Mon Sep 9, 2013
I suggest you use a local lender rather than an "online" lender as you can go directly to their office , creates peace of mind. If you need some lenders that our clients "rave " about, please feel free to contact me.

cindy@cindykeil.com
Connie Johns, Agent, Maumee, OH
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Hi BonBon been awhile since we spoke. Please give me a call I will be happy to get you to a reputable local lender
Dan Novotny, Agent, Perrysburg, OH
Mon Sep 9, 2013
What is the name of the company?
Vantage Point Bank. I phone the main office in PA and was told they have several small offices within the US that deal with mortgages.
Flag Mon Sep 9, 2013
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Mon Sep 9, 2013
If you are asking this question, you need to go visit their office.