Woburn, Wilmington, or Wakefield which town to consider for 500K

Asked by Mathew J, Massachusetts Sat Jul 24, 2010

Looking for good school system, new or newer construction (move in condition), and nice areas.

Wondering which of these three towns is the best to look in

Answers

7
RoostWise Team’s answer
RoostWise Te…, Agent, Bedford, MA
Wed Aug 18, 2010
I am Lexington Agent and live in West Woburn. You can definitely get more for your housing dollar in Wilmington and all three towns are fantastic. In Woburn, we've been beaten on for our schools but they are getting better and better every year. People flock to Woburn because of it's great location and I truly believe that in ten years time it will surpass MANY towns school systems. Add that to Woburn's higher home values (people can't believe you can get a better house in Wakefield for less than Woburn in many neighborhoods) and it puts Woburn in a great position for resale.
Jeani Haynes, Agent, MA,
Thu Jun 12, 2014
Woburn is a city at the cross roads of 93 and 95 so the location is unbeatable. There is a lot of businesses in Woburn to carry the weight, so the property taxes are low.
Wakefield is very nice with tree lined streets and a lively down town.
Wilmington I feel is the more rural of the three however there is still plenty of shopping centers.
schools you will have to look up.
RoostWise Te…, Agent, Bedford, MA
Sat Sep 28, 2013
2010 question...I hate when I do that Janine :)
Janine Elkho…, Agent, Woburn, MA
Sat Sep 28, 2013
Hi Mathew

I am not sure anyone of us can give you an answer about which school is better. It really depends on your needs and wants in a school.

I am pretty sure you can find a house in the 3 towns. But if I was in your shoes I would have considered visiting the website greatschools.com, checked mass education website for mcas results and visited the schools.

Best of luck of you need any help please let me know
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Sun Jul 25, 2010
Hello Matthew- I'm very familiar with all 3 towns. I would say that Wakefield is probably the "nicest", with Wilmington pretty close behind it.
A great site for unbiased town info is
http://www.city-data.com

and also for schools- http://www.greatschools.org/school/research.page

If you need any further help, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
Mathew J, Both Buyer And Seller, Massachusetts
Sun Jul 25, 2010

We are currently in Woburn but not using the schools and are looking to move into a better school system, every site we check seems to put the Wilmington and Wakfield schools neck in neck but slightly below towns such as Andover, North Reading, Winchester and Lexington...

As you said Wilmington seems to have more new construction vs Wakefield and or Woburn, just wondering if one of these three towns was considered better/nicer than the other...

We were also looking at Medford but the school rating for that town seems much lower.

Tom and Joan…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sun Jul 25, 2010
Mathew J:

Great question and it truly depends. I am selling a home at 1 Marion St in Woburn and my clients are looking to buy in the $500K range in the towns you mentioned. It will depend whether you are already rooted in one of these towns and whether you want to change schools?

Of the three Wakefield is the most expensive and if you want new then Wilmington would be my first choice. in Woburn if your shooting for 10-15 years old the home in that price point is going to be in a suspect location such as a busy road or near power lines.

You can visit my website and if you want to chat further then please reach out to me. Best