Will we ever find a house?

Asked by Totally Disappointed, 07011 Thu Oct 30, 2008

I have been looking for a house in the Little Falls, Totowa, Cedar Grove, Caldwells, Verona, Wayne, Fairfield, Pompton Plains, etc areas for 4 years now. With the recent housing mess and years of saving a big downpayment, I can afford MAX 350k. All I ask for is: 1) Garage 2)Nice backyard for garden and BBQ 3) Basement. I would like t have but not crucial: 1) at least 1.5 Baths 2) 3 BR 3) At least one BR sized 12X14 - but if the house has potential for me to put this in then that is good enough for me. Am I dreaming or can I really find what I want?

P.S. Clifton is out unless it is Montclair Heights/Richfield Sections. School system and neighborhoods are very important to us. I am a month to month renter with excellent credit - I can close at any time. So, my only problem seems to be finding what we want.

Answers

5
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Totally Disappointed,

Agreeing with others that four years is a really long time to have been homesearching, have you found anything in that four years that you actually wrote up an offer on or have you not even come that close to finding anything that you were willing to move forward with? I understand that not every house will suit your needs and desires but sometimes you need to rewrite your must haves and can do without list and see if it still makes sense. You also need to look at the big picture as far as your cap of $350,000. You may find a home in Cedar Grove for $350,000 and a home in Verona for $350,000 but Verona's taxes are much higher than Cedar Grove thus $350,000 may need a little tweaking when buying in Verona.

Are you currently working with a buyer's agent? If so, do they know and understand your desires and needs? Based on your criteria, I don't see it impossible to get a home. Are you looking for a certain style like ranch, bi-level, etc? Have you seen all the inventory or just looking for what's on your list? Sometimes you may need to see homes that aren't matching up to your list to realize you may be missing out on some other homes with really great features. There are buyers who are just looking for colonials but then never find one and then you show them a different style home and they realize colonials are so not what they wanted afterall.

I live in Fairfield, West Essex is my direct market, as well as Verona and Cedar Grove. In fact, my Cedar Grove listing that closed in September was 48 days on market. Being former resident of Little Falls, I know the Little Falls market and surrounding market areas very well and can assist you in finding a home.

Please feel free to contact me directly. Good luck to you. You seem like the perfect buyer -- perhaps you just need the perfect agent to turn your dreams into reality.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Home buying, particularly the first time, can be frustrating. Your requirements do not seem out of the question.
You need to be patient, and work with a REALTOR who's willing to go the distance. Interview a few, or check http://www.REBAC.net for buyers agents in your area. When you find an agent you like and will work hard for you, stick with them, they'll get the job done!

Laura Giannotta
Keller Wliiams Atlantic Shore
609-384-6121
Peter J Roge…, Agent, Mahwah, NJ
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Its real tough for anyone to find the home of their choice but there are some tips to make it easier. Firstly get a pre approval from a reputable mortgage person. This will identify the value of what you can afford. Secondly try to narrow your choice of town. Stick to those that fulfill your requirements for schools, commuting and general desirability. Thirdly pick a realtor to help you. As a buyer the realtors services are free. What we can do is filter the listings as they come on the market to eliminate those that do not meet your needs. I can, for example send you only those houses that have the 5 or 6 attributes you want. You obviously are comfortable with computers so those listings can be in you inbox each morning.
Want to know more drop me an email.
I live in North Haledon and before that Montclair so I know the whole area well.
Sloan Berman, Agent, Montclair, NJ
Thu Oct 30, 2008
I just did a search for you within your parameters and found several homes which you might consider -- in Verona, Little Falls and Montclair.

If you aren't working with an agent or are dissatisfied with the service you're getting from your agent, I'd be happy to share the information I've found and help you find a home. Four years is a long time to be looking!

I can be reached at 973-509-3970 or email me at sloan-berman@burgdorff.com.
Jeannie Bons…, , Rockaway, NJ
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Dear Totally Disappointed,
My first question to you is...are you working with a realtor? If so, have you outlined your wants/needs with this person? If this is the case, and you have not found a home, I would suggest looking for an agent who can help you find what you are looking for. In my area, these are very reasonable requests.

Second, don't focus on the big number, seriously. What you need to focus on is what you will be paying monthly for your mortgage, taxes and insurance. Then back into the big number. In some cases, you might find that you can afford more than you are thinking (thus opening a whole new pool of homes available to you). I recommend you talk to someone who can confidently help you with this. If you don't know someone, feel free to contact me and I can direct you to a qualified person.