Knikki2000, Renter in 60076

Will a real estate agent work worth some one who has already chosen a property to buy?

Asked by Knikki2000, 60076 Mon May 13, 2013

We ate renting a house that or landlord has decided to sell. We were offered the home for purchase and it had not been listed at all. We are not familiar with the whole purchase process. Who/how should we be talking to someone to give us through this process?

We have talked to the bank and have a mortgage agent. Should we be looking for a real estate agent or lawyer to work with?

I am sure that a real estate agent would be a big help, but I am not sure it is an option worth the property not being listed and therefore no agent fees really being paid.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Josh Legum, Home Seller, West Rogers Park, Chicago, IL
Tue Oct 22, 2013
You dont need a real estate agent. They just help procure places to purchase/sell .You need a real estate attorney.
0 votes
Mary LOU Sci…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Wed May 15, 2013
As all the other agent comments have explained, yes an agent will be willing to work with you on a transaction that you are considering. Most important is to get a comparative Market Analysis to see if the price agreed upon is market price. I would be happy to go over the numbers with you and see if the seller is willing to coop a broker commission with me. If not, I would still be happy to give you an idea of whether or not you are paying a fair price. I am a longtime Skokie area resident and have been Top
producing agent in my office for the past 10 years.
Feel free to search my website at or call me at 847/691-8135
Mary Lou Scinto Allen
Century 21 Affiliated
4632 Church St.
Skokie, IL 60076
0 votes
Joanne Matik, Agent, Glenview, IL
Tue May 14, 2013
Well ideally, you really want an agent who has been working in Skokie with clients buying and selling the type of home you are buying now. I have been working with buying and seller for both attached properties and detached properties in Skokie. I have an inspection today on one as a matter of fact.

Attorneys are necessary to represent you leagally and Realtors are necessary to represent you fiduciarily, looking out for your financial interests. No one can do that better than a Broker who has been representing other clients in the area. A Comparitive Market Anaysis is one of the services provided by me. There are different ways of evaluating a property. I will perform a market analysis for you and explain it to you. I will negotiate for you with the landlord.

You need an agent experienced enough to recognize trends and techniques being used in the current, local market. I have been licensed since 1988. I am a Fourth Generation Award
Winning Broker, I have been a Relocation Specialist working for a large real estate firm on the North Shore. I have also been a Loan Officer. I look forward to hearing from you! Joanne Matik GRI, CRS, SFR 847-309-2291
0 votes
Darin Marcus, , Northbrook, IL
Mon May 13, 2013
To answer your question, yes, as a Realtor I will help you and guide you through the process of purchasing the home. An attorney will be able to facilitate the transaction on their own without an agent, but law is their expertise. Helping people buy, sell, and rent homes is my expertise. I would represent you and make sure you are paying market value, which would be fair for both you and the seller. Whether the property is listed or not doesn't matter. Give me a call and I can share more details about this with you.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Paul Cionczyk, Agent, GLENVIEW, IL
Mon May 13, 2013
Hi There.
An agent would be helpful in helping you make sure the price the landlord is asking is fair. The landlord may not be willing to "co-op" with an agent as the agent didn't really help you find the home. Possible they will, but not probable as it dips into their profitability.

I definitely recommend that you work with at least a qualified REAL ESTATE attorney. Make sure they work with real estate and not other areas so that the know what they should be looking for in terms of keeping your interests in mind. You are welcome to contact me, and I can give you several recommended real estate attorneys in our area if you would like them.

I can also refer you to a couple other mortgage brokers in case you would like to shop around to make sure you are getting the best rates and pricing for your loan. I'm a real estate broker in Glenview, so I work in the area and it would be local referrals that we use all the time.

Message me if you would like any referrals, or have any questions about the buying process and I'll do what I can to answer them for you.

Thumbs up on this post if you like it :)

Good Luck on the home buying process

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | |
0 votes
Geoff Ommen, Agent, Barrington, IL
Mon May 13, 2013
In for sale by owner transactions, the seller always wins (if they can get it sold). You need to determine a few things.

Is the home worth what they are asking?
Are the purchase terms favorable?
How does the deal compare to the market?

Illinois requires an attorney to help facilitate the transaction. That is a given. Although you can sign a purchase contract, it should go in front of an attorney. A real estate agent can step in to help facilitate the overall transaction or represent you. Our state laws make the agent responsible to the hiring party. It all depends on how it is set up.

I would be happy to talk with you over the phone more in detail tomorrow. You seem to be thinking about this a lot. At the very least you should understand the process before moving forward.

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird & Warner
0 votes
Bettina Robs…, Agent, Davie, FL
Mon May 13, 2013
An agent may be able to get the seller to pay a partial commission for assistance with the paperwork and the many other items that come up in the closing process. If you were my client would offer to sit down with both you and the seller to see what could be worked out for the benefit of all. You would simply tell the seller you wanted to work with an agent and ask if they would be willing to have a no obligation meeting. Short of that I highly suggest you use an attorney. Shop around and be sure they have a real estate specialty. What State are you in? They may have some regulations regarding closing transactions that would also apply.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more