Why property tax in Strousburg is so much highter than other cities ?

Asked by James Mansford, 18344 Tue Dec 16, 2008

I found many attractively priced properties for sale in E. Stroudsburg, but when I look at the property tax, it is 2 or 3 times higher than other cities. This makes it not so attractive anymore. Any experts know why is it so high ? Is there anyway to lower it ? Are they building many more schools in E. Strousburg, that makes the property tax so high ?

Answers

4
Sealord, Home Buyer, Stroudsburg, PA
Tue Oct 11, 2016
Stroudsburg is BROKE! - and rather than cut services - the 'great minds' that caused the city to go broke in the first place - decided it's best to RAISE PROPERTY TAXES! - the result? - people are DUMPING their homes & moving out! - on my property - 4 bedroom 2.5 baths 2192 square feet - in 2009 my taxes were $820 - today $6,349 (they were as high as $6,583 in 2014) - the value of my home has dropped in HALF! - and currently there are 7 homes on my street alone in FORECLOSER - my advise - STAY OUT OF STROUSBURG...
Egharris72, Home Buyer, Montgomery, AL
Sun Nov 22, 2015
I want tobuy a house that is 4 bedrooms two and a half bathrooms at 2200 square feet ...
can someone give me a straight answer as to how much my property taxes would be per year
in Stroudsburg or east Stroudsburg????
Thanx
DON'T DO IT! - read up and see what is going on in Stroudsburg - the city is BROKE!
Flag Tue Oct 11, 2016
Jenny, Home Owner, Phillipsburg, NJ
Thu Jan 17, 2013
i have heard its based on bedrooms and bathrooms but i cant understand that . i was looking at a 6,000 sq ft home and the tax was $19,000 A YEAR! and this was common in e stroudsburg.
Lisa Sanders…, Agent, Stroudsburg, PA
Tue Dec 23, 2008
It is hard to comment without knowing what you are comparing to. But generally, tax assessments are based on value, which is based on size of home & property, age, amenities, etc. Ideally, similar homes within the county will have the same tax assessment, although it does not always work that way because values can vary based on location...things closer to the Delaware Water Gap tend to be valued higher, some neighborhoods are worth more, etc.

The other factor that determines the taxes is the individual municipality and school districts' tax rate, and all of our districts have grown over the past several years, increasing the need for tax revenue.

So, a combination of these two factors, value & tax rate, account for the tax amounts you are seeing. There are ways to appeal the tax assessments through the county if a homeowner feels they are unfairly assessed.

If you have specific properties you are comparing that you would like further analysis of, please do not hesitate to contact me.