Why is the tax so high in some areas?

Asked by Garyfarnworth, San Pedro, CA Wed Jul 31, 2013

Answers

4
Michael Shin…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Hello Gary,

Taxes in Tucson, which is in Pima County, are actually quite low compared to the national average. We are roughly 1.25% of the assessed value. This valuation is down by the county assessor Bill Staples and his team.

In comparison to California, our taxes are much lower and so is our cost of living! What most people don't realize is that you are able to fight your tax valuation and often get it lowered. I would be more than happy to direct you to some great resources. Even better, it often does not cost you a dime out of pocket. I hope that this information has helped and strongly suggest you partner with a local Realtor that can guide you through the process and answer any questions. Please take a look at my profile and past client reviews and I would be more than happy to discuss your endeavors.

Michael Shiner
http://www.tucsonrealestateliving.com
Shawn Devoid, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Hi Gary,

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing what you are referring to. Are you looking at properties with some acreage involved? If you are, some of the homes may have just enough land for the home itself. I found a current example with 4.77 acres, priced at $550,000 & taxed at $4636. A home for sale just around the corner is listed at $399,000 with taxes of $9106. That's because this home is on a 14.8 acre lot, enough to split the parcel into four separate parcels, with four homes. The land is appraised at $647,100, while the land in the first example is appraised at $0.

I'd love to have more information- I'm very curious! Feel free to contact me through Trulia or directly at the information below.

Shawn Devoid
Chartered Real Estate Consultant
Direct:520-352-9111
shawndevoid@tierraantigua.com
Ric Mills, Agent, Oro Valley, AZ
Wed Jul 31, 2013
Great question. Az taxes RE on it's "assessed value" . That is the assessed value of the land and improvements and most of the areas have a tax of 1 to 1.5% of assessed value. So the more land or improvements the higher the assessed value and taxes. Actually Az has a low Re tax compared to many states. Texas, for example, most of the urban developments are assessed at 2.5 to 3.5% on their assessed value. The more rural you go the lower the tax in almost all cases. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further.
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Wed Jul 31, 2013
In Pima County property taxes are based on assessed value, higher the value higher the taxes. There are other things that go into it as well, depending on the school district the property is in and etc. In general Pima County charges 10% of tax assessed value, if a property is in a historic subdivision, has been nominated historic, is used for primary residence that rate drops to 5%.

Hope that helps answer your taxes question, was not sure exactly what you are asking.

Are you pre-approved with a lender? If not, that should be any potential buyers first step. Next, start a relationship with a local Realtor. Please click on my profile to learn more about me, including reviews written by past clients. Give me a call with questions or concerns.

Best of luck.

Spirit

Spirit Messingham, PLLC
3rd Generation Full-Time Realtor®
Tierra Antigua Realty
Direct (520) 471-6900
Fax (866) 365-5208
SpiritRealty@cox.net
http://www.TierraAntigua.com