Why is it that when I try to inquire about a property on Trulia, it's usually already sold or in contract? Why does Trulia even bother to list them?

Asked by Madison J Gray, 11233 Mon Jul 29, 2013

Answers

10
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Larry, Joseph, Anna and Nick expressed a good understanding of how data appears and is maintained on aggregate websites like Trulia. The others are disseminating bad information. Real Estate profossionals, in no way, have an responsibility for faulty data appearing on aggregare websits.
The faulty data you see is the results of the deliberate choices the owners of the website make.
-
A recent west coast company completed a study in spring 2013 that reveal 30% of the informatin displayed on aggregate websites is incorrect or FALSE! That means those using aggregate websites are using falise, outdated and incorrect information.
-
Trulia states their listing information comes from a 3rd party data aggregator called Listhub. (note: Listbub is NOT the Multiple Listing Serivce.) Other data comes from RealtyTrac, the origin of massive volumes of incorrect, deceptive, and fabricated data.
-
Listbub replaces data it received with information from public records.This is what is sent to Trulia. Then Trulia changes the data to suit their purposes. Those purposes are to allow site visitors to contact those agents who way to be advertised in preference of the agent who actually listed the property for sale. This is ok. Trulia is a business, and avertising is their business.
-
Be aware, when a home seller unwittingly follows their agents advise to advertise their home on the internet, (real, serious, qualified buyers use the MLS, that is extremely important to know) they are making a decision that means there is not control over where, how, what and when there data apppears...AND WHO THAT DATA IS ATTACHED TO.
-
The agent who creates the listing data does not give consent for the data to appear on the hundreds or aggregate real estate sites. The agent may be unaware the home appears on 'RedHotCribsInTula.com" The real estate professional has know way of know and no way of correcting faulty data permeating the darkest regions of the internet.
-
Be aware, the reason you are on Trulia is because you expected to find LOTS OF HOMES FOR SALE! It is of paramount importance for aggregate websites to be able to annouce "THere are 4 zillion homes for sale at http://www.???.com" That statement and the listing count of the website gives the compapny credibilbity in the eyes of the media. As so, based on faulty data, Zillow and RealtyTrac are seen by the media as 'experts' of their fabricated kingdoms. If you've ever looked at those zestimates, from an informed position, you will realize just how faulty that 'expert' designation has become.
-
The end result is accurate, timely data serves a counter purpose to the goals of aggregare websites.
But aggregare websites are great for entertainment purposes!
-
If you are serious about buying or selling real estate you need to promote yourself to serious tools. A local, Brooklyn, real estate professional can 'connect' you to serious resources. You need timely, accurate, comprehensive, reliable, accountable information. If you are serious, pick up the phone and give a professional a call.
-
Friends won't let their friends make important decisions based on what they see on aggregate websites. So, tell your friends.

Best of success to you.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Trulia doesn't pay for it's listing information (nor does Zillow) and much of what they list is either outdated or supplied by highly questionable sources. If you want the most up to date current information you'd be better off using a local Realtor. I've attached a link below on how to find a great Buiyer Broker to assist you and you can always check out the Find an Agent tab at the top of every Trulia page and look for one in Brooklyn.

Good luck and happy house hunting.
Luke Constan…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Good morning Madison,

Trulia has many different sources, but so does any good Realtor. When you go to a real estate agency, The information is current. Trulia is a great source, but a good Realtor would be better.

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Joseph Roraff, Agent, Onalaska, WI
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Trulia just pulls in feeds from other listing sources. They want as many listings as they can get so they are meet more searches on internet search engines
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Keep in mind that multiple sources feed into online sites, therefore if the information is not updated by the feeding source, inaccuracies can and do occur; for accurate and up to date information, consider working with an agent of your own....
Nick Sakalis, Agent, Syosset, NY
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Often the sources where Trulia receives its information is not updated. The best thing you can do is work with a Real Estate Agent who will give you up to date info on the properties you see through Trulia.
Aaron Eagle, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Madison, how are you?

I know it frustrating. Some of my buyers tell me the same thing and I come across that as well.

Other websites feed into Trulia as well as Agents/ Brokers create listing there. If the other websites are not updated correctly then Trulia would not be updated and if the Agents/ Brokers do not update Trulia it would be incorrect as well.

I would love to assist in your search. I would take a stressful and difficult task off your plate.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Aaron J. Eagle
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Bergen Basin Realty
Office #: 718-763-4110
Cell #: 718-730-0096
Email Address: aeagle124@gmail.com
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Mon Jul 29, 2013
You have to call the listing agent. Sometimes the agent does not update the status on MLS and Trulia has know way of knowing this. I personally put my listings on Trulia as Sale Pending the moment the go under contract so people know the home is no longer being shown
Chris & Mich…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Mon Jul 29, 2013
I've had this problem too with buyers calling me asking about properties that are already under contract. The problem in AZ is that there is no distinction in Trulia between "active" and UCB (under contract accepting backups). This is especially problematic with short sale listings that can sit in UCB for months
I advise my buyers to rely on the listings and portal send to them by me and to use Trulia is a rough guide to whats available only.
Web Reference:  http://thespaldingteam.com
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Dear Madison:

Quite often when a property goes into contract the agent continues to market the property as a precautionary measure just in case the deal was to falter. Sometimes if a property is a very good deal it can get sold in a matter of days or hours, hence it is hard to keep the database fully updated each time a deal is procured.

For buyers this can be frustrating, but it is something that most likely will not change anytime soon. They say that 90% of home buyers right now start their search for a property online. I would dare to say that 98% of the time the buyer completes their search by having a real estate agent contact them to tell them about a great new listing, and the buyer purchases that property before it even gets to be placed online! This is why it is very important for consumers and buyers to make sure that they are working with a professional agent who will make sure that they get to see all the properties that may be good for them before they get into contract!

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me direct. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com