Why is Chase -lender of prior owner- still claiming to be escrow with Tax Collector on my property after purchase. Need help. Details below.

Asked by Tom, Jacksonville, FL Tue Dec 17, 2013

Own my property for 3 years. Clear title. No mortgage. Chase was the holder of prior owner mortgage and escrow agent to pay taxes-insurance. Public records show that Release of Mortgage was filed and recorded prior to my purchase - a well known law office certified clear title on the property and filed our deed. Question 1: why on earth is Chase still claiming to be escrow with the Tax Collector, who in turn records them on MY tax bill. The tax collector sent 2 letters in the past 3 years to chase telling them they are no longer an escrow- I have copies of the letters.The tax collector claims that I have to tell chase to stop requesting info. I tried contacting chase without results -they do not care. I also have no relationship with Chase.
Question 2: Why is the Tax Collector NOT challenging Chase's claim since they know that chase doesn't have any right to claim or manage any interest in my property. Do big banks trump property rights nowadays? Please enlighten me.

Answers

2
Patti ODwyer, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Dec 17, 2013
I would think the tax collector is doing it in case your circumstances have changed. Chase just probably doesn't have time nor cares about this. I would suggest going back to your closing atty and ask as a courtesy they write a letter to chase to remove themselves immediately from the escrow position. Attys get more attention than homeowners any day.
Sorry. It is Patti, of course. Thanks again for your insight.
Flag Tue Dec 17, 2013
Good idea Patty. Thank you for your input.
Flag Tue Dec 17, 2013
John Bennett, Agent, Orlando, FL
Tue Dec 17, 2013
We are Realtors, not Lawyers. Your question needs to be asked to a Attorney that is up to speed with Real Estate and REO's. If you ask I bet a Jacksonville Realtor might lead you to a Real Estate Attorney that could help. Your title company also may be of help.