Why can't I get a real answer from an agent on short sales?

Asked by Gigig, Alexandria County, VA Wed Feb 24, 2010

I grew up in Palos Verdes and am ready to move back with my family to Orange County. I have been watching home prices and tried to find a good agent, but I keep getting conflicting information on short sales. Isn't there a real answer to my questions? I'm frustrated and don't really know who to work with.

Answers

70
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hi again Gigi,

The responses here really show how complicated short sales can be. The basics of a short sale are this:

1) list and find buyer
2) submit hardship package to bank(s) for approval of buyer's offer
3) banks do an independent appraisal to determine value (BPO, done by a Realtor, not appraiser)
4) approval or denial of terms by short sale lender(s)

Then the normal escrow process happens.

The confusion starts because this procedure is handled differently by each listing agent. There is no set way of doing all this.

I believe the best way to handle this is to have one buyer, open escrow and wait for approval. That's really the short sale lender's job, to approve the payoff...they do not own the home yet. I do this as a listing agent and push for it with my buyers.

I have written a number of blog posts on short sales and my website also has more information. The main thing is to find an agent that you feel comfortable with. Someone you can communicate with and that you trust. I think that Trulia has a great deal of very good agents writing blogs and answering questions. I would encourage you to read our blogs and answers and you will get a solid sense of who we are and how we work.

I have had very good success with short sales as well as equity sellers and REOs. There is no reason to believe that you are going to be forced to buy a short sale. I'd love to work with you.

Take a look at my website and if you would like to speak more....shoot me an email or give me a call.

Karen
Linda Ginex, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Step 1) drop the club.
Step 2) back away from the horse. It's dead.

;-) Just havin some fun.
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Hi Everyone,

We hoped that this tangential discussion would run it's course but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case here. At this time I think Gigig has had her questions answered and everyone has weighed in on the disagreement between Bob and Tonya. Further answers to this question will thus be removed.

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Bob, I should know better but I always feel that maybe, just maybe, somebody will see the light.
So, once more:

I can tell that you see yourself as victim here, that we are all attacking you.
But you would be wrong.
What we are attacking is your bully behavior. You, your ideas, your morals- maybe you are a wonderful human being. But you see disagreement with your ideas as a personal attack and then feel the need to attack back.
Disagreeing is not the same as attacking.
There is a tone to your posts, when addressing people who disagree with you, that is belligerent. You may not agree with it but there are a bunch of fellow agents who do. You might want to reread your posts, do some quiet reflection and for your own sake and ours, use this to learn another way of communicating your thoughts and opinions.

I personally am angry because whether I like it or not, you do represent our profession, by being on a public forum.
How you treat others is being publically displayed and its not like our profession needs more negative stereotyping.
You can stand by your ideas, just don't bully others because they don't agree with you.
Gigig, Both Buyer And Seller, Alexandria County, VA
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Bob,

I've already made contact with one of the agents here who I think I will work very well with. I have to say I was taken aback by your last comment. It seems very clear that you don't have much respect for these agents and I wonder why that is? I would think that in a small community of real estate you might run into these agents and I doubt they would want to work with you.

I'm just stunned, but I have chosen an agent to work with, so I won't need this help anymore.

For everyone else, thank you so much for your input as I feel much better now. I wish you all well in the future.

Gigi
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hi Gigi,

It's really great to have someone respond to us.....often people ask questions and disappear :). You will be able to find a nice home in our area for under a million dollars....probably well under. It really just depends on what you like.

Are you already out here? or will you be visiting in the near future? I'd love to work with you. What I normally do with relocations clients (even though you are moving back) is to take a little time and tour a few different areas to get a feel for prices and options. Mission Viejo is very nice for families. My kids spent a lot of time at the lake when they were young. I've lived here since Mission Viejo first started (1966) and I watched them fill the lake, so I have a warm spot in my heart for this city.

Once we've done some looking around, you will probably be in a better position to decide where you'd like to concentrate a search and we can then do more specific house hunting?

Karen
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
I represent myself, Bob does not do that for me. I think consumers are smarter than that.

But again...not ignoring, working. I really don't have time to check this all weekend. I was busy. I probably would have gotten into this more, clearly I'm here commenting this morning, but I was busy this weekend and didn't read any of the thread.

K
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Mon Mar 1, 2010
I'm sorry to interject here as I have not been part of this particular thread but have encountered Bob on others.

Gigig, I am with Dunes here. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for and your thread was hijacked by something that had nothing to do with you.

I can't say I represent all real estate agents but I think I feel comfortable saying that we are all somewhat horrified by a certain agent's demeanor and I feel nothing but shame that he is a member of my profession.

I am so happy that things have ended up well for you Gigig.
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Hi all,

I'm not sure what to say, I think maybe I started all this when I said that I was taken aback by one of Bob's comments. But the "blah, blah,blah" made me feel like he didn't much care about all this. I think maybe I riled him up and caused this anger. I'm really sorry!

For the record, I did decide on an agent from Trulia, and have already been out and am very happy. I don't think it's a good idea to talk about who I'm using, but it isn't Bob. I am happy to say my offer was accepted, on our terms. We open escrow today and I couldn't be happier. My agent was professional, tough and polite.

Tonya, I'm sorry if my comments are causing you problems.

Gigi
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Hi all,

Dunes, I have to ask.....you said that:

"being silent is the high road, IMO you are mistaken, it's just the road someone takes who doesn't have enough pride in what they do to confront fellow so-called Pros"

I backed out of the back-and-forth....and nothing against Tonya who I think is terrific...because I just thought this could go on forever as a snitty fight. Gigi came on here to ask a question about short sales...then questioned Bob's approach. At that point, the "conversation" took a turn away from the question...and the client...and went into personalities and name calling. I'm not taking the "high road" necessarily...but have been too busy to get into this....and what am I going to add that could be of benefit to anyone, especially Gigi?

If Gigi is still monitoring this, I would wonder what she thinks?

So I just worked this weekend.....it wasn't about showing myself as a "high-roader" but I was busy and didn't think I had anything to add.

K
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Bob,

I didn't see you asking me what area of Orange County either at first. I was more concerned with the short sale question, which the agents did address. Some of the answers were more complete than others, but I did feel that they were trying to explain things and I would expect that in a forum like this they are trying to get clients. I thought maybe you were trying too?

I hadn't picked an agent when you first joined in but your "blah blah blah" comments were very flippant and I would not work well with someone who is so disrespectful. I am very happy with the agent I chose, she is clearly familar with this area and quite clear about what to expect. I'm sure I will be in good hands.

Gigi
Dave Gubler, Agent, Foothill Ranch, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Yes, the timeframe to know if your offer is going to be accepted by the lender(s) is frustrating. In return for this waiting and the frustration it entails you will presumably get a lower than market value price. That is the real question. You have to balance your desire for a good deal with your intrinsic desire for this particular (or a particular) home. If you are willing to accept the long turnaround time then you need to be confident (hopefully with the assistance of an agent that is very good at evaluating the FMV) that the price you are offering is a good deal (below market value) but not so "low-ball" that it is ignored by the lender representatives after it is submitted. Depending upon what you offer and other conditions the lender(s) may make a counter-proposal to your offer rather than accept it outright. Be prepared for this.
You need to have a strategy in place with your agent and the sellers agent if the lender(s) counter. Short sales are frustrating yes but they often yield an excellent purchase price in relation to market value (always a moving target!) for a patient and shrewed buyer. I would not recommend buying a short sale if you are not prepared for some time to pass to resolution and for some "surprises" along the way.
Dave Gubler, Agent, Foothill Ranch, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information out there and much of the truth will be case specific on a short sale. The identity of the lender(s), the amount owed in relation to fair market value, the sellers hardship circumstances, etc. Is there a specific question or set of questions you would like us to address? I am sure we can provide you with some solid information given the opportunity.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
So as it was my perception/opinion you seemed to have "lashed out" at Bruce so then for posting so I am then subject to harassment? Geez Bob, had I known you "lashing out" was a poor term to choose as you argued & insulted Bruce in a public forum then I am very sorry.

it won't happen again
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
I also think Consumers are smart and getting smarter all the time thanks to threads like this where they can make their own judgment or form their own opinions of the thoughts/opinions/representations put forward...
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
@Gigig,

I just realized all of this pretty much answers the question I posted about Agents and Social Media...
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/Is_Social_Media_Vis…

I think since the comments on your question illustrates the reason for my asking the question so perfectly that if you come and post anything at all on my Question I'll give YOU the BEST ANSWER.........I'm serious just post Hello and the Best Answer is yours.
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Karen if you do not believe that Bob as an Agent speaking/commenting in a National Forum is seen as a representative of your Profession by the public.....OK

But next time you blog or ponder the question of the Public perception of Agents, their preconceived notions of you as Agent, how to improve that ect.....IMO you might consider reading through all of this again...
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Dunes,

I didn't mean that you were fueling the fire, but that my jumping in would be just more fuel for him. I was busy this weekend. I have no problem with your comments and respect your criticism of mine, that's ok.

But I take exception to the comment that Bob represents me...not in any way! I comment, blog and work the way I see fit. His ideas, behavior and whatever else has nothing to do with me. If the public reads this thread and decides I'm a coward, or lazy, or whatever.....I'm ok with that. I stand by my comments and my work ethic.

OC is a big place....and I do find it interesting to note that while this all was going on this weekend, I was working.

K
Barbara Q., , Bergen County, NJ
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Gigig- You may want to look at the Home Path listings for Orange County.
http://www.homepath.com/state/ca.html
Home Path financing offers: 3% down Payment, No appraisal fee, No Mortgage insurance
+ 3.5% concession toward closing costs and/or appliances.
Note: Closing costs include discount points to lower your interest rate; temporary buydown or permanent buydown.

Hope this helps!
Web Reference:  http://www.321advantage.com
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
BTW...Here's Bob's first PRIVATE EMAIL to me..

Dunes, you're just fanning the flames on this issue now. The truth is your new
BFF Tonya, STARTED the disagreement with me, and I attempted to go private so that
it WASN'T on a public forum. I didn't insult her or call her names in that
initial email:"Tonya, rather than perpetuate this in the thread, I'll
respond to you, privately. You're incorrect, and you're out of line.
Frankly, it's none of your business. Bruce doesn't need you to defend him,
and I certainly don't need you to scold me. You might consider deleting your
post, because you're just adding fuel to the fire. For your information, Bruce
attacked me, and I just stood up to him. Some people like to treat Realtors like
crap because this IS a public forum. He tried to ridicule me, and I didn't take
it. You might try staying in your own back yard. Thank you".So she got her
feathers ruffled and started to banter with you, in a manner that was intended to
goad me. I
put up with that for a while and then sent her another PRIVATE email, this time
being a bit nasty - reflecting the tone she was giving me, in the thread.That is
when she crossed the line, making the private email public, not only in the
thread, but starting a new one, where the two of you continued to gossip like a
couple of schoolgirls. That brings us up to date.So, as much as you would like to
pin this on me, this nastiness is Tonya's doing, and she has been reported to
Emily. Have a good day.

EMAILS ARE NOT PRIVATE MESSAGES JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY THEY ARE AND USING THIS PRIVACY CRAP SO YOU CAN SEND PERSONAL INSULTS TO PEOPLE IS JUST GARBAGE IN MY OPINION....

Please sue me for posting the words you wrote lol
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
@ Gigig .. You did not begin this or contribute to this, it started on another question/thread which I provided a link to below......You were a victim of Bob' s behavior not a contributor too........Best of luck

@ Karen
Fan the flames, fuel the fire.... seems to me Bob has the gas can. I sent no emails nor did I participate in the exchange, I merely expressed my opinion after watching the threads (which I did make everyone aware I was doing) ....

So do we continue?...If Bob sends me another email I'll blow this Forum up over this BS and post these comments threads on every RE magazine and site I contribute at for discussion..period

Bob's in your Profession and representing YOU...
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
A note to BOB

Just got your email........Not interested in your opinion...period
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Karen

Yes I did say that and included within the statement that it was in my opinion...Still is.

You've now given your opinion...

Gigig is of course is very welcomed to add hers and she did share some of it earlier...

If an Agent making the comments made and sending the emails sent is not worth saying something in your opinion about that's ok with me, it's not my Profession.

I do think it might be worth considering how others may perceive it and use it in forming their opinions of your Profession/ Agents when they watch that kind of thing, see the emails and all the other Agents go into silent mode...

BTW..When an Agent is revealing that another Agent has sent a string of insulting, unprofessional emails, provides the proof, is perhaps expecting (I know I was) her fellow Professionals to be as shocked and outraged as her that a representative of her Profession is representing her Profession in such a way IN A NATIONAL FORUM, PERHAPS JUST PERHAPS a "beating a dead horse" comment is not a humorous interjection but another attempt to avoid the issue presented...

Non-Professional behavior from an Agent and not just any Agent but one from YOUR COUNTY in a NATIONAL FORUM...

Also this all started on your thread/question so it's not like the behavior snuck up and surprised you on this question...http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/What_is_going_to_ha…

Just my Opinion, my honest opinion.
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Tonya, send a copy (forward the message) of any harassing emails sent through trulia to
http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Other-San_Francisco_CA-13410/ (profile)
emily@trulia.com
She will take care of that problem for you.
Eric Israel, Agent, Orange, CA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Can we all just get along?
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Hi all,

I didn't mean to attack Bob, but he really didn't seem very respectful or even nice. I've bought and sold enough real estate in my life to know that agents respond favorably to the agents they like and respect. That was my point.

On a bright side, I had a great day with someone I chose from Trulia. We wrote an offer on a home today, equity seller and I think we are going to get the house. She is very agressive and we wrote our offer that way. I listened as she spoke to the listing agent and she was just great! I'm really happy. I hope to report a success tomarrow.

Thanks again for all the help and if I misjudged Bob, then I'm really sorry. I'm sure you all know him better than I do. I'm just glad I found Trulia and my new agent.

Gigi
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Fri Feb 26, 2010
@ Bob,

All day today it seems like you are lashing out @ Bruce. We all have different view points and opinions, not any of us are the same. There is no need to defend yourself. Your stand is your stand, the same to anyone around here, right? He's new on here, can you just agree to disagree and leave it all alone? As this is a public forum where professionals and the general public (including potential cliients) are viewing/reading
Bruce Armstr…, , West Warwick, RI
Fri Feb 26, 2010
@Tonya,
I just found Trulia about a week ago and have been looking at things and profiles. I have finally joined in, I just noticed someone was really angry and rather mean, it bugged me too much so I joined. I don't plan to be very busy on here, but sometimes I just can't stay quiet.
Bob Phillips, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hello Gigig,

Quite a few answers to your inquiry. Thanks for jumping back in to clarify a thing or two. What I didn't see clarified is what price range you expect to be in - which makes a huge difference - and what communities you'll consider. A few agents here claim to be a Jack ( or Jill.) of ALL cities, but in reality, any agent's knowledge of an area starts to seriously dilute as they move out of the 5 or 10 mile radius comfort zone of their "home base".

I've been working in South County for over 33 years, probably longer than any agent here. That being said, my area of expertise encompasses everything South of Tustin to the North, and Newport on the coast, to the San Clemente border, from the coast, and inland to deepest darkest Orange County, near Saddleback Mountain.

Here are some recent posts from my Trulia Blog, which might have relevance for you:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bob_phillips/2010/02/is_that_shor…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bob_phillips/2010/02/3_factors_to…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bob_phillips/2010/02/the_number_o…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bob_phillips/2010/02/the_latest_o…

In addition, linked below is a no obligation MLS search site which you can tweak to your heart's content. Good luck in finding an agent you can trust, and in finding your new home!
Web Reference:  http://tr.im/FreeMLSSearch
Concierge Co…, Other Pro, Bloomfield, NJ
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hmm. Keep in mind most Agents do not know how much money they are going to make with
SHORT SALES, so most Agents stay away from them.
Also, Not all Agents are aware/trained how to handle a SHORT SALE.

NOTE: The process is this. (which is unfair to short sale Buyers); Owners submit hardship aps to banks. Banks approve them. Most buyers strongly believe that they will obtain the home because it's approved for sell. "NOT TRUE". After that process, Sellers in hardship seek help from Lawyers-which instruct them to foreclose instead of accepting the short sale process. Why? 1099 (TAX).

Resolve, after the foreclosure, distressed owners file for bankruptcy (easy way out).
Even though it hurts the economy. I hate to add this but, some Agents know after they accept your $1000.00(to esatblish a financial relationship) and submit your offer, the distressed owner is not going to comply.

Distressed owners ride it out and some have to be evicted from properties.
One full year of utilities paid, but they do not make one mortgage payment.
Hmm. Like i said, "Unfair to the economy and unfair to Buyers".
Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hi Gigig
As a buyer in a short sale working with your buyers agent the best method from this approach is mostly in the pre-view interview. Since a buyers agent has no contact with the bank that will be approving the short sale it is very important for your representative to talk to all listing agents prior to showing you a home. This is very time consuming but imperative to what you need to know.
When I call on showing short sales I ask:
1. Has the seller provided a complete package to the listing agent? (this shows they are organized and seller is motivated in this process)
2. Has the listing agent reviewed the financials and verified a hardship?
3. Which bank(s) are being worked with? If only one lien better than two and every bank process is different so I need to know that up front to prepare your wait period and expectations.
4. How is the listing agent handling multiple offers? A seller should not be accepting more than one! They can only sell the house to one person ethically and remainder should be back ups. If you are at risk of someone doing this differently you may not want to waste your time.
I prepare the contract to address multiple offers and many other things but this should get you started in finding your buyers agent....they should be willing to research the home before you ever look at it and tell you if it is worth your time.
Good luck. If you would like help with providing you an Orange County contact I don't mind helping if you need.

All my best
Laura Myers
KW-Arizona
480-600-6213
Linda Ginex, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hi Gigig,

All these answers are great and provide insight to your issue. I live in Huntington Beach and work in the surrounding cities. I specialize in short sales being that I hold the 'Short Sale Foreclosure Resource' designation- the only certification recognized by the National Association of Realtors. I have real life experience with these types of transactions and I make it a point to stay up on all the various changes going on in this segment of the industry...and there are a many. I'm here to answer questions and help you find your home back here in the OC. Welcome back!
Web Reference:  http://www.lindaginex.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hi Gigig,
Sorry you have had such experiences. Perhaps it would be best to get an unbiased perspective from on of the government agencies such as.HUD at http://www.hud.gov. The National Association of Realtors (N.A.R.) also has information on the subject at http://www.realtor.org
Best of Luck to you
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
Mission Viejo…, , Mission Viejo, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
You are asking the agent to give you an answer that they may not be able to answer. The bank that has the mortgage is in control. Some banks do a great job with short sales and some don't. Make sure your agent knows which bank the loan is with and that they keep in good contact with the listing agent. Find an agent that will answer your questions and if they don't know the answer, that they will find out for you. Hang in there you will learn a lot during the process.
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Hi Gigig,

What a question! I am hoping that the agents are giving you honest information....but that the market is so odd that it probably doesn't make sense. Short sales are unique to our industry because there is no "set" way to handle them. Some agents use short sale specialists, some open escrow with a buyer, some send all offers to the bank....each one is handled differently, so buyers' agents are forced to react to what the listing agent is doing with the property.

What exactly are you asking and what are the answers? How can we help you understand this better?

Karen
Terri Thomas, Agent, EVANS, GA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Short sales can be extremely difficult for the buyer. You need to be absolutely sure that you are working
with an agent that understands the process. A short sale is just what it says: short, the seller owes more than the house will ultimately sell for. The process to buy a short sale takes patience, patience, patience.
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Joan, I didn't bully Tonya in the initial email I sent her

( again: Tonya, rather than perpetuate this in the thread, I'll respond to you, privately. You're incorrect, and you're out of line. Frankly, it's none of your business. Bruce doesn't need you to defend him, and I certainly don't need you to scold me. You might consider deleting your post, because you're just adding fuel to the fire. For your information, Bruce attacked me, and I just stood up to him. Some people like to treat Realtors like crap because this IS a public forum. He tried to ridicule me, and I didn't take it. You might try staying in your own back yard. Thank you.)

She made an incorrect statement that I had been "lashing out" at someone ALL DAY LONG, when in fact that person had not just disagreed with me, he had personally insulted me, with NO provocation. I stood up to him in a civil manner, and it was over. Tonya then jumped in - publicly - making the above "lashing out" statement, and rather than argue with her in public - in a thread that had already run its course, I sent her the rather innocuous email above.

Since then she has gotten lower and lower as she has orchestrated a personal tirade, and eventually crossed the line by taking things public. Like you, she is allegedly a Realtor, and is SUPPOSED to subscribe to a code of ethical behavior, which includes not disparaging a fellow Realtor in public.

How would you feel if such a bombastic poster came into your Trulia neighborhood, goading you into a catfight - or train wreck - such as this?

Yes, this has definitely gotten out of hand - for that I blame Tonya, for taking this to unprecedented new lows, and I also blame Trulia, for their incredibly oblivious lack of attention to this thread - and the other one that Tonya started.
Mon Mar 1, 2010
I find it hard to believe the Trulia moderators are allowing this ridiculous matter to continue unabated.

Tonya crossed - no LEAPED across the line of acceptable behavior by taking her case public. Since then she started a new thread, elsewhere - http://www.trulia.com/voices/Agent2Agent/Are_any_realtors_ag… which is also getting out of hand.

None of this should have degenerated to this mud wrestling level. I keep expecting Jerry Springer to show up.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Dunes, your identity has finally been revealed, you little school girl you! RFLOL!!!!! Quick get a fire extinguisher, hurry!

Gigi- no need to apologize you didn't detour the thread or fan the flames. As a public forum we all the RIGHT to state our experiences, opinions, or even talk plain non sense & have a bit of fun if we wish (Not saying that was the case with you, although I am guilty of such @ times). In the end it is our own image & reputation on the line.

Joan - as this is a public forum again, I do not understand why you are feeling the need to chime in.....have you received a private email yet? LOL....sorry I just couldn't resist
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Thanks for the compliment Karen & I think your terrific too, and I do agree with you that this thread has gotten out of control. In fact I answered Gigi at the very beginning of this thread. So I've gotten the pleasure or nuisance of following it all the way through. My point in posting the narly emails is to bring out a behavior that is not only upsetting, i.e. name calling, bullying, etc. but unethical. I shouldn't have to deal with intimidation, or threatening emails to back off a thread & get thrashed in my own back yard because I don't agree & state my opinion!!! Seriously? I joined into this thread when it was at it's beginning stages & continued learning & watching as others have. This is a national forum, a place where buyers, sellers, the general public come to get professional opinions and suggestions from other folks in their same shoes. When we inflate #'s, talk out of the left side of our mouth, make up an pretend world of what's really going on in the real estate world we deceive the public & worst ourselves which puts us in a position that we become part of the problem and not part of the solution. Yes, real estate is local, & as I've said before on here, I am not familiar with OC but what I do know is the public wants the truth. Then based on the truth they make informed decisions for their own situation. And we wonder why agents are compared to car salesman. We should be educating, consulting, & teaching our clients as we go what the now looks like. We can't (no one) can make a 100% prediction on the future. We may come close, the best we can do is take the current market for what it's worth, do our best to undo the damage, work our rears off cleaning up the foreclosure mess & homes in trouble so we can come to better place in the economy. It's real simple. No need to fluff it up or go back & forth with agents that during this time and over 2010 things we continue to be hard work. I think that's where some agents lost their head, during the BOOM!

Now as I see it, Bob has 2 potential clients on here, Gigi & Bruce who have both come back to the forum to update us and neither one was inclined to use Bob for their services. Although we even now that Gigi used an agent from here (Trulia), which I think is amazing.

All huff & puff aside Gigi, I apologize for contributing to taking your thread off course.
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Mar 1, 2010
Hi Dunes,

Fair enough....and actually, I agree with that. I didn't check this thread over the weekend, it was crazy around here. But I do think that behavior is pretty tacky. But I also think it speaks for itself. You will notice the "dead horse" comment and my reaction to it came before Tonya revealed the emails....

But I do stand by my original response....I was very busy this weekend (working and a family birthday) so I read all this Monday morning, and I don't think fueling the fire is all that productive. This can go on forever....so do we just continue?

The other thread....my question...at least is still discussing the original topic, this one has just gotten into personal attacks against Tonya.

Tonya....I do apologize if you think I did not support you.....I absolutely do and have been on the other end of Bob's temper tantrums. Frankly, I do tend to ignore and go back to work, but I support you 100% and appreciate that you call this out publicly for all to see. Maybe daylight will make him change his ways. :)

K
Sun Feb 28, 2010
From TODAY'S O.C. Register - the primary newspaper of our County:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bob_phillips/2010/02/no_wonder_i_…

It clearly shows increases in both sales and prices, across the board. It also clearly explains why I happen to be optimistic about MY area - Inland South County - up 41% in the number of sales, vs. one year ago, and up 16.7% in the median price, from a year ago. ( Even better than I had thought.)

As I've stated more than once in this lengthy thread - ALL real estate is LOCAL.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
I have just received my 3rd harassing email from Bob. So, the answer is no, I do not like or respect Bob in the least. Fact is Bruce could have been client for him & he trashed him over & over again on a public forum. Get over yourself Bob. No one appreciates or looks forward to arrogance
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Hi Tonya Brobeck

Bob Phillips found you on Trulia Voices and wanted to drop you a line:
Message from: Bob Phillips
So, you're just going to be a XXXX, because you can? Thanks for the Realtor support, and for honoring my request to leave this thread well enough alone. All you're doing is adding XXXX to the XXX. What a horse's xxx you're being Tonya. I'm sure I could return the favor in YOUR area, if I was similarly inclined. Have a nice career, Rookie.
Thank you.
Contact sender:
Name: Bob Phillips
Email: BobPhillipsRE@gmail.com

Hey Bob people disagree, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
So I participated in Trulia discussions again today & bingo another rude email from Bob with name calling too! Wow

I continued to participate in questions today and comments amongst my peers and again here comes another message.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Hi Tonya Brobeck

Message from: Bob Phillips
Tonya, rather than perpetuate this in the thread, I'll respond to you, privately. You're incorrect, and you're out of line. Frankly, it's none of your business. Bruce doesn't need you to defend him, and I certainly don't need you to scold me. You might consider deleting your post, because you're just adding fuel to the fire.For your information, Bruce attacked me, and I just stood up to him. Some people like to treat Realtors like XXXX because this IS a public forum. He tried to ridicule me, and I didn't take it. You might try staying in your own back yard.
Thank you.
Contact sender:
Name: Bob Phillips
Email: BobPhillipsRE@gmail.com
Eric Israel, Agent, Orange, CA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Bob, your link does not open/
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Sat Feb 27, 2010
very cute Linda :) We need fun as well as serious discussion, don't we?
Eric Israel, Agent, Orange, CA
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Maybe Bob has a big back??
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Fri Feb 26, 2010
I'm sure a lot of us are on here and I do understand that....I just think we can do a better job of letting things roll of our backs...
1 2