Why are there so few 1 BR condos i the 200-300k range in downtown White Plains withn walking distance to Mamaroneck ave? Everything seems to be CO-OP.

Asked by Steve C, New York, NY Sat Oct 1, 2011

Answers

17
Gene Casey, Agent, White Plains, NY
Sat Oct 1, 2011
There are several factors! 1st, Supply and demand: There is generally a public opinion that a condo is a better purchase. This is not necessarily so, it depends on the financial stability each complex. A sound co-op is a much better purchase than a financially troubled condo complex, ... buyers often forget that a co-op's maintenance includes real estate taxes, .. next condos to date usually dont have board interviews to consider, and finally condos are usually more open to investors and renting. I understand your preference for a condo, but you should investigate co-ops as well and sse what works best for you. Workwith a realtor that understands both kinds of ownership and knows all the complexes plus listens to your needs and desires and then prepares a portfolio of what will work for you. There are some ckndos in that range bjt without parking and either on Lake or past N. Broaadway. If you want to talk,just call me at 914-588-9090.. Good luck in your search and choose the best realtor and attorney for your needs. Sincerely, Gene Casey

erships, knows al theclmplexes
Gene Casey, Agent, White Plains, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
Steve My answer long thought it was got cut off. Unless you can only consider condos for certain reasons, your focus should be what are my primary needs and wishes, not what is the list anc sale prices but rather what will it cost me per month ( loan amount plus maintenance or ommon charges plus taxes ) parking plus other expenses! Educate yourself to all the complexes.The Chateau for example has yearly of around $ 2000 which allows you more purchase power. The Broadlawn has higher maintenance but it often has fireplaces, terraces , on sote. parking plus allows dogs with board approval. Work with an agent who knows White Plains and the complexes and can guide Iy you, again good luck, call md if you want, 914-588-9090,
sincerely, Gene Casey, Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty, 1 N.
Broadway, W. P., N.Y. 10601
., , Outer Sunset, San Francisco, CA
Sun Dec 18, 2011
Steve,
Did you ever find one? I have just what you are looking for! Its in the MLS listed for 205k. Please let me know if you would like to arrange a private viewing!
Andy
Roseathome, Home Buyer, White Plains, NY
Fri Dec 9, 2011
The condo at 2 Greenridge Ave. is newly renovated and on the first floor (building has no elevator). No, there is no parking, but the municipal garage is across the street and the taxes are so low that they offset the cost of parking in the garage. I don't know what it means that it's all right on paper, but when you go to look? Both of these condos fit the description the buyer wants and they are both one block from Mamaroneck Avenue. I am surprised that no broker has shown them to the buyer.
Suzanne Lagle, Agent, White Plains, NY
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Its one thing on paper - its another thing to go out and look! The buildings are not that different on Greenridge - both do not have parking ,although the Chester maple garage is close by. To understand the differences you need to experience them! Its a limited market in the price point for condos, but there are great values out there.
Thu Dec 8, 2011
There is currently a two bedroom condo at 2 Greenridge Ave. asking $280,000.00. There is a one bedroom condo across the street from 2 Greenridge asking $254,000.00. Both are in walking distance to Mamaroneck Ave., one block up from it. Both are advertised on every real estate website out there.
AnneMarie En…, Agent, Thornwood, NY
Thu Oct 27, 2011
So sorry Steve but I never received /saw your response to mine! I just did another search and there are still at least 2 dozen condos walking distance to Mamaroneck Ave up to $300K. Some are a short walk and others a bit longer...say 20 minutes? Is that too far/long?

If you would like to discuss, please give me a call.

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.

AnneMarie
914-774-2764
Steven S. Ge…, Agent, White Plains, NY
Thu Oct 27, 2011
Steve,

Coops are a New York phenomenon. Most towns and villages grew from around the downtown and most of the buildings were originally coops. Condominiums really started becoming a factor about 30 years ago. There a a few condos in White Plains in the price range you are contemplating but they are closer to the train station rather than off of Mamaroneck Ave. For more information, I am available to answer other questions you may have and asist you as needed.

Steve Geiger
Licensed Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence, Inc. -White Plains
914263-5275
sgeiger@houlihanlawrence.com
Suzanne Lagle, Agent, White Plains, NY
Mon Oct 3, 2011
All of the realtors here have given you good advice.

I have lived in a coop and a condo in White Plains and I am familiar with all the complexes .
I suggest that you sit down with agent familiar with the area and go over your wants, needs and wishes to see if there is a property right for you in your price range.

Please feel free to contact me:

Suzanne Lalgle
Houlihan Lawrence
237 Mamaroneck Ave
White Plains NY
914-450-5828 cell
914-328-8400 ext 336 office

In addition, you can view my video client testimonial:

http://www.wellcomemat.com/suzannelagle

I look forward to helping you !
Steve C, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
AnneMarie,
It sounds like you just searched for condos in white plains without regard to downtown location within walking distance to Mamaroneck ave. Let me know how many out of the 27 you found fit this criteria.

Steve
AnneMarie En…, Agent, Thornwood, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
HI Steve:

Just did a search for a one bedroom in White Plains and there are currently 27 available. If you would like the list, please email and I will send it to you if you like. My email is encarnacao@verizon.net.

AnneMarie Encarncao, SFR
Century 21 Schneider Realty
914-774-2764
Steve C, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
Yes, I fully understand that if I change my search criteria I will get different results.

Fred, there are no condos of this type on your web site either.
Fred Nussen, Agent, West Chester, PA
Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hi Steve: Please check my web site for all Westchester County listings https://frednussen.com I am sure you be able to find a one bedroom condo for $200.000 to 300,000 range.

If you have any questions please contact me!

Fred Nussen
Licensed Associate Broker
Delphi Real Estate
914 320-2639
Web Reference:  http://frednussen.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
If you cannot locate what you're searching for, consider expanding your search area, your options, and do work with an agent of your own...
St. Lawrence…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Sun Oct 2, 2011
I can get into a lot of details, history of the area, how and why co-ops and condos came to be, but what will it matter? The only thing you are really interested in is; Why can't I find what I am looking for?

So here is the answer. Location, Price and Features.

With your criteria there is only one condo.

With my criteria there are 14 condos and 5 co-ops. True, only one is in your price range and two are close.

With co-ops there are four within your price range, but over your bedroom count (does that even matter - more is better here)

So what this means is that you need to readjust your priorities, come up with more money or look in a different area if the three possibilities here do not work for you:

See listings: http://tinyurl.com/66msa8n

Lawrence "Larry" Jensen, Principal Broker ~ NY & CT
A Silver Award Recipient for Excellence in Sales: 2008, 2009, 2010
St. Lawrence Properties, LLC
888-757-6928 Ext 501
http://www.SLPNYCT.com
Web Reference:  http://www.slpnyct.com
Michael Levy, Agent, Armonk, NY
Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hi Steve: I can definitely help you analyze the reasons for this & answer your questions for you. Please call me anytime at my office: 914-273-9688 so we can talk more. I look forward to speaking with you about it. There are many reasons. Good luck. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits.
AnneMarie En…, Agent, Thornwood, NY
Sat Oct 1, 2011
Steve:

There definitely are some but not many. If you would like to see some units.. I live here and know the market well and could show you them!

You can also search here like an agent for more detailed information than on the internet:
http://www.annemariecentury21.listingbook.com.

AnneMarie Encarnacao, SFR
Century 21 Schneider
914-774-2764