Why are the houses so inexpensive in North Port? I've heard of the good things, now tell me about the not so good things! Thanks.

Asked by Cisanchez, Cape San Blas, FL Sun Jan 26, 2014

Answers

2
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jan 26, 2014
This is a great question! North Port, during the early 2000's was one of the fastest growing areas in the entire country. There was a big demand for residential opportunities at reasonable prices. North Port at the time offered relatively inexpensive land options for builder so developers came in droves and constructed homes at a record pace.

When the RE market fell apart in the mid 2000's hundreds of homes were left in various stages of completion, and home owners by the thousands were faced with owing property that was purchased at the top of the market. Which resulted in a relatively short period of time for thousands of owners to be under water with their recently purchased property. Early on banks offered little to no support to these individuals. The result of which was a massive number of people allowing these homes to go into foreclosure.

The good things are that the market is back and so too is North Port. These recently early 2000's constructed homes that during the down turn were selling in the $60,000 to $70,000 range are not priced well above the $100,000 range leaving still room for buyers to find value in a recently constructed home.

Right now, the least desirable feature about North Port that I can think of is that the drive to the areas beautiful beaches is about 15 minutes and the average winter temps hover in the 70's.

Just telling it like it is!

Thank you for "telling it like it is". Especially the last remark to someone who's living in the frozen tundra in the suburb of Illinois. I am right on track with my 5 year plan or my retirement which includes buying my retirement home in FL this year. I've been looking in the Cape Coral, Naples area. But North Port has really peaked my interest. Thanks again!
Flag Sun Jan 26, 2014
buzzsutton, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Thu Feb 20, 2014
I moved to North Port after living in Englewood for 20 yrs. I bought here to be on the water at a very affordable price. North Port is fine. Everything you could want is close by. I love the shopping here.
Also good food, fresh produce, ethnic foods. I only wish the Warm Mineral Springs would re-open soon then I would be very happy.
Now for the downside. In my experience the so called "professionals" are not very professional. If I need any thing done from now on I will take my business back to Englewood or Venice. That includes chiropractors along w/ construction types. They very much have been rip offs. So much for keeping your money local. Also not everyone cares about the appearance of their properties, rentals, slum lord types etc. It's not too bad where I bought but could be better. I do feel safe here as the North Port Police have a strong presence and seem to be doing a good job.
Overall i'm happy w/ my choice to move here, most people are nice and good neighbors.