Why are the houses in scotch plains that are close to Watchung reservation much Cheaper?

Asked by dev_coach, Colonia, NJ Fri Feb 22, 2013

I'm searching for better place to buy a house in NJ (with great rating schools) and my friend suggested Scotchplains. I started searching for info and realized houses that are close to Watchung reservation are much cheaper than other side of scotch plains. Any reasons, can someone advise? Me and my husband both are working in NYC, how is commute?

Answers

9
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Wed Dec 11, 2013
I would agree with Nadia - their location is likely the primary cause. You'll want to gauge proximity to what you care most about and also watch how close you are to the highway itself if traffic and noise bother you. Of course you have that to contend for properties hugging both sides of the highway.

Union County towns - including Scotch Plains, are popular among commuters. I just closed on a home with a buyer that was moving from upper Manhattan to Scotch Plains and commute and schools were the drivers - they are happy with their decision.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference:  http://feenickhomes.com
Nadia Brunet…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Wed Dec 4, 2013
One of the "issues" with the north side of Route 22 is that you need to go onto Route 22 to go almost anywhere. On the other hand - it is a really nice country setting up there. Lots of deer, wild turkeys.....(you get the idea.)
You are also away from the activity of the downtown - that's a plus or a minus, depending upon what you are looking for.
Nadia Brunet…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Sat Oct 12, 2013
Some of those homes are close to Route 22 - which can be noisy.
Robin Azcarr…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Sat Aug 3, 2013
hi, we live near the watching reservation (right near the mountains) and you will be happy to know that we bought our house in dec 2011 for 474,000 and now they are selling for 535.000.........I also am an agent in Westfield.
Anand Warude, Home Buyer, 07310
Mon Feb 25, 2013
what are the commuting options to NYC?
i see that the train frequency is not that great. what is the bus situation like?
and what about parking at train station?
whats the deal with bus parking? is there any park n ride lot ? or u just have to walk to the bus top or be dropped off?
Also, In addition, there is a $5 daily fee that you don't need a permit for.....(to either take the train or the bus in to Newark) then in Newark you either take the path to get downtown or the train to get to midtown.
Flag Sat Aug 3, 2013
There aren't any park n ride lots in Scotch Plains. There are a few bus options - #112, 113 & 117 all offer direct service to NYC. Parking at the train station is by permit. You can get more info at http://www.njtransit.com
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Rachel's explanation is a good one. Scotch Plains overall provides varied housing alternatives at reasonable prices with a good commute to NYC.

Jeanne Feenick
Rachel Dagos…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Scotch Plains North of Route 22, although beautiful, is somewhat removed from town center. The need to cross Route 22 to get to shops, restaurants and schools can be a bit of a hassle. Particularly if you have children, riding their bikes to friends' homes is out of the question. There's much more of a community feel to the sections of Scotch Plains south of Route 22. Also, many of the less expensive homes north of Route 22 are located on 1 block streets that go straight up the mountain - access is ONLY from Route 22, and these streets can be treacherous when it snows. I usually recommend that you drive by properties that interest you, if at all possible, before making an appointment to view the interior.
Paul Lamastra, Agent, Scotch Plains, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Hello, I feel the main reason for houses a little cheaper on the other side of rt 22 is you always have to deal with rt 22. For some, this is not a problem. I have friends that have lived over 20 years on that side with no issues. It is a matter of preference. If you have any other questions my cell is 908-337-4540

Thanks, Paul
Tressa "TERI"…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Scotch Plains is a great community with good schools and many community-based activities. My previous buyers rave about the Y's activities as well as those sponsored by the JCC.

Properties on the "north" side of Scotch Plains -- closer to Watchung Reservation--, tend to be less expensive primarily because (a) property lot sizes are often smaller and (b) if they are north of Rt 22, they are further from the train station and the "downtown business" area.

As for Elementary Schools in SP, the two that are ranked the best are Coles and McGinn, both of which are on the south side. That said, however, those on the north side are also considered good schools.

If you are not already working with a Realtor, I am happy to offer my services. There is no charge to buyers, and I will be able to help you find the best home for you at the most reasonable price. I can also offer you alternatives in terms of towns, depending on your price range.

You may contact me directly on 732-423-2792 (text or phone), or via my email: terimalone@optimum.net.

Teri Malone, Weichert Realtors
732-423-2792
terimalone@optimum.net