Why are the homes priced so low in Stewartsville NJ compared to say Piscataway, Middlesex towns, etc.?

Asked by Njessenk, Belle Mead, NJ Sun Nov 24, 2013

Answers

7
Christopher…, Agent, Clinton, NJ
Wed Jan 28, 2015
Generally speaking, the further away you get from NYC, the more affordable the housing becomes. Stewartsville is a very desirable community, with very easy access (5 minutes or less) to Route 78 and there is also access to public transportation to NYC in nearby Phillipsburg. Most of the homes here have been built since the 90's, so it is a fairly "new" community, but also has plenty of preserved farm land and open space. There is plenty of shopping also, with some neighborhoods such as Greenwich Chase and Wyndham Farm, within walking distance to stores such as Target, ShopRite, Home Depot and much more making everyday living very convenient. Sidewalks and bike paths make this a very "Walk Friendly" community, and many of the residents here take advantage of that as well.
Charline M-G…, Renter, Newark, NJ
Mon Jul 7, 2014
Taxes are much higher, Especially in Edison.
The commute is hellish, as well. 78 is usually a nightmare.
Flag Sun Aug 3, 2014
Jessica Worm…, Agent, Oldwick, NJ
Mon Apr 7, 2014
Typically speaking, homes in Stewartsville are valued for less than homes in Middlesex because of the distance from metro NJ/NY. There IS public transportation right in Phillipsburg that runs direct to NYC. The bus line is Trans-Bridge, and the commute to NYC is a little over an hour.

However many buyers do not know about this access to public transportation, and therefore see Stewartsville as "too far" to commute.

You can get a beautiful home for a great price in Stewartsville, and have easy access to shopping, Route 78, and a bus line to NYC.
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Mon Nov 25, 2013
It's not actual distance so much as accessibility to public transportation. Study after study of sales prices show that homes in "transit towns", (close to trains especially) sell at higher prices than those towns where people have to commute to work by car. Even in towns with accessibility to major highways, the need to drive to work rather than use public transport even if the commute time is the same tends to make those towns less desirable for the majority.
Yes I agree, priorities such as lifestyle and less congestion vary from person to person, and while those may be what you prefer, I answered the question you asked, namely why house prices in Middlesex county are higher compared to Stewartsville etc.
I never replied back. I'm not Algalli from Stewartsville. I understand what you mean, and agree with your reply. Mary, Thank you for your response!
Flag Tue Nov 26, 2013
Algalli, Home Buyer, Stewartsville, NJ
Mon Nov 25, 2013
It is not clear. Distance perception is part of the problem. However, much of Stewartsville is easily accessible to I-78 while many areas in Hunterdon County require a long drive just to get to I-78. The drive time and gasoline costs will be no worse than much of Hunterdon County. The life style in Stewartsville and the lack of crowding more than compensate for the convenience of Middlesex County.
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Sun Nov 24, 2013
The closer you are to major public transportation (trains in particular) the higher the property prices usually are. If the school systems are good, this will also add to the value of the homes in that area.

I hear this a lot. While paying less for a home may seem attractive at first glance, living further away from your place of employment can significantly add to the commute costs (in gas, wear and tear on a vehicle and commute time), and often times the outlay of monthly costs and time spent traveling becomes a wash at the end of the day.

Please feel free to give me a call at 908-675-0167. There are still be some alternatives to living a bit further away from the more pricey towns without having to sacrifice time and money on a commute.
Melissa Silva, Agent, Watchung, NJ
Sun Nov 24, 2013

Stewartsville is further away ( up route 78) and prices tend to be cheaper in that area. Piscataway and Middlesex are closer to highways and convenience of living so raises up the prices.

If you need help looking for any home I am here to help so please don't hesitate to contact me.

Melissa Silva
Realestate.mel.s@gmail.com
201-527-7313