Why are amazing homes so inexpensive in Santa Rosa Beach, FL?

Asked by Amanda Semanko, Fargo, ND Thu May 7, 2009

My husband and I are moving to the area around Eglin AFB in a few months and were curious as to why many of the very luxurious homes in Santa Rosa Beach were so inexpensive? We are from the upper Midwest and I have never even been to Florida. We would like a nice home for our two children and two dogs in a safe area. Is Santa Rosa Beach a bad place to raise a family? Any suggestions where to look? We would like to live within a thirty-minute commute for him, and south of the base most likely.

Answers

3
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Fri May 8, 2009
Hello Amanda,

Santa Rosa Beach is a beautiful area on the Emerald Coast--most of the homes are designed to be more of vacation type homes than other locations. The homes in Santa Rosa Beach area tend to be either new construction that has not sold, due to an overabundance of supply by builders during the boom, or older florida dwellings built prior to 1970. Many of the newer homes lack garages--but to answer your question, it is a safe and beautiful area. With two children, you might want to look closely at areas of Okaloosa County, which has an excellent school system. Santa Rosa County and Walton county which flank Okaloosa both are good, but Okaloosa is considered to be superior to the others. It is one of the top school systems in the state. If you want to be within 30 minutes of Eglin, Santa Rosa is not the place--You probably want to look more in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach/Niceville area. Crestview works within your required time frame, but is north of the base, further from the coast. And, there are some great buys in the Crestview area. I hope this helps--If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call on me. I am a USAA certified agent, so if you are considering USAA or VA financing, I can be of assistance to you. Drop me a line at MykeSaysSold@aol.com, or give me a call at 850-305-6256.

Myke Triebold
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Murray Balkc…, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Fri Jan 15, 2010
The drive time depends on where on Eglin AFB that you would be working. Most of the Eglin jobs are going to be on the western side of the AFB, but Eglin being so large, it extends all the way to Freeport, located just north of the bay and Santa Rosa Beach. I know of several Eglin pilots who live in Hammock Bay (Freeport), and they can get to the west side of Eglin in 30 minutes of mostly relaxed driving, and for some of them who were stationed in cities like San Diego where it takes 2 hours to get to work, 30 minute commutes seem easy.

However, if you will be working on the western side of the Base, take Myke's advice, and look in the Niceville area, or maybe even Crestview for homes.
Susan Rood, Agent, Niceville, FL
Thu May 7, 2009
I am not sure what homes you are viewing but I am sure the sellers will be happy to hear that you feel they are inexpensive, I hope they are my listings! There are currently 275 homes for sale just in the South Santa Rosa Beach area, with many motivated sellers.
The commute from Santa Rosa will most likely be more than 30 minutes. If you would like me to send you maps and relocation information for both Walton and Okaloosa Counties, please feel free to contact me by email at: SellwithSusan@cox.net.

We live in paradise and I am sure your family will enjoy the time you get to spend here.
Web Reference:  http://www.SusanRood.com