Why are agents choosing to be called to set up showing appointments and then are not readily available to answer calls. It is very frustrating.

Asked by Marcia Mcdade, Merrick, NY Fri Aug 24, 2012

Answers

18
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Thu Oct 4, 2012
That's because Marcia they have no business being in this business, there's NO excuse, NONE.
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Sun Nov 24, 2013
That is a good question. My guess is that the seller has no idea how difficult it is to set up an appointment to see the property they have entrusted him/her to sell. That being said, you would think that they would want a sale and the only way to do that is to allo it to be shown! it is a frustrating situation for everyone involved.
Charles Bian…, Agent, Rockville Centre, NY
Sat Nov 23, 2013
Unfortunately there can be a variety of reasons. Whatever the reason is, make sure that the agent you're using is aware of this if you're searching on your own or in conjunction with your agent.

Good agents have ways to reach out to other agents and/or their brokers when they don't respond within a certain amount of time.
Thomas Moser, Agent, East Northport, NY
Mon Aug 5, 2013
We use a third-party appointment setting service that is open 12 hours a day/7 days a week. In this market you cannot afford to miss a showing appointment.
John Roberts, Other Pro, Island Park, NY
Mon Aug 5, 2013
Are you calling or are you buying?

kathy giiordana is the best agent f She is in the business of selling homes while most agents are in the business of showing homes.
Fajardo Dela…, Agent, Flushing, NY
Fri Jan 4, 2013
I have sold my share of listing. But the calls are coming in and the
requests are so many that I need to show more of them. I would love
to have your home, in my inventory for sale. I just need a few seconds
to sit with you and discuses a plan that will work for both of us. Please
just give me a call as soon as you can.

Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
Jerry Cibuls…, Agent, Southold, NY
Fri Oct 26, 2012
All calls are a priority. It does not matter if it for showings or real estate related questions. Leave a message and the agent should be returning calls in a timely fashion!
Trevor Curran, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Great Neck, NY
Thu Oct 4, 2012
Hi Marcia,

I'm with Janet Nation on this one. For a real estate agent not to respond in a timely manner (by timely I mean within 3 hours of initial inquiry) is ridiculous.

And to hear the excuses adds insult to injury:

-"I was in a closing." WHAT, your CELLPHONE doesn't work?

-"My son had his school play." WHAT, your CELLPHONE doesn't work? And you can't leave a voicemail for the day? "Unavailable until 4pm; all calls will be returned after that time." Wow, that's difficult to do.

-"I was out of state." WHAT, your CELLPHONE doesn't work?

-"I lost my cellphone." ???? How are you calling yourself a professional?

-"My cellphone battery died." Oh, no, you didn't just say that.

Janet says it best, "...they have no business being in this business, there's NO excuse, NONE."
Play the survival of the fittest game, Marcia. If you can't get a timely, professional response from a real estate (and/or mortgage) professional, MOVE ON. Plenty of other professionals who will provide you with high quality service and take care to honor your commitment to buying a home.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528
Rita M, Home Buyer, Oceanside, NY
Thu Sep 27, 2012
It depends when you call. Agents are people too. Sometimes agents are busy taking out customer
or are busy with personal things. A reasonable time to call back should be within 24 hours. What about when a customer is asked to show up at the first house at 4:30 p.m. and they show up at 5:00 p.m. It messes up all the appointments thereafter. That is frustrating to the agent.
Victoria Pop…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon Aug 27, 2012
It could get frustrating not getting a call back within reasonable time!
But remember that agents are people and there are all kinds out there. Each agent may have a different style in handling calls. What you do and consider right is not applicable to the rest. I think that when you do not expect others to do as you do, you get less disappointed and frustrated.
Call that agent mutiple times and always leave a message. In the extreme cases that doesn't work contact your broker and seek advise or help in contacting the other agent's broker or board.
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Fri Aug 24, 2012
I hear you Marcia. What a disservice to the homeowners. I agree with De Vonte in that I think a lot of them are part time agents. I've also seen first hand many agents who work hard, but have no idea how to prioritize, it's very frusrtating. But it's still a buyer's market and there are plenty of other properties out there. These also prove to be easy pickups to list when they expire.
De Vonte Wil…, Agent, East Point, GA
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Good Morning Marcia. Yes, this is something that I have noticed lately in the Nassau & Queens area. However, in the Suffolk County area; we usually get a call back within 10 minutes. In my personal opinion, I think it boils down to if an Agent is full-time or not.

I hope this answered your question.

De Vonte Williamson, LSA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Proudly Serving Long Island
John Williams, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Good morning Marcia,
That’s an interesting question.
There are many answers to the first part of your question…
The only right answer is that it is due to the owners request for their agent to handle it themselves but it’s more likely, because the listing agent “thinks” that they are providing a better service to their owners that way, but most of the time they’re not for many reasons…
Now, for the second part of your question…
An agent “should” be readily available to respond to a call, but they could be with customers, on the road showing homes, sitting with clients, on a conference call, and so on…but good agents “should respond to your message within 30 minutes or so.
I hope I answered your question adequately.
If you have any other questions, about this topic or if you need some info on any given home you see here or anywhere else, feel free to call me any time!
Good luck to you,
John Williams
Charles Rutenberg RE
Cell# (516) 729-9198
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Fri Aug 24, 2012
When nothing else works, a call to the broker makes it happen. Listings belong to the listing firm, not the agent. When an agent is not responding and your client really wants to see a property, have you broker call their broker. Like magic, they all of a sudden, appear. Of course, before I do this, I make sure that the agent is in town through their answering service.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Aug 24, 2012
In every market you will find mega type agents who cant seem to answer their phone or return messages. But for them there are great agents ready, willing and able to answer their phone, emails and messages. Having a buyer broker can eliminate you having to call many agents to see homes. They can usually set showings up for you through showing services which most listing agents use.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Hello Marcia,
Yes, it can be frustrating attempting to contact agents to show their listings and them not respond in a timely manner. I believe that listing agents should respond the same day as it's a disservice to their clients not doing so in a timely manner. Granted, some agents may be out on the road with buyer clients so may not answer their calls right away but as a courtesy and to maintain professionalism in their work they should return calls asap.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Fajardo Dela…, Agent, Flushing, NY
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Mrs. McDade
I would like to take a moment and a sure you all agents are not
build the same. With most of the agents you should get a call
back with in a few hour.

Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Sounds like a local thing to me. I have no problem finding agents.