Who is Responsible for getting the title for a home. The buyer or Seller attorney? I seem to be getting conflicting information from my Realtor

Asked by Jasper, Poughkeepsie, NY Sat Oct 24, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Curtis Darragh’s answer
Curtis Darra…, Agent, Poughkeepsie, NY
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Jasper that is a good question. The simple answer is typically the buyers attorney but that is not always the case. For instance, many REO properties (bank owned foreclosures), the seller will provide title insurance. Most attorney's (representing the buyer) will decline it because they prefer to have a title company they work with and trust provide the title report and insurance. In which case the buyer must pay for the insurance. I hope this helps.
1 vote
Margo Ramsey, , Poughkeepsie, NY
Fri Nov 6, 2009
The buyer's attorney normally orders title. Please make sure that you have an attorney who specializes in real estate law.
0 votes
Margo Ramsey, , Poughkeepsie, NY
Fri Nov 6, 2009
The buyer's attorney always orders title. Hope this helps.
0 votes
Tammy Benkwi…, Agent, Somers, NY
Sat Oct 24, 2009
In New York, the buyer in his or her continuation of doing "due diligence" will hire a title company to research and determine that the seller can convey clear title. Typically the buyers attorney will hire the title company to make sure this is processed correctly. The title company will also perform a municpal search to advise what certificates of occupancy or compliance are in place.

Please consult your attorney to any questions specific to your transaction.

Best of luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Poughkeepsie Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more