Home Buying in Frederick>Question Details

Leeann, Home Buyer in Frederick, MD

Who are the builders in this area with good reputations for quality work?

Asked by Leeann, Frederick, MD Fri Sep 13, 2013

Answers

13
Try Angie's List they have a list with feedback for you to review
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013
Thanks! I don't have a subscription, but I was thinking of obtaining one if I planned on doing any contract work.
Flag Sat Sep 14, 2013
Hi Leeann,

Thank you for your question. You've taken a very important step in the home purchase process. As an agent working on Terry's team I'd like to answer your question and offer my advice.

While the construction standards have improved dramatically in the last 5 years you'll find that all new home builders are not the same. They may offer the very best in quality materials like insulated windows, energy efficient (Energy Star) heating and cooling systems, etc.....but what really matters in the long run is the final delivered product. Something as simple as the quality of the drywall work or the finishing touches to your trim work can only be as good as the team that constructs and finishes your new home. Also, you'll want to confirm what level of warranty is offered with your new home and what customer service standards are in place.

Working with a 'new home' savvy real estate agent who is familiar with construction practices and will stay on top of the construction process will greatly improve your chances of getting a good finished product. Also, you'll want to ensure that your new home is ready for delivery. This should include a complete home inspection from a professional other than the builder. A good agent will insist on being a part of the entire process and work with you during the entire building process. Gene Buckalew, New Home Agent, The WelcomeHomeTeam.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
Leeann,

May I suggest if your are shopping for a new home rather than pick a specific builder ( which you can do). Select an area which serves your commute, lifestyle and quality schools. In 20 years in selling homes for almost all of the area's builders, the quality of the home that is delivered to you is determined by the project superintendent. If you select a new home , the superintendent will be your new best friend and will take care of you.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 16, 2013
Thank you Greg! There are several communities I am looking at and visiting this fall and different builders are spearheading these communities. Thank you for the tip about the superintendent!
Flag Tue Sep 17, 2013
I find it interesting, Leeann, that you have not responded, even once, concerning these helpful people answering your inquiry.
Are you seriously interested in help? Because if you are it would certainly behoove you to take advantage of the expertise you've garnered here at Trulia.
Let us hear from you on this site so that our investment in your future can be equated to results.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013
Wow! What a dick. Leeann, don't pay him any attention.
Flag Wed Apr 6, 2016
Wow! What a condescending response! If you had been paying attention, you would see that I had responded a few hours ago. I am seriously interested in help and advice for buying in the Frederick area. If your response is indicative of the type of service provided by Mackintosh Inc., Realtors, then I am glad I am not being represented by anyone in your company.
Flag Sat Sep 14, 2013
Thank you all! I've been researching builders by investigating the Better Business Bureau, and through Google searches. Not sure what other resources might be helpful...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013
Leeann click on my picture and you'll see, no mystery, or worry that I am from Texas, etc. In Maryland the Real Estate Commission specifically requires written disclosure that I will represent you with your approval as your Buyer Agent.
Flag Sat Sep 14, 2013
You are in the right direction when looking for quality. But it is not easy to say that one builder is better than another. Location, building style, size of the home, size of the lot, amenities, and what is included in the final sales price can all play a major role when deciding where is the best deal.
Builders always provide the option to UPGRADE, meaning better quality, but no doubt for an additional cost $$.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013
Drees Homes is one of the top builders in Frederick County. I have a good relationship with the head of sales there Barry Weller if you need to connect with him.

Please call me if you have any questions,

Greg Salley
Long and Foster
301-606-3302-Cell
301-644-1089-Office
http://www.homesinfrederickmd.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
Comstock Homes is the Best!
What type of builder are you looking for? There are two different types of New Home Builders: Tract Builders and Custom Home Builders.

Track Builders would be your Regional and National Builders (the top area: Dan Ryan, Drees, Comstock, Wormald). While they do strive to maintain certain levels of quality, with tract builders you are at the mercy of the subcontractor and job foreman for each job. Most of the large builders in this area produce a good product. The few I mentioned above have the best reputation

Custom Home Builders are different. While they might do some Subdivision building, they are traditionally smaller companies and the Owner has a more hands on approach. They have the ability to customize your new home and usually have a higher level of quality control. Normally they build on lots they own (or have under contract) or on a lot you own. The disadvantage to this process is you must secure a Construction Loan, which once the home is completed, modifies into permanent financing. There are at least a dozen Custom Builders I would recommend and would be happy to share with you.
Thanks! I've gone with one of the local track builders.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
Hi Leeann,

I have been specializing in New Homes for 13 years now and would want to meet with you personally to share my experiences with you regarding the various builders in our area. One builder in particular has both my clients and me pulling our hair out due to poor operations and not having good systems in place. I would never publish their name on this forum.

Having grown up in the custom homebuilding business, I have been around construction much of my life. I know the type of products the various builders in our region use in their construction process and can share with you the differences. Some use colonial beaded siding and architectural shingles and some do not. Those are top of the line exterior finishes that most agents could not educate you about. Finishing touches inside the house are as good as the subs that the builder has working for them and are all about the same, quite frankly.

Please take a moment to visit my website and give me a call if you'd like to sit down and chat about your goals and hopes for your new home. I would love to guide you to your best options!

Cathy Chapman, Broker Owner Agent
Signature Home Sales
http://www.SignatureHomeSales.com
301-514-6839 Cell
301-620-9880 Office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
And just to let you know, over 50% of my business is in New Home sales which is an asset to you as a buyer.
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013
Hi Leeann

I wish to be able to answer your question the way you would want to hear...simply by giving you names of the builders.. Unfortunately that will be too easy.
All builders are in the business of Sales and all sales try to please customers. But all builders/sales cannot please all customers as much as they try. So reputations of these builders/Sales depends on the judgement of people's opinions on how they have received services. Their reputation shines or gets tarnished based on these reviews.
My perception of a good reputed builder lies on the quality of work and strictly on quality of work. When I show clients new homes, I point to them the style and workmanship and finishing of the builders. This will tell you their quality and this to me is more important. There are many builders here in Frederick. I have had great experiences with all of them. The key is communication with them and getting everything in writing...even the smallest changes. This will ensure a great experience.

If you are looking for an agent to assist you in your home search and purchase, please feel free to call me. I will assist you and guide you step by step so you will have a great experience.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013
Interesting question and the only true answer is "it depends".
Sorry, but the fact of the matter is that builders sometimes can go from the top of their game to the bottom in a matter of months.
Really a builder is only as good as the supervisor, subs, and craftsman and materials supplier at the time you are building.
Hire a Realtor to help and you'll be way ahead because a buyer 's agent Realtor is on your side not the builders salespersons. Remember that sales person is probably an employee of the builder and is only responsible to them.
National builders are sometimes wonderful, but most likely the best will be from where you live, right in Frederick.
Ryan, NVR, DR Horton and many others. It just depends on what type of style of home you would like.