Who actually does the repairs after the inspection?

Asked by Rachael Zevecke, 66210 Mon Dec 21, 2009

Answers

4
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Dec 22, 2009
Rachael, I don't necessarily think that the price you are paying should reflect what you ask for after an inspection.
I don't recommend asking for minor , frivolous items in any situation, as it will only serve to irritate the seller, and they may reject the more important issues you ask for.

As I often say to my buyers, as with life, you have to pick your battles.

If there are significant items - structural in nature, or systems that aren't working properly, you have every right to ask to have them addressed, regardless of the price you are paying - whether it is high or low.
If your requests are rejected outright by the seller, it will then be your choice to proceed or not.

Loose doorknobs are not significant...and they should not be on your list (imo). You have to expect that there will be some minor items in any resale that you will take care of down the road.

The bottom line is............If you are reasonable in your requests....you will most likely get a better response.

Best wishes
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
'
Dale Saari, Agent, Florence, OR
Tue Dec 22, 2009
Repairs can be negotiated in any fashion. A word of caution though. If you have a good Buyer's Broker and your broker advises that you are getting a really good value based on a recent CMA (competitive market analysis), you may not wish to rock the boat with petty demands. On the other hand if you are paying closer to fair market value, you may want to ask the seller to make the repairs. Repairs can be made by the seller, or his contractor, or the buyer or the buyers contractor depending on what the seller and buyer agree to in writing. I prefer to have a licensed professional take care of larger repairs. If the repair is small like replacing a knob on the range, I do not care as long as it is done to my satisfaction.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Dec 21, 2009
Rachel if you are working with an agent, I suggest you sit down and go through the inspection report item by item. if you don't have an agent then obviously, you need to do this yourself.
Separate out the normal maintenance items from issues or repairs that need to be addressed. Usually, inspection reports summarize the findings., so that list can be very helpful.

Decide what issues you want the seller to address. In NJ we use attorneys, who will then send a letter to the other attorney requesting the various repairs.

The buyer may ask that the seller take care of repairs prior to closing.......or they may ask for a dollar amount as a credit to cover those repairs. If that's the case, then the buyer will oversee the repairs after closing.

If the seller doesn;t agree with what the buyer asks for, then this can be negotiated. Perhaps a partial credit will be offered.

I find that many buyers prefer to take care of the repairs themselves, so that they have control over who is called in.
If the seller takes care of any repairs, make sure they show you paid receipts, and use properly licensed vendors to do the jobs.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Mon Dec 21, 2009
That depends. A lot of that is open to negotiation. Sometimes your inspector will find something that "has to be dealt with" and the seller can fix it themselves, hire someone to do it, or give you money so that you deal with it in any way that you see fit. Some things your inspector will note that you'll ask the seller for money and they'll tell you to take a flying leap on that item. Or ... anything in between these two concepts.

There really are no hard and fast answers to your question.
Repairs can be requested by the buyer to be made by their vendors. Of course, the seller has to agree, however, most of the time repairs are coordinated on behalf of the seller through the listing agent's vendors or even the seller's preferred vendors.
Flag Mon Feb 17, 2014