Home Buying in Sherman Oaks>Question Details

Tanya, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Which web-site has the most up-to-date info on available homes?

Asked by Tanya, Los Angeles, CA Thu May 28, 2009

I tried Realtor, ZipRealty, Zillow, but often houses listed there are already sold.

Answers

9
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 28, 2009
Hi Tanya, I'm a Bay East Assoc of Realtors MLS Council member and I think I can provide some clarity here.

When an Association of Realtors is formed in a defined geographic area a MLS database platform must be decided upon (there are a few handfuls of standard software providers for this). After establishing a MLS system various AORs may decide to share information between them. There are standard data exchange protocols for this. If you are working with a Realtor its very important to know what geographic MLSs they have full access to.

Trulia and other "3rd party listing services" you have mentioned are not AORs; however, these service providers negotiate "data feed" agreements. Some AORs agree to these, others do not, and this is where comprehensiveness suffers. In cases where an AOR does not agree to a data feed agents can still upload listings manually. If not managed diligently old listings can remain on these sites. Trulia has negotiated direct-feed agreements with many AOR MLS systems, but it will be some time before its comprehensive.

One of the other issues with "3rd party listing services" is data integrity. I can’t even count the number of times I have had to inform home seekers about RealtyTrac’s deceptive data feed on Trulia (don’t get me wrong, I like Trulia, but I do not have any love for RealtyTrac). RealtyTrac is not a MLS; they just take public record and tease you with it so you will pay them a monthly fee to get more information. Most foreclosures are listed on the Realtor MLS sites - at market value, not the low price shown by RealtyTrac, which is nothing more than the amount(s) in default. . So, I enthusiastically submit the following to you: To remove all RealtyTrac “foreclosure” listings from your Trulia search results go to your search results page. Check out the Refine Search box on the left and scroll down to 'Listing Type'. Uncheck the 'foreclosure' selection and your search will update automatically and filter out all RealtyTrac listings.

As far as obtaining the most up-to-date comprehensive information the “Master” you should be using is Realtor.com because it pulls its data directly from all AOR databases nationwide. Once a property goes Pending or Sold it does not show on Realtor.com; however, other sites not directly tied into the AOR databases will show properties as Active when they are sold. While Realtor.com may be comprehensive, it can still be a little “clunky” from a User perspective.

Currently, there is an ongoing effort to establish a CA Statewide MLS, but it looks to be 12-18 mos. away; however, I'm looking forward to this being established.

In a nutshell, your BEST SOURCE for up-to-the-minute information is a local Realtor. I would suggest that you team with a Realtor and have them set up an automated "search agent" for you so you get notifications (that match your search criteria) automatically via email as soon as they are made on the MLS.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 28, 2009
Limiting yourself to one source of information is always a mistake IMHO. Using several or many sources is what allows you to compare and reach the closest point of accuracy possible. It the foundation of the process of doing property comparables, you may not reach the absolute truth about the value of your property but you'll reach the closest point of accuracy possible for the market at that time.

Look everywhere possible including local sources of listings. If you don't have the time to do this while making a large financial decision then maybe it's not the right time to look.

Dunes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 28, 2009
Tanya,
For the local Los Angeles County market, try our Dilbeck website at http://www.dilbeck.com to search for homes. While it is true that the MLS has the most up to date listings and a good real estate professional is the most effective, some of the other sites can be helpful in a preliminary search.

Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin and others take their information from the MLS database. So does our Dilbeck site. So does almost all other brokerage websites. Other websites, such as Coldwell bankers, simply repackage the MLS database with their logo. So, like one agent below said, it is kind of a joke that agents push their websites. The difference in our website is that our site has an algorithm that allows it to search keywords. Other website, even the MLS, do not. For example, if you want granite counters. You can go to dilbeck.com, click on home search, click on residential and then click on the Advanced tab. There you can put in keywords. That is why agents from other brokerages are constantly using our website. We have other tools, too, that most brokerages do not have available. That is why we are market leader in most areas where our 15 offices are located.

We also have the ability to separate foreclosures and short sales if that is what you are looking for in a home purchase. Our website is updated each night. So, if a property comes on the market today, it is updated on the MLS information tomorrow for all agents. Then the next day it is on Dilbeck.com.

Most, but not all agents have the ability to put a filter on the MLS. For example, if you want a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Hacienda Heights for under 550k, I could easily put that filter on the MLS. The first time I put the filter on the MLS, such as today, it would send to your email address 56 properties. In the succeeding days, only new listings would come to your inbox. You might get one or two a day.

Hope that helps. If you need assistance, please give me a call or send me an email.

Tommy Lee
323-821-2292
tommy.lee@dilbeck.com
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
Tanya,
I like how agents just push their own sites or company sites. As is stated below, all sites get their information from the MLS which feeds them information on a daily basis via a data drop. The only real place to receive the most accurate MLS information is through the corresponding MLS for your area. It can be done through agent sites if they have a direct data feed or IDX. As for a public site I have found that the most accurate is Redfin. They also have a great app for the IPhone.
You should try the Coldwell Banker site http://www.camoves.com or visit my website where you can search the MLS directly. Good luck to you.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Tanya, my website will connect you directly to the MLS so that you see what I see regarding available properties. You must "register", no cost or obligation of course, and you set up "listing alerts" which automatically e-mail properties that meet your criteria, in real time!

Good luck on your search.
TheMLS paid site is the only site with "all" of the properties. All other sites (Realtor.com, trulia, zillow, etc) draw their info from the MLS. If you send me your search criteria, cities, price, bedrooms etc., I can set up a email program that will automatically email you any and all new listings, price changes and back-on-the-markets. There is no cost or obligation for this service. If you are ready to buy a home, I am happy to meet with you to go over the process of getting value from foreclosed and distressed propertiers.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Richard Schulman
REALTOR
Top 100 Keller Williams Agents Worldwide
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
310-482-0173