Which suburbs to look into with easy commute to cambridge near MIT.

Asked by KJD, Lynnwood, WA Thu Aug 14, 2014

We are relocating from west coast to east coast. My employer is located in Cambridge near MIT. We are looking to buy a house under $850k. We want good schools, safe neighborhood, and decent lot size (preferably >1 acre). The commute time should be around 1 hr or less by public transportation (preferable) and 30-40 min by car. My husband is quite sensitive to noises so anything right by the highway or rail road crossings is out. Can all these criteria be met?

Answers

2
Adam Shamus, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Sep 2, 2014
Hi KJD, there are a decent amount of communities that could fit your search profile. I would look at Lexington, Concord and Arlington. Burlington, Lynnfield and Stoneham may also be good alternatives. You will want to take a look at homes on line in these communities to see if it is possible to find something that would meet your criteria. Most websites will also provide you with school reports, crime figures and other important area stats. Good luck with your move!
Ken Halpern, Home Buyer, Cambridge, MA
Sun Aug 31, 2014
I'm not sure about public transportation, and car travel times can vary a great deal -- but take a look at the Concord, MA area. Prices have gone up quite a bit recently, but a quick Trulia search showed at least a couple of properties that fit your criteria. Concord is a lovely town, albeit a small one. Before I moved to Cambridge, it was my preferred base for visits when (as is frequently the case) the hotel situation in Boston is untenable. It typically took me 20-30 minutes to drive into Cambridge (off-peak). The western suburbs can be quite expensive, but some of the Northern ones are nice (while others should be avoided) and have decent amounts of land.

Incidentally, I'll second Elizabeth Bolton's comments on driving. Cambridge is an amazing town (I live here) -- but it is a nightmare to drive in or through. During peak times, the major arteries become parking lots. If you can afford it, one strategy may be to have a condo in town and a weekend home an hour or two away. Unlike many other cities, very nice country properties may be had within an hour's (off-peak) drive. NH and (lower Maine) are quite close.