Which one might works better for me? Belmont, San Carlos vs Mission san jose

Asked by Lisa, Fremont, CA Sat Jun 15, 2013

I work in San Francisco and my husband work in San Clara. I am working in a finance service company and it's pretty hard to find a job close by in santa clara. we have a one year old baby and hope to buy a single family house in either Belmont, San Carlos or Mission san jose. I felt the price of houses in Belmont, San Carlos, go up quicker than mission san jose.
We are looking with neighborhoods with good school district, park, good after schools.

Can anyone share some information about these areas?
why do belmont/san carlos appreciate better, how's the future trend?

is it still a good time to buy?

Answers

5
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
The reason home prices go up more rapidly in San Carlos and Belmont are because of the schools and also the location of both cities. San Carlos has one of the best communities and a nice downtown area for dining. Drive by on the weekend and you will see many families at the parks and ballgames with their children.

I don't think anyone on this panel is qualified to predict the future, but if we had to make an educated guess, every market or product has to do wth supply and demand. One huge advantage is the job sector is very strong here with Silicon Valley as the leader. Many companies on the Peninsula are hiring and will continue to hire. Remember, the job and housing market starts here and then spreads to other counties and states. Not vice versa.

If you are looking to own long term, say 7 years plus, I would say real estate is a pretty safe place to park your money. It's not always how much you pay, it's how long you plan on investing in it. No matter where or what the market is, I don't beleive in paying someone elses mortgage.

Now, if rates go up 1 %, buyers will lose approx 10% of their buying power, so there are a lot of variables that come into play. The best advice I can give is to focus on finding the "right" home and negotiating the best you can. After that, sit back and relax and enjoy your new home. You don't profit or lose money when the market moves up or down, only when you sell.

I don't know enough about the market in Mission San Jose to be able to offer you advice, but here is a suggestion. Why not hire two agents, one in MSJ and one in the Belmont/ SC area and whoever finds you the home earns your business. If you decide to do this, make sure to disclose this so both agents know where they stand from day one. I doubt any agent will know both markets, well.

There are also a few other areas that may work for you and your family if you would like to discuss it at a later time.

Tap
Coldwell Banker
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
650-403-6252
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
Hi Lisa

Prudent to find something in Belmont or San Carlos, great areas
And right in between both your commutes.

San Mateo county is a much higher valued County.

Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.ruthandperry.com
Lisa, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
Thanks. Which area you think might be most convieniet for us?
Artur Urbans…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
One spouse working in Silicon Valley and another in San Francisco and business growing and expanding in both places is the reason behind rapid increase of demand for homes on the Peninsula. Michael is absolutely right that what is important for you know is the convenience for all family members. Once you start buying investment property(ies) in the future then you will worry about appreciation rate, etc.
Michael Cheng, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
Cities along the peninsula have seen very rapid appreciation recently. Going forward, they are more likely to reach new highs. But, compared to Mission San Jose, their rate of appreciation will likely be lower in the next few years. Ultimately, appreciation rate is a secondary concern. Given your situation, you should look for a location that works best for your two-career family.
Web Reference:  http://www.archershomes.com