Which in-town neighborhoods in Atlanta offer safety, clean, great schools, family living with great bungalows prices around $300k?

Asked by Matthew, Royal Palm Beach, FL Mon Aug 2, 2010

We're thinking of moving from south Florida to Atlanta for our jobs which will be in Downtown Atlanta. We are 2nd time home buyers thinking of purchasing a bungalow around $300k (FDA loan) to live in for 2 yrs and then rent and move to a larger home $1mm-$2mm. We would like to purchase a turnkey (3/2 min) with back yard for dogs. Being close to restaurants or cafes would be nice, as well as dog park. I have read about Ansley Park, and Peachtree but have yet to visit and are planning to make a trip once we collect enough feedback prior to selecting an Agent.

Answers

15
Lisa Crowder, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
I suggest you look in the Emory area. You won't find a bungalow, but you could certainly find a 3/2 ranch home around $300k and you'll have a constant supply of renters looking in the vicinity because of the campus. Specifically, I'd look in the 30033, 30329, 30345 zip codes. Your budget will be a significant limitation but you should have a variety of options in these areas.

This is a more suburban area -- not hip but very stable. There's a nice dog park at Mason Mill Park (off Clairmont Road). You're a little distance from the more popular intown restaurant and business districts, but there are still a variety of restaurants nearby with lots within a 15 minute drive radius.

FYI, Ansley Park is a good option in your $1mm - $2mm range but all you'll find in Ansley Park for under $300k is a rather small condo.
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
Davis Bottomley nailed the answer. So, did Laurie.

If I had to choose one, "around $300k" ("FDA loan"...hmmmm...the Food and Drug Administration are giving out loans now? what is our government thinking?????) and I worked in downtown ATL, and I wanted to rent that property as a long term play after residing there for just 2 years, and I had your immediate criteria, then I would go with either a "turnkey" 2/2 in Oakhurst or a "turnkey" 2/2 in Grant Park.

Scott's right about the "around $300k" price point challenging you to find the best 3/2's that meet your criteria - some element will almost always disappoint.

Many of us have sold some sweet Intown 3/2's around $350000.

Today, another Trulia Q&A appeared that asked the question: "What's the Best place to live in Atlanta?"

I added the link to that Q&A in the web reference, and f I had to choose one neighborhood to invest in the $1 Million + range, your next move, and if I had to meet all of your basic criteria and still have an easy commute to downtown, then my choice would be Brookwood Hills.

If you like Ansley Park, you'll probably like Brookwood Hills, just across the tracks...

Good luck, and check out The Glenn or maybe an Inman Park B&B if you are looking for a hotel during your next downtown visits...
laurie cass, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
You can find bungalows for around 300,000-350,000 in Decatur, Candler Park, Oakhurst and less expensive ones in East Atlanta. All of these neighborhoods have dog parks, restaurants and are close to Downtown Atlanta. All of these areas would be great areas to have rental property as they are all quite popular and seem to be growing more popular as the schools continue to improve. As far as a larger home in the 1 million-2 million dollar range....besides Ansley, Druid Hills is a beautiful neighborhood with wonderful schools, parks, large lots and just an amazing place to live. The taxes are much lower than Ansley Park as you will not pay city of Atlanta taxes. There are some great deals right now in more exclusive neighborhoods such as Buckhead, Chastain, Springlake and Dunwoody. Good luck!
Scott Askew, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
Matthew -

It will be difficult, even with the economy the way it is right now, to find a 'turn-key' 3+ bedroom, 2 bath single-family home in an area within walking distance to restaurants in the $300,000 price range.

Our office is in the Morningside/Virginia Highland area and meets all your requirements (good schools, walking distance 'mini-parks' throughout) except for price. Ansley is more expensive.

You might think about Decatur, Candler Park and some areas a bit further 'out' but still within the Perimeter (285).

If we can help, please contact us. You can also go to our website, 14west.com and search communities and homes at your leisure to get a better feel for the Capitol of The South!

Take care.
David Bottom…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Oakhurst and Grant Park would be great areas to look. Good Bungalows in your price range and walking distance or a short drive to shops and restaurants. Feel free to call or email to help in any way.
Nancy Huffman, , Atlanta, GA
Fri Sep 24, 2010
Matthew,
Emory area has my vote for bungalows in the $200K to $300K price range. Medlock Park/University Heights specifically. Very stable area of 1950s bungalows, many of which have been updated to compete with newer homes. North Dekalb - Briarcliff/LaVista area is also a good choice and considered the Emory area. Both are around 8 miles from downtown. Decatur/Emory area offers walking to restaurants, MARTA (bus/subway), quaint downtown Decatur area and many updated bungalows. I would suggest staying in the Emory area - Druid Hills/Va. Highlands/Morningside for the second purchase as well. These are a few miles closer in, but offer the benefits of a small town feel and convenience to downtown Atlanta. Good luck on the move!

Nancy Huffman
Solid Source Realty GA LLC
Office: 770-475-1130 x8345
Direct: 770-401-5500
nhuffman@solidsourcerealty.com
http://www.atlantadreamhomefinders.com
J Craig Dodd, , Atlanta, GA
Wed Aug 4, 2010
All of these are great answers, but I would suggest Piedmont Heights. It is adjacent to Ansley Park, Piedmont Park, and close to many great restaurants. You have the option of getting on 85 to go into town or take Piedmont and be downtown in no time. Since I have lived in Midtown for twenty years now, I have added insight into the area and would love to work with you.

My firm, Sanctuary Real Estate specializes in In Town properties with two offices located in Midtown and Inman Park. Please visit our website. You may contact me at craig@yourownsanctuary.com
dorenezeller…, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Thu Oct 23, 2014
Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Dennis Hopkins Finance Home he help me with a loan of $300.000 some days ago after been scammed of $2500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $300.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email: dennishopkins_financehome@live.com or dennishopkins69@yahoo.com or http://www.dennishopkinsfinance.de.vu Tel: USA +12404374240 .He is a trust worthy man.
Zach Thalman, , Midwest, WY
Thu Oct 23, 2014
There are a lot of places downtown that offer all of these commodities you are looking for. Living in the city allows you to live close to so many businesses and shops. It is almost like living in a shopping mall. You also have some of the nicer stores you wouldn't see in other parts of the state. There are lots of good things that come from downtown living.

Zach | http://streetcar.ca/why-streetcar/10-reasons-to-believe/
Jessica Sava…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Oct 22, 2014
Hi! I'd love to help you on your move from South Florida to Atlanta. I am an Atlanta resident of 24 years and know the area very well. I'd love to talk!

Feel free to give me a call!

Jessica Savage
Keller Williams Realty Consultants
404-309-0029
jlsavage6@gmail.com
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Tue Aug 3, 2010
These are some very good responses from everyone here, and I agree, that the $300K price is tough, but not impossible. I have to agree with Lisa Crowder about the option of looking in the Emory area and also in North and Northwest Decatur. Decatur is a great true "walking town" with restaurants and cafes. The other issue besides price, will be quality of schools and safety - that will require a very targeted analysis. Several folks have mentioned Oakhurst, Kirkwood and East Atlanta - yes, bungalows can be found there but, you would need to personally visit these areas to see if they are acceptable - I worked near there for years and that would not be my first chice to meet your criteria. They have made a nice transformation over the last ten to fifteen years, but are still not really what I call safe "family" neighborhoods - I think of them as more of an area for young "urban pioneers". I would stay north of the railroad tracks in the Decatur area. I know some agents will disagree but I speak from a positon of long experince working in those areas.

I agree with Lee, Brookwood Hills is great for the $1-$2 mil range as is Ansley Park, Druid Hills, and many Buckhead and In-Town areas - even Virginia Highland. For more info on these areas feel free to visit my website at http://www.thehomebuyersrep.com/atlanta_intown_homes.htm .

I would be happy to provide you with more info and assistance to help you find the perfect investment for the short and long term.

My Wise Buyer Program provides over $5000 worth of free home structural and major systems analysis in addition to top buyer representation. There is nothing else like it in Atlanta - with this system you are more informed because you know what you are buying Before you ever submit your offer! That approach has many significant benefits - for more information, see the site below.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions or need immediate assistance.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
877-787-7167
“Know what you’re buying - Before you submit your offer!”
Chris Yates, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Tue Aug 3, 2010
You've got a wealth of knoledge to choose from her, Matthew - Scott, Davis, Laurie, MR. TAYLOR - all gave some spot on insights. Ansley and Peachtree Park are gonna lean to the high end on price, but Oakhurst, Grant Park and Candler Park may meet your needs. Most folks are attracted to Virginia-Highland due to the proximity of shops and restaurants but your price point will be tough to find there. East Atlanta Village may be another option but you should take a look to see if it its your needs. The good news is you have options in terms of location - you may not find a house that meets 100% of your needs and wants but you can surely find a 90-95% house. Good luck and welcome to Atlanta!

Chris Yates
Keller Williams Realty First Atlanta
404.234.1764
Twitter - @IntownATLRep
Web Reference:  http://www.intownrep.com
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Tue Aug 3, 2010
Was betting Matthew meant USDA loan, Lee, but not being a loan expert thought the best way to respond was with a web reference. Maybe not. Tongue-in-cheek may have worked as well.

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
"We're thinking of moving from south Florida to Atlanta for our jobs which will be in Downtown Atlanta. We are 2nd time home buyers thinking of purchasing a bungalow around $300k (FDA loan) to live in for 2 yrs and then rent and move to a larger home $1mm-$2mm. We would like to purchase a turnkey (3/2 min) with back yard for dogs. Being close to restaurants or cafes would be nice, as well as dog park. I have read about Ansley Park, and Peachtree but have yet to visit and are planning to make a trip once we collect enough feedback prior to selecting an Agent."

Prior to making your move, Matthew, you may want to peruse the web reference below. Not being a mortgage broker, I cannot advise you on your choice of an FDA loan, but believe that your housing selection in doing so could be limited to more rural counties than Fulton. I grew up on the south side, with a short commute to downtown, and bigger homes and yards than our in town neighbors. In whatever you ultimately decide, Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Rob Davidson, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 2, 2010
As an 8th generation native of Atlanta and bloodlines of one of its founding families, I have my biases. Even with real estate prices down, you might be challenged to find a 3/2 around $300k in some of the areas closest to work like you cite. I like Ansley, Midtown, and the Highlands - all closer to downtown and with higher prices, but prefer Buckhead or Brookhaven proper. Again, prices run in all these areas upwards of $500k to several million. If you could get close to Chastain park, that would be ideal for much of want you want. Wonderful, large park for dogs and all the family. Also, that area boasts the top public elementary schools in the state with Sarah Smith first, followed by Jackson, and then Morris Brandon. I presently have my former home up for sale in that area, though it's a 3/3 town home condominium with 2400 sq feet. It's listed competitively in your price range, is in the Sarah Smith school district, walking distance to shops & restaurants as well as Chastain Park, though a very private & exclusive complex of only 24 homes that circle around a beautiful, large swimming pool. You can check the link, below, for this property. You'll also find my cell phone there and likely my email. I welcome you to my hometown and stand ready to help you get settled and acclimated in any way. All the Best with your planning - Rob