Which agent should I use to make an offer?

Asked by Mamaleina, Utica, NY Mon Aug 1, 2011

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I found a house that I was interested in and contacted the listing agent directly in order to see the house as quickly as possible. I definitely want to make an offer. However, I also need to sell my home (not on the market yet) and want to use a different realtor for that. Should I make the offer through the same realtor who I want to sell my home? Will the listing agent be offended if we work with someone else? I know I shouldn't care about feelings, but the listing agent went above and beyond for us, and I want to make sure I'm being fair. They are from two different agencies, if that makes a difference.

Answers

10
Sharon Chase, Agent, Chesterfield, MI
Tue Aug 2, 2011
If you want your rights properly represented, you are best off working with your own agent. Different agencies would be best, but if the agent you are most comfortable with is in the same office that is still fine. When searching out an agent to represent you look for an agent who is a Certified Residential Specialist. This accredidation ensures the agent has been trained on all aspects of buying and selling residential homes, and not just completed the state licensing course. Agents who carry the ABR, Accredited Buyers Represntative, designation are also better prepared to represent you in negotiations while you purchase your next home. Good luck!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
You are free to choose and work with whoever you wish; choose your agent with care....
Robin Lawren…, Agent, barneveld, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
In my opinion, go with who you feel most comfortable with. someone you trust. feel free to ask for references. In New York , the laws of disclosure are pretty well 'spelled out'. You need to go with someone that you feel can do the job and that you can work closely with to achieve the mutual goal of selling your home for most the market will bear, in the quickest time. Best of luck on your new adventure!
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Hi, You have the right to hire and work with whoever you like. The listing agent ALWAYS represents the sellers best interst not the buyers. Anything you say to the agent can and will most likely be used against you in a negotiation. If you decide to work with one agent to sell your home and help you buy a home either way they will have your best interest at heart.

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Mama,

It has often been said through this very forum that buyers would be well advised to seek their own personal representation in an effort to try to prevent any possible conflict of interest.

The fact the the listing agent "went above and beyond" may be related to the fact that they want to sell the property for their customer.

You do have a choice....the listing agent. your listing agent. or even a third party. Once again, it would be advisable to avoid any possible conflict of interest scenarios.

Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Mamaleina,

Another thing to consider is if you plan on financing the house are you Pre-Approved for a mortgage? It's wise to confirm your buying ability before you place an offer on a home.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/elliott_r_oliva/2011/07/pre-quali…
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Would personally separate myself from the house you are interested in. First task is to sell the house before even making an offer on the house you are intersted in. Do not believe you can buy before selling and need to get your home SOLD first. Contingency deals are very "iffy". So go to step 1 first and get yourself a good Agent to handle both sides of the transaction professionally. Best of Luck
Zisis Sakell…, Agent, Fayetteville, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Hi Mamaleina,

If you don't have a signed buyers contract with any agent you can do what ever you want.

If the listing agent is the one who first showed you the property I think you should use that agent to buy your house and any other agent you want to sell your house. I think this would be fair and no one could be upset with you.

However, just a side note, with most contingent offers, not always, your house needs to be on the market or ready to list that day for a seller to consider your offer.

Good Luck,
Zisis
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Mamaleina,
The listing agents job is to get the house sold. If you use them to buy, you are helping the seller, potentially at your expense. Listing agents work for the home owner, not the seller. Some agents attempt to hold a "dual agency" relationship, which is fraught with risk. I don't believe most humans can be completely impartial and they will have a deeper relationship with the seller.
Interview and hire an agent you trust to work on your behalf, for both transactions. A good agent will bring value to both transactions and lookout for your interests at all times. Best of luck.
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Use whom ever you trust for either transaction. At the end of the day you want the agent who is protecting your best interest in each transaction. If you want to use two different agents go for it. The listing agent will appreciate your loyalty on the first transaction then you can use the other agent to sell your home if you feel they will do a better job. You never know you maybe impressed with the first guy so much you will use him to sell your home!

Web Reference:  http://www.ajsocalteam.com