Where to look for waterfront vacation homes?

Asked by Casey Mccormick, Flower Mound, TX Wed Apr 9, 2008

We would like to purchase a vacation/ investment property on the water somewhere. I would like it to be with in 1-2 hrs. from an airport, close to a quaint downtown area. I would like some place that will appreciate with time. Please let me know what the trends are in vacation/ summer communities. Thank you for your advice.

Answers

10
M, , Florida
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Dear Casey,
Larry Story referred our firm. All we do is help our clients locate retirement, vacation and second/investment properties across the US. We are considered a leader in this market and have helped hundreds of clients from around the world. We have a proven process that focuses on your budget, lifestyle choices, geographic requirements and personal requirements such as medical. Please give me a call and let us help you with your property search.
The Schaffer Realty Group
Marian Schaffer
terry@marianschaffer.com
877-886-8388
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Apr 18, 2008
Casey, If you are indeed in Flower Mound, have you considered a waterfront home on a lake in Texas? Rockwall, Rowlett, Heath and many others have several waterfront properties and you can boat, ski etc... and you would still be in the DFW area. Unless you are wanting to be by the ocean, then you can head south.
Web Reference:  http://www.sumnerrealty.com
Brian Stitzi…, Agent, Collins, MS
Fri Apr 18, 2008
Casey,

It looks like you might be in Flower Mound, TX so I have a suggestion that might sound strange. Check the beaches in Alabama, specifically the Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan areas. Sand is sugary white. You are 11-12 hours by car and 45 minutes from Pensacola airport and a little over one hour from Mobile. Prices are cheaper than Fla. We have been renting our beach house there for six years. It cash flows and pays for itself so we can enjoy it a couple times a year. Our neighbors are from Austin. You should check out a place several times to see if you to see if the area is right for you as it is something that you will keep for many years. By the way, my office is in Flower Mound. If you need to rent go to http://www.meyerre.com a broker in that area.
Karen Benvin…, Agent, Bedford, TX
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Considering the weather lately, It may be less volatile to have a home on a glacial lake than the coastline. I know of wonderful homes on a very prestigious lake in Northen Westchester, New York - 30 minutes to Westchester County Airport and an hour to New York City! There are charmiong areas to explore - Bedford Village, Scotts Corners in Pound Ridge, The Hamlets of Katonah, Bedford Hills and the the Town voted #1 in Westchester - Mt. Kisco with Movies, book stores, national chains and many restaurants. Do not forget we also enjoy Museum Mile with the Katonah Musum, The John Jay Homestead and the Caramoor International Music Festival with the Tours of the House Museum. There are lectures, teas and concerts throughout the year. Then there are the villages along the Hudson River to enjoy as well.
JoAnn Donohue, Agent, Marysville, WA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Water! We have water! Do you want river views, bay views, ocean views, or lake views? We offer it all. Washington state includes a chain of 174 islands called the San Juans. Additionally we have Whidby and Camano Islands, both located about 1 to 1 1/2 hour north of Seattle. Canano Island is reached by driving across a bridge. Whidbey Island can be reached by ferry or driving across a bridge at Deception Pass. Whidby Island offers a couple of very quaint villages for dining and shopping. I could go on and on and on about locations we have, but it would be most helpful to know what kind of water you would like to be near and then I could narrow my list of recommendations.
Sharon Steve…, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Wed Apr 9, 2008
St. Augustine Florida may fit the bill for you. We are located in Northeast Florida just south of Jacksonville. (Jacksonville airport is just 45 minutes away). The housing market has been down for the past 2 years but we have been seeing heavy buyer activity these past 3 months--- so prices have bottomed out and this will be an excellent investment for you.
You may investigate the area and learn more by visiting my website.

Sharon Stevens,Realtor
St Augustine Real Estate Inc
904-687-5220
Web Reference:  http://www.MyStAug.com
Amy Dyer, Agent, Escanaba, MI
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Welcome to the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan!! We have reasonably priced homes on Lake Michigan, inland lakes and rivers. I am going to attach the link to our website which covers our entire MLS for you to peruse .. there are some great buys to be had. Ask for Amy!!
Best regards, Amy
Amy Dyer ABR, GRI
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Pro Realty
Escanaba MI 49829
1-800-787-5478 adyer@coldwellbanker.com
Fiona Macken…, Agent, Kelseyville, CA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Beautiful Lake County, California is the place to search. Clear Lake is California's largest lake with over a 100 miles of shoreline. Sacramento airport is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. Oakland and San Francisco airports are 2 1/2 - 3 hours away. Downtown Lakeport is quaint and historic. Generally we say that lake front homes sell themselves, but right now slaes are slow. We are in a buyer's market. It's an excellent time to buy. Go to my website and search the Lake County MLS for lakefront homes, or send me your e-mail and I will send you a link to lakefront homes that are currently for sale in beautiful Lake County, California.
Ginger Carney, , Sebastopol, CA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
What type of temperature would you like to enjoy in the summer? Bodega Bay, California is beautiful and is on the ocean however it can be very cold there in the summer time due to the fog and wind. It is within 45 minutes of the Santa Rosa airport (small) and about 1.5 hours from the San Francisco or Oakland airports. What about Lake Tahoe, California? It is very beautiful, with cool pristine mountain air. It really depends on what you prefer. I can tell you that here in California we have many vacation homes for sale at drastically reduced prices. Search all of the MLS on my website if you like for real estate in Northern California. If you have a question about a property specifically click on "more information" and I will be emailed directly. Happy vacation home searching!
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Casey,

I am going to include an email address and a website. This service which is of no obligation to you is just what you need it sounds like. They specialize in vacation homes and retirement homes. They will find the areas that match your needs and start the search. You can tell them the climate you want, attributes to the area or anything they can find it. So drop terry a line and they will help you find it. terry@marianschaffer.com

Good Luck
Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad