Where should I buy a 3bd/2.5bth house in NJ?

Asked by Cliff.alarcon82, North Bergen, NJ Fri May 11, 2012

I'm a 30 yr old recently married young professional that want to buy his first home. We absolutely need 3 bds and at the very least 2 baths. We'd need a yard for the dog, and hopefully the property has a deck and porch. We haven't started looking but the towns we love are South Orange, Maplewood, Westfield and Morristown. We are looking to spend $315k as our max. We are willing to get a fixer upper if we can get it on the cheap and reno since I work in the building products industry and have contractor friends. We do not want to pay Montclair type taxes and would love to keep the taxes under $8k a year and still hopefully be in a good town for schools. We have also discussed going as far Northwest as Sparta if we can get more house/land for the money, but really love the downtown field of the above mentioned towns. Anyone have any advice as to other towns we should consider, or if any of this is realistic? Anyone done this or is this not reality? Thanks!

Answers

13
Kathleen Con…, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Hi Cliff,
I would be happy to discuss your goals and set you up with automatic emails which will deliver emails to you as soon as a property comes on the market that meets all (or the majority) of your criteria.

The best way to move forward with your search is to become as educated on the market as soon as possible. This next step will help greatly. I have other recommendations as well. Please call or email me to set this up.

My Best Regards,
Kathleen
Jose Martinez, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Sat Oct 13, 2012
You should be able to find many homes in that range. Call me Coldwell Banker can get you home.

Jose Martinez
Coldwell Banker Home loans Hoboken NJ
201-494-1973
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Oct 10, 2012
well, Cliff - since you asked this back in May - if you're still here reading this......if you already bought a home.....where did you wind up moving?

and, Jose...........come on.........Alpine?????????.............seriously??

did you bother to read the price range is 315,000?

He'd need to add at least a 1, 2 or 3 in front of that to afford Alpine!
Jose Martinez, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Tue Oct 9, 2012
Alpine nj.

Jose Martinez
201-494-1973
Cold well banker home loans
Hoboken nj
carolle dono…, Agent, morristown, NJ
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi-
You should consider Morris County-Denville,Rockaway etc.Much better taxes than Montclair,S. orange etc.

If you would like to send me your email Iwill be happy to send you listingd.

Regards,Carolle
cadonof@aol.com

973-960-8003
Laquita Baez, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi Cliff, how is your home search going? If you still havent found a home I can discuss some options and areas with you.
Rich, Both Buyer And Seller, Barnegat, NJ
Sat May 19, 2012
When I relocated to nj I was working in west orange, nice town but I headed south to Barnegat nj and could not be happier! Great schools with a new high school, beautiful new rail/trail, taxes are low and great houses!!! Look at thIs one the end of a street for only 299,999! Low taxes 4 bedrooms. http://www.century21.com/property/125-georgetown-barnegat-nj…
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue May 15, 2012
Hi Cliff

Well, pull up a chair, and relax, as I am sure your head will be spinning after reading all the town suggestions offered by agents in various areas!!

Let's start with the towns you mentioned:
1. There are a number of listings in your price range, but........... It will be difficult to find homes with taxes under $8000 in Maplewood and S. orange. I checked through the current listings from 250,000 - 315,00, and they averaged $9-10,000+.

2. Westfield is a lovely town, but pricey........ there is only 1 home currently listed in your price range (at 290,000) with 3 bedrooms, it is a short sale.
3. I didn't check Morristown yet, but your options there will also be somewhat limited.

The good news is......there are other towns in this general area to consider.

To answer your other specific question...yes, you will be able to get more for your money in Sparta, and other towns further west - I can check and report back if you'd like, or I can email you listings.

Now...........where else should you consider???

Know that most of the "train" towns (especially with the Mid Town Direct train) are priced a bit higher due to their convenient commute to the city.

So.........Where do you work? What kind of a commute are you looking for?

You might wan to consider the town right next door to S. Orange - West Orange - which offers a jitney service to the mid town direct train and a good number of homes in your price range.
I just showed 2 really charming colonials the other day in W. Orange, , listed at 269,000 and 279,00 - really good values for the money...... taxes might be a tiny bit lower than SO and Maplewood.

Since you have a number of options...........it would be helpful to speak with agents in different areas to get a feel of the towns they cover.

I cover all of Essex County, parts of Morris and Union Counties.....once I know more about your likes, dislikes......... style preferences and needs..........I could help you add or eliminate towns .

Hope this has been helpful......and best wshes in your search!

Please let me know if I can be of help!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Jane Shebroe, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Tue May 15, 2012
I have the perfect home to show you! Please call or email me so I can email you the listing.

Jane
973-766-4018
jmax123@aol.com
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Fri May 11, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Rockaway. There are currently 56 homes on the market there that may meet your criteria. You'll have lots of different neighborhood choices(lake communties, etc), be convenient to all major roadways, shopping, etc. I grew up and live there myself so I am a bit partial, but I do think it offers the most options and "bang" for the buck. If you want some more perspective let me know.

Christine Ge…, Agent, Northfield, NJ
Fri May 11, 2012
oh, and taxes are $5500 a year...
Christine Ge…, Agent, Northfield, NJ
Fri May 11, 2012
Hi Cliff!
Well, if you're looking to move a little further down South Jersey, I have a home here in Egg Harbor Township that would be perfect for you! (I'm originally from Cliffside Park, by the way!) Anyway, it's a dentist's home, his practice is in a separate part of the home that used to be a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. It can be converted back. HUGE property, landscaped, if you'd like to give me an email address, I'd be happy to send you the MLS listing for it... It's $300k, 6 total bedrooms. Let me know!
Christine :0)
carolle dono…, Agent, morristown, NJ
Fri May 11, 2012
Hi-
You might want to consider Denville- not as far as Sparta and has a great downtown,good schools and a train to mid town direct.

Contact me if you would like me to send you avail listings.

Regards,Carolle Donofrio

cadonof@aol.com
973-960-8002