Where do you go to find a great Slate Roof Repaired?

Asked by Maribeth Duclos, Loudonville, NY Wed Jan 23, 2013

Answers

6
Zachary Lombardi’s answer
Wed Jan 23, 2013
A&Z Property Services is my father's business...he has been doing slate for over 30 years one of the best and most reasonable in the capital region

Tony Lombardi
Home phone 518-827-4543
Cell phone 518-225-1466
Off topic, to Zach.... I went to school with a Tony Lombardi, but my boyfriend. also knew a Tony Lombardi. I grew up in Albany and he grew up in Guilderland and the one he knew was from Schenectady and they used to hang out as kids. Where is your dad's family from? Feel free to email me privately... bestalbanyhomes@gmail.com.... we are curious. Meanwhile, I will definitely put your dad on my referral list.
Flag Wed Jan 23, 2013
Sheryl Rizzo, Home Buyer,
Wed Apr 22, 2015
In NYC across from Central Park is the iconic building, The St. Urban, which originally had a beautiful slate roof but due to the cost of repairing and continued maintenance was removed and replaced with a beautiful overlapping copper shingled roof.

The great roof and tower of the 1906 Saint Urban apartment house building was originally a slate roof but had been replaced in the 1960's with a 6,000 square feet asphalt roof. The asphalt shingles were not as durable as slate. Due to deterioration the asphalt and copper detailing was damaged by succeeding generations of riggers, so the asphalt and the balcony running along the 10th-floor level was damaged over time and was taken down instead of repaired. The balcony had shielded the lower facade from water and its removal created widespread leaks. Windows later cut into the mansard roof and produced more leaks. Its $750,000 project roof-work program rebuilt the copper dormers and the turret, putting in new gutters and replacing the asphalt, not with slate, but with overlapping copper shingles, so now it is just as durable as, and weighs much less than, the building's original slate roof.

I am not sure of the cost factor for copper shingles, but if your home is as you stated, "worth-it" then perhaps this is a better alternative.

http://www.facebook.com/sheryl.rizzo.7, where I have the picture I took and the history of the St. Urban, providing the above info.
Sheryl Rizzo, Home Buyer,
Wed Apr 22, 2015

Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Wed Mar 11, 2015
Have you talked to some roofing contractors? I know that some contractors don't even repair slate. There's a city building in my town that has a slate roof, and it hasn't been repaired for decades. I'm assuming it's because nobody in my area knows how to do it. http://www.slateroofingrepair.com
Janice L. Co…, Agent, Albany, NY
Sat Feb 1, 2014
To Zachary.... just gave your dad's name to another realtor. I kept the contact info....
Ian Smith, Both Buyer And Seller, Albany, NY
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Slate is too expensive to repair or replace unless your structure has major historical appeal (that will really be reflected in your selling price - get the opinion if at least three experienced agents if it is worth it), usually it does not make economic sense to do anything but remove the side that is leaking and replace with 30 year asphalt shingles that match the grey colour of the slate side...
What if it is worth it to you and you can afford it? I would really like to keep the slate shingles on my roof, but some need to be repaired. Is the functionality not going to be very good, or will it still withhold against the elements? http://karbellaconstruction.com
Flag Fri Feb 13, 2015
That's really too bad that slate roofing is too expensive to repair. I am looking into buying a house that has the most beautiful slate roofing. A couple of them are broken, and I was really hoping that I could get it repaired. http://www.hgnroofing.com.au
Flag Thu Nov 20, 2014