Where do families (with pets) relocating to Portland stay temporarily (3 months) while house hunting? We are

Asked by Autumn Buyer, Portland, OR Tue Jul 7, 2009

looking for something decent close in neighborhood with a w/d, yard, garage and allows 3 pets for under $2k starting in August. I'm already scouring craigslist daily.

Also, is a 3 month window reasonable to go from search to signing on a property if our financing has already been approved?

Any leads are appreciated.

Answers

8
Michael Schu…, Both Buyer And Seller, 92627
Fri Jul 10, 2009
cornerstone lloyd district apartments
1425 ne 7 th
503 235 2869
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Wed Jul 8, 2009
This is one of those "costs vs. time" situations.

It will be costly for a short-term rental with pets. Landlords like to have upfront pet fees (make sure most of the fee is refundable), deposits, etc.

If you're planning to purchase, will your hard money be tied up with deposits and fees? When you vacate after a short term rental, will you be forfeiting any of the fees?? You want to have as much cash on hand to show the lender. By the way . . . have you been pre-approved for your home loan? This is a VERY important step in the process of buying.

If you are thinking of a 'short stay' residential place, such as the Marriott, again -- check costs. I think it will be over $2,000 a month. Also, there may be a pet maximum allowed. So be sure to let people know you have three pets in tow.

Three months is VERY reasonable. The typical escrow period is 30-45 days. Your best bet, and one that is most cost effective, is to arrange for a weekend here in town, and look at property. You do NOT have to buy, but you may find some place you like that will work!

I've assisted quite a number of relocation buyers who did just that: Arrived in town for the weekend, and aggressively scoured the market. They found properties and went into contract.

I was here for the rest of the transaction, and assisted them (home inspection, appraisal, negotiating repairs, working with lenders, keeping them on track to close). Arranging for a long-distance move is something that you want PEACE OF MIND! And I've provided that to many, many relocation clients!

Buying a property can be complicated, and buying when you're not in town is very important to have someone you trust emphatically!

Be careful of Craigs List. Do NOT send anyone money . . . deal with LOCAL owners! I had a rental property that I own get "pirated" but alert people were kind enough to email me to let me know.

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
"Exclusive Buyer Agency" in Metro Portland
Web Reference:  http://www.EBAPortland.com
Julie Early, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Autumn,
For shorter term stays the Marriot's Residence Inn allows pets, or at least they use to. Good luck.

Julie Early
Broker
Hasson Company Realtors
503-957-4450
Ruth Velez, Agent, Banks, OR
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Hi, Autumn:

It's ironic you have this question. I was just doing a search myself to help a family member to locate a place to stay while in town. I did an internet search for "pet-friendly apartments in Portland" and came up with several possibilities, depending on exactly where you want to stay during that time. Many of them are apartments that allow pets. Some are homes, but most of those usually want at least a 1-year lease. So probably the best solution would be to find an apartment that will rent either month to month, or for a short lease period, such as 3 to 6 months. This will give you time to do your house hunting, without necessarily locking yourself into a long period of time.

Once you're up here, I'd be happy to assist you with your search, if you don't already have an agent lined up.

I wish you success with your temporary housing, as well as with your house hunting.

Ruth Velez
Capstone Real Estate LLC
503-975-0525
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Autumn, the cost to fly in is less expensive than renting and waiting an extra 30-45 days until the property closes to move in. If you could fly in we could look at 20-30 homes that you could pre select down to 10-15 in a day or two we could see them and I am sure you would be very comfortable in your decision. We don't have many rentals in that 2K range but short term and with pet migght push the price. A plane ticket would not cost that much? As a dog owner I know how hard it is to travel and find places to stay. There are getting to be more places that take pets. Give me a call and lets talk?

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAx Equity Group inc
ABR,CRS,EA S.T.A.R. eco-broker
503-319-9035
Kevin Levy, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Hello Autumn, That is great that you are relocating to Portland. You're going to love it here.
I found this post that's close-in and allows month to month and pet(s).
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/1255822669.html
Hopefully that can work out.
For other Portland Relocation tips you can view:
http://www.RelocationToPortland.com
You should have no problem finding the perfect home with approved financing within 3 months.
Most of your favorite close-in Portland neighborhoods and their community I wrote about at:
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/
I would be happy to assist you in securing a pet-friendly month to month lease while searching for your perfect home. Please feel free to call me anytime: 503-267-7535

Kevin Levy
Portland Relocation services
M Realty
503-267-7535
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Extended Stay America near Nike I think will also be a good place.

Otherwise it will be a little tough....Portland in a Big Craigslist town....try the housing section and search the keyword for "Short term" and you will find one.

Best wishes Autumn.

I can find you something if we work together as well...so I will throw that in.

Best wishes;

Dirk Knudsen
Re/Max Metro Gold
Web Reference:  http://www.calldirk.com
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Residence Inn and other hotels that have full kitchens and monthly rates are a good way to go.

Yes, a three month window is totally reasonable for a Realtor and Loan Officer who are on the ball.

I'd love to help. (For free first home inspection and more benefits see my webpage.)

Best of Luck!