Home Buying in Newark>Question Details

KGordon, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Where can you find a good Home Inspector? What should it cost on average, and what should it include?

Asked by KGordon, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jun 22, 2008

Answers

16
Njhomeowner’s answer
We bought two houses in NJ in the last three years. We used home inspectors (different ones) in both cases. They charged us between 250-350 (radon included for 350). Do we think its worth the money? Its a ripoff, he spends an hour or so, looking mostly at obvious things and tries to come up with repairs worth 200-1000 (which you can use to negotiate with the seller), trying to recover the money you give him. The fact is, they miss many basic problems, sometimes these can be expensive.

Will we use another Home Inspector when/if we buy another house? Most likely, what if we end up with some big repair that a home inspector could have warned us about !
Here's the list that I recommend:

American Home Inspectors
Pam Smith, General Manager
P.O. Box 33
Hawthorn, NJ 07507
973-423-2424
http://www.mpamericanhome.com
Servicing all of New Jersey.

HouseMasters
Sergio Angione
973-299-1808
Fax: 973-200-1809
http://www.housemaster.com

Tadco Inspection Services
Safwat Tadrous
P.O. Box 711
North Bergen, NJ 07047
201-222-5322
Fax: 201-222-2442

Home Diagnostic Inspection, Inc.
226 Summer Street
East Rutherford, NJ 07073
Inspector: George White
Assistant: Darren
(201) 896-8004

All will be happy to discuss their fees and what they inspect. (Please mention my name if you call them.)

Best of luck to you!

Joan Prout, MBA
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Villa REALTORS
Jersey City, NJ
mailto:Joan@JoanProut.com
800-671-0596x1
Web Reference: http://www.JoanProut.com
Sergio Angione is HORRIBLE:
- late and gave no apology nor reason
- added me to spam lists without my consent
- dressed for an office not for work
- gave me a book for ME to check off things?!?!?!?
- he took NO NOTES and even corrected his report later
- brought a short ladder and wouldn't let me use it
- only walked 2 of the 4 surfaces of my roof
- only inspected about 5 of my 25 windows and flashing from outside
- never looked at any part of my oil tank except the front surface
- refused to go to the edges of my attic because there were no boards there
- didn't test the attic fan because it was too cold...why not hold your thumb on or put a lighter near the thermostat sensor?
- didn't test A/C operation for the same reason...could have at least checked that it all turned on
- only checked some of my outlets and missed the deadly 220V one for a dryer
- never checked the dryer vent for clogs or even to see if it really went outside
- never checked the washer supply lines to see if th
Flag Fri Aug 21, 2015
DO NOT use Safwat Tadrous. This guy must have taken home inspection through a correspondence course. Missed a million issues with our home, including pest damage, signs of squirrel infestation, and water damage, all of which would have been obvious to a trained eye.....er......home inspector. Do yourself a favor and avoid "Tadco".

Ask yourself whether a competent home inspector would show up without a ladder.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 27, 2013
Riteway Home Inspections LLC
http://www.ritewaynj.com
I word to the wise. If you know there is something wrong with the home, walk from the home and find another home. The rule is if you need a home inspector so that he/she can tell you your home is okay and it is something that you see, but would like a second opinion on, run; don't walk, the other way. I once appraised a home that was sloping so bad that a marble would roll up hill. The owner told me that the realtor got a home inspector and passed the home as safe. While this may be true, most banks will not refinance a home like this and most home buyers will not buy a home like this. So while the Realtor and home inspector are spending their checks, the home owner is holding the bag, a house that can’t be sold or refinanced.
Just saw this... well most appraisers are really nothing but lakeys for the banks. And ALL are wannabe home inspectors. I've run into too many inspectors that are not worth the time of day and more appraisers then that. You need to use a home inspector that is an engineer or home builder.. someone with knowledge, not fancy gadgets. No inspector is going to find everything that is wrong, but your inspector should be knowledgeable in building homes, with the inspector at least you have a choice... you never know what schelp that calls themselves an apprasiser is going to show up.
Flag Thu Jun 27, 2013
I came here through google search looking for a Home inspector for my second house and saw this guy's name being recommended so I had to comment, even though it's an old post but it may help someone in future.

We had a VERY BAD experience with Sergio Angione from Housemasters. He did not inspect VERY Basic things in the house we purchased in Jersey City. It cost us over $35,000 in repairs to fix what this person missed and brought me to tears when I found out what was missed. He missed a leak from the roof which was so evident from the water stains on the second floor ceilings. We ended up replacing the entire roof as it would leak every time it would rain. He refused to go to the roof of the house, he didn't bring a ladder and didn't tell us in advance. He did not turn on or make an effort to test the heating system. We ended up getting new boiler.
He missed water damage to the beams in the finished basement only because there was no light in the area where the damage was (ever heard of a flashlight?). He also missed water leak from the concrete slab in the basement (in the small portion where it was not finished with flooring) because owners had thrown a piece of wood on top of it. All he had to do was move the little piece of plywood and the leak would have been clearly visible.
And now the most aggravating, he didn't test ANY window in the house to make sure that they open and close. For this he didn't even have to get his shirt or pant dirty. But he chose to not do that. We were first time home buyers 4 years ago and didn't know about any of this. He charged us $650 including a radon test.

Anyway, this guy was a total rip-off. Please save yourself the trouble and avoid him like plague.

Below is the info:
HouseMasters
Sergio Angione
973-299-1808
Fax: 973-200-1809 http://www.housemaster.com
I just used Mike from HouseMasters b/c he was highly recommended by my realtor and b/c the last one I used I was not happy with, but compared to Mike's "work" at this point I would go back to them. Mike did not use a ladder or flashlight. He refused to go on the roof because it was newer. He refused to turn on the air conditioner to see if it worked because it was "cold" (it was about 55 degrees outside). He would not check for termites even though I paid the extra money for this service and without a ladder not sure how he would manage anyway. He spent most of his time typing the report instead of checking the house. Never saw the tank sweep report. Pointed out a very loose basement banister and he acknowledged it but did not include it in his report. He seemed very unhappy with us being there with him. When you email the office you get no response and Mike and his office do not communicate, if you contact one the other does not know anything 2 days later. DO NOT use them!
Flag Tue Jan 12, 2016
ditto...Sergio is USELESS. He showed up in a dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes, not exactly inspection ready and also did not get his clothes dirty and missed a TON
Flag Fri Aug 21, 2015
Here is a link to radon canister's... take a look.

http://www.testproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=51
HI KG -

it is a small can circular like 4 inches by 2 inches, looks to me like it has charcoal or something close... I am not sure exactly, but I am thinking that it is a substance that when opened collects the levels. The basement should be kept closed or as resonably close to closed. The inspector comes back, replaces the cover and mails the canister to the lab for testing results.

I am sure there is an inspector out there that can anbswer this better then I.
KG,

Below is a link to ASHI certified Home Inspectors that might help you as well. It will bring you to the home page of the American Society of Home Inspectors.

Also, the inspector can answer your question about what homeowners are to do when their home is being tested for radon.
Web Reference: http://www.ashi.org
Thank you Gina and Joan for the referrals...Also, John you say they leave a can in the basement...what if there are people currently living in the home?
Ask your Realtor, I usually recomend inspectors to my clients and I have them make the decision. Here in NJ - it varies. as to what is included, some inspectors do the termite inpection along with their overall home inspection. Some bring in a seperate agentcy and most do the radon test themselves by leaving the can in the basement for two - three days then they pick it up and send it to a lab for analysis.

Costs can vary - the range starts at about 300 for the inspection and 90 for the termite cert and 90 for the radon test.

\I have heard of some inspectors that charge $500.00 but I am not sure what they do for that.. (lunch would be nice) Ask your realtor and ask for a few then call and make your decision.
Home inspectors in NJ must be licensed. I live in Ocean County, that's central to south in NJ along the coast. A general home inspection runs between $275 to $350 in this area. There are senior discounts. If you need radon testing, which is a good idea in North Jersey due to the soil composition, that's extra. Other extras include mold evaluation and bulkhead review. The prices I mentioned include a Termite Inspection which a mortgage company will require. It's best to speak to a few licensed inspectors to discuss what they do and the kind of reports they submit to you. A Realtor mightn also be able to give you some suggestions in your particular north Jersey community.
I do not know where you are buying hence I can't recommend anyone. Here's some things to look for though. Ask the inspector will he do a reinspection. This is when he says something needs repair or is defective. The homeowner supposedly fixes the problem. The inspector reinspects to be sure whether it was actually done or done properly. Also ask if he provides pictures. A picture speaks a thousand words. There's no arguing when you see a photo of mold in the attic. In addition to a home inpsection I would have the home inspection for pests and insects, also radon.
Your Local Top Producing Realtor in NJ will best suite this question. Over the years as a realtor we know through our sales what inspectors are truly qualified and profeesionals at what they do. Your state may very in price
KG,

I would highly recommend

Mike DeRosa
Certified Home Inspections
92 North Rd.
Nutley NJ 07110
http://www.acertifiedhomeinspections.com/home/

The inspection fully covers home, termite and radon. He is licensed and insured and is very thorough and have used him on all of my buyer representation deals. Please feel free to contact him directly for price quotes as I do not feel comfortable quoting his rates. Please be sure to tell him I sent you.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate/Realtor
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-239-7700 ext 132
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
We are looking in northern NJ...