Where can I go to find blueprints of our home?

Asked by Wendy, San Ramon, CA Fri Oct 3, 2008

I live in the older Bridges community of San Ramon. Where can I go to find blueprints of our home?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


jesus7347, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Mon Jan 20, 2014
even if your house is over30years old will the court still have blueprints on the house?
0 votes
Jeannie Aias…, Home Buyer, Morgan Hill, CA
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Most the time the cities do not have the plans, ad if it is a track home, the builder may only have certain versions depending the age.

So if you are looking to get as builds done for your home, feel free to call me up.

Jeannie Aiassa
Aiassa Designers
0 votes
Michael, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Tue Oct 28, 2008
try this website. there is a link to bridges where you can find the floorplans. hope this helps.

0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Oct 24, 2008
exactly... contact the building department in San Ramon. Good luck
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Oct 24, 2008
Hi Wendy,

Carl is "right on the money" regarding getting actual plans. I'm making the assumption that you want copies of your plans for the purpose of potentially remodeling. In this case, and assuming you are not producing your own remodeling plans yourself, the architect/engineer you work with will use a combination of reviewing the plans at the City, getting copies of the actual plans, site surveys of the home, and phone calls to various builder contacts to derive the necessary information they will need for producing remodeling plans. In short, and again assuming you want plans for remodeling, getting the actual plans of the current "as built" home may not be necessary since these will be incorporated into the new remodeling plans.

Best Regards, -SteveO
0 votes
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Oct 24, 2008

Steve is right – you can view your building plans at San Ramon’s City Hall in the building department. However, I am assuming that you want to get an actual copy of the plans for your home, not just view them. Because the plans for your home are considered the property of the builder/architect and protected by copyright law, your local building officials will not allow you to make a copy without the builder/architect’s permission. By visiting the building department, you can view the plans, but not copy any portion of them in any way. There are a couple of ways to get copies; however, it won’t necessarily be easy.

1. The best way is to contact the builder directly. By doing so, you’ll avoid several legal issues and can shorten the process immensely. Since the builder of your home is still active in the Northern California market, contact them directly at:

Shapell Homes
Customer Service
100 North Milpitas Boulevard
Milpitas, CA 95035

(408) 946-1550 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
(800) 946-2880 (24/7 Customer Service Voicemail Center)
(408) 262-7604 (fax)
CustomerService@ShapellHomes.com (email)
http://www.shapellnc.com (website)

2. Unfortunately, our experience has shown that active builders are often reluctant to provide copies of their plans for proprietary reasons. Therefore, if they are unwilling/unable to provide you copies of the plans, the next step is to go to San Ramon’s Building Department.

City of San Ramon Building and Safety Services
2226 Camino Ramon
San Ramon, CA 94583
(925) 973-2580 (phone)
Building@sanramon.ca.gov (email)
http://www.sanramon.ca.gov/bldg/default.htm (website)

In order to make copies of your plans at the building department, you will need the builder/architect’s written permission. San Ramon’s building officials will provide you with a request form that you fill out. That form is then submitted to the builder for their permission. The builder has a specified time to respond, typically 60 days. Often, active builders will not give permission. If permission IS granted, then the city can send the microfiche out to a local copy company to make you a set of full sized plans, or allow you make 8 ½ x 11” copies in their offices. They will ask you to specify which pages you will want. Pay the appropriate fees and you are good to go.

3. The last (and most expensive) way to get a set of plans for your home is to hire an architect or designer who will come out, measure your home on-site and then produce an “as-built” set of plans for your home.

If you desire additional information, please contact me at carl@carlmedford.com.
Web Reference:  http://www.carlmedford.com
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Hi Wendy,

The San Ramon city permit department should have plans for your home. Note that architectural plans are copyright protected, but will be available for viewing.

Best Regards,

Steven A. Ornellas, GRI, ABR, e-PRO, CMPS, RE Masters, MBA
REALTOR® / Mortgage Banker-Broker / Certified Mortgage Planning Specialist

Steven Anthony Real Estate & Financial Services
Expect Excellence. Get What You Expect.â„¢
Cell: 510.461.6011
http://www.Steven-Anthony.com SteveO@Steven-Anthony.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more