Where can I get all the forms needed to complete a FSBO contract?

Asked by Ken, Rancho Cucamonga, CA Wed Nov 3, 2010

I am preparing to purchase a home from a friend of a friend (without a realtor) and I wanted to see where I can get all the appropiate forms to ensure the process is well documented and eases stress? Of course, the free forms are perfered. Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Pamela Beamon, , Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Mon Nov 15, 2010
Hello Ken; good luck. It is getting more and more complicated to purchase or sell a home these days. We are the new kids on the block and can attest to that first hand! First of all the adivce of money is money and things are forgotten very easily EVEN when friends are involved. Especailly friends of friends. Do you know the value of the house? Are you setting the value or are they? For your sake, I would suggest you check the value for yourself. We have a site that can help you. Check this out and good luck in your deal

Pam Beamon
0 votes
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Nov 4, 2010
If you're insistent on saving the $8 dollars, I'd strongly suggest springing for the money for a real estate attorney.
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
I've learned that you can't caution people away from trouble, but, there's bubbling in the cauldron.

Maybe this will help. A contract is the written documentation representing an agreement between two parties, and because of this, playing with forms is dangerous. "How come that wasn't in it" is, I am told, a common complaint when things go sideways, and believe me, sometimes sideways is an improvement.

So. Real estate brokers are not able to give you legal advice, but they are able to broker real estate. Avoiding one may seem like a good idea . . . ah, what the heck. Just go to your local office supply store. What could go wrong?
0 votes
Gene Scott, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Your best bet is to contact a Realtor. He or she can provide the CAR (California Association of Realtors) forms that you need to provide to escrow to arrange the transaction. At minimum you need the Residential Purchase Agreement and a few disclosure forms. My guess is that a Realtor will be willing to go over the forms with you and recommend a good escrow person for a minimal charge of $250 -$300.

PS - I assume you are using an escrow company. You had better be. You want to make sure that no money transfers without insuring that you have clear title to the property and all deeds and conveyances are properly recorded and paid. Plus there are mandatory disclosures that must be provided to you by the seller in California.

Best of luck,
Gene Scott
0 votes
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Thu Nov 4, 2010
There are many other legal details that go into selling a home. You should consult with a real estate attorney or a local title company that specializes in real estate transactions. They can draw up a contract for purchase once you have a buyer. Other things that come into play when selling a home are an appraisal, a title search, a survey, inspections, and setting up a closing date and time. For more detailed information check out foresalebyowner.com.
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Go to a lawyer. The forms (and requirements) vary by state and sometimes by county. It'll cost you some, but not a whole lot, and you'll be making absolutely sure it's done correctly.

Hope that helps.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Nov 3, 2010
If not utilizing an agent, do protect yourself and consider working with an attorney who specializes in real estate for all related documention--that way the process will be accurately documented and very little stress, if any, on your part.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more