Where can I find free foreclosure information in the birmingham, al area?

Asked by rlsmith4, Birmingham, AL Mon Mar 25, 2013

I'm not looking to sign up for a site, or use a free trial.

Answers

6
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Real Estate Brokers see them first.Best next action is to ask a local Real Estate Broker by clicking "Find a Pro" in the main menu at the top of this website. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
David Mason, Agent, Vestavia Hills, AL
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I'm not aware of anyone who gives away this or any other information on foreclosures for free.

One option that hasn't been mentioned yet is to subscribe to the county newspaper of record. For example, the Shelby County Reporter has most all the Shelby county foreclosure and sheriff's sale auction notices in the legal advertisements in their want-ads section. All foreclosures and sheriff's sales must be advertised for a period of time, usually 3-4 weeks, prior to the auction. I believe a subscription is around $25/yr or so.

Once you have the information, you could purchase a foreclosure property at the courthouse steps on the day of the foreclosure auction. This is usually risky, but depending on the area of town and the amount of the loan being foreclosed, it could be an option. Once you have the address, you can do your homework and show up at the auction to bid. Since there is no agent commission involved at this point, and since we agents don't like to give away service and expertise for free (we do like food with our meals!), you'll be on your own on this type of transaction.

Otherwise, the banks will most often put the property with an REO agent and it will be listed in the MLS like any other property listing, though there will usually be certain owner-required conditions on any offers. Sometimes, banks will also advertise the property on their own website, but the property will usually be listed in the MLS as well. Buying this way, it is best to have your own agent working with you to guide you through the process as mentioned in the other answers here.
James Riley, Agent, Birmingham, AL
Mon Mar 25, 2013
As an agent and personal buyer of foreclosed properties, I have a lot of recommendations on getting you the information you need to be successful. A couple to start with...

1. The good deals on foreclosures go fast. A listing on Friday may be under contract by Monday. So you need to be prepare to act. The information you need must be timely. Get mentally prepared review it daily. Get financing pre-approvals ready so you can act quickly.

2. Find a very responsive agent. When a house becomes available, you cannot wait days to see it. Pick an agent that responds to emails and phone calls; even during none business hours.

3. The Birmingham MLS tools are wonderful for sending you emails for properties you are interested in. An agent can set you up quickly.

4. While MLS is great and most things show up quickly, there are other sources to consider. HUD Homes and Home Path are good. These are especially valuable if you plan to live in the property. There are also some bank websites that list their real estate owned (REO) that are worth following.

5. Timely status of a property is also important. An agent will be able to check the current status of a property. A number of sources have dated listings. You can waste a lot of time looking at properties that are already off the market.

6. Whether your buying as a personal residence or investment, narrow your search to specific areas of town. You'll need to be able to quickly identify a good deal. A good agent can help tremendously.

7. Find an agent that is active engaged in the market. My network helps me know about properties coming available several weeks in advance. Use the agent's network as advanced warning system.

8. When you think you've found a good deal, your agent can help you verify. We have a great access to properties that have recently sold.

9. If you interested in foreclosures as investments, get an agent that understands the investment analysis and property management. A home that might be a great deal as a personal residence, might be a poor income property. The converse can be also be true.

There is a lot of information you need to be successful. Just getting emails of listings is only the tip of the iceberg. Your best source of information is a great agent. I'd be glad to assist you or help you find someone who can. Click my name at the top of this answer to get my contact info.
Lenda Wagner, , Birmingham, AL
Mon Mar 25, 2013
I am a local real estate broker in the Birmingham area. I specialize in buyer foreclosure representation. I have access to all current foreclosures and can send you any information you need. You can reach me at 205-432-9430.
Aaron Sims, , Birmingham, AL
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Good afternoon, what type of forclosure information are you looking for? I could set it up to have you sent an email with every foreclosure in the local area as soon as it is listed, or even narrowed down to a specific area or number of bedrooms etc. I could also have it send you shortsales or any other type of special sales.
I would love to talk to you about exactly what information you are seeking so that I can help you get the information you need and can use.

Aaron Sims
205 834 0798
Aaron@jaaronsims.com
Web Reference:  http://jaaronsims.com
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Probably your best option is to get in touch with a local real estate agent and have them search for you. They should even be able to set up an automatic e-mail to alert you to any new foreclosures that come on the market.