Where are the better neighborhoods located? What are the advantages of living in Oregon vs. Washington?

Asked by Caitlin Mitchell, Mabank, TX Mon Jan 20, 2014

Answers

3
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Jan 21, 2014
Oregon was ranked as less expensive to live in than Washington. Living in Washington is like living and commuting from Hillsboro. No sales tax but you pay a license fee on value of your car every year and it can be in the $2000 range or more plus the sales tax and the commute to work that is only getting longer. There are some great areas in Vancouver to the north and east. Drive I-5 at 5pm going to Beaverton or Vancouver and see what you think it is worse going south towards Wilsonville at 5 pm comparable to I-5 north. Live close to where you work if you want to have extra free time. Good luck to you. Oh and when you sell your house you have a transfer tax and the average cost to sell is close to 10% in fees compared to about 6.3% in Oregon that is a real high cost and expense to sell a house. Tom Inglesby, Broker RE/MAX equity group
Marvin Von R…, Agent, Tigard, OR
Mon Jan 20, 2014
No way to answer that---its personal choice. Oregon has no sales tax and Washingtom has no state income tax. So it depends on how much you purchase and/or what you make and your tax load.

Regarding 'better' neighborhoods---what is 'better'? We are held to a high professional level and must be careful about what we say and how we judge people and places
joekuziel, , Portland, OR
Mon Jan 20, 2014
I think it really depends on your situation. I have a friend who lives and works in Vancouver and likes the zero State income tax and does most of her shopping in Oregon because there is no sales tax As far as places to livein Portland some would say stay away from Gresham and the airport and in Vancouver some would say stay away from 4th Plain but I'm sure others will have an opinion too. .