Where are inaccuracies of MLS listings status reported?

Asked by homebuyer39, Seattle, WA Thu Oct 3, 2013

For example if a house is not longer "pending" because the sell agreement was terminated by both parties, shouldn't its status be changed to "cancelled" and then "active" again if the seller want to sell it to someone else? Does the MLS has an email or phone number to report that? It has been more than a week and it hasn't change its status. It is the second time in a row that this house is not sold, I just don't want the information online to be misleading or incorrect for other buyers.

Answers

12
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Fri Oct 4, 2013
Let's consider another option: The agent just forgot to take the listing back active. That would likely violate not only NWMLS rules, but also the statutory duties of the agent to the seller (the duty to take efforts to try to find a buyer). That would be a serious situation since it would bring the Department of LIcensing into the equation.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Oct 4, 2013
It is crucial to be aware that data appearing on aggregate real estate websites like Trulia an ZILLOW have NO connection to the Multiple Listing Service. The WAVGroup has reported that 37% of the data appearing on TRULIA is faulty.
http://waves.wavgroup.com/2012/10/03/real-estate-website-accuracy/
-
FAULTY DATA IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF TRULIA. If you have suffered real loss have your attorney contact Trulia.
-
Trulia states they receive real estate data from a third party data aggregartor. Listhub.
Listbub replces data from the MLS with date retrieved from public sources. Both Listhub and Trulia resserve the right to replace, substitute, supress, change, alter, delete or misrepresent information is it suites their marketing needs.
-
Real estate professional are in NO WAY responisble for faulty data and in many cases, (SUCH AS STATUS) are PREVENTED from correcting.
-
The moral to the story is, "IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS BUYER YOU NEEED TO USE SERIOUS TOOLS." Looking for home in the 'make beleive' land of aggregate real estate wbsits ALWAYS results on uninformed buyers looking for someone to blame...just as you are.
Trulia is NOT the MLS.
Trulia is not accruate.
Trulia is deliberately deceptive.
-
If you are a serious buyer do what serious buyers do, pick up the phone and call a Seattle REALTOR and get plugged into tthe source of reliable, accurate, timely, comprehensive, relevant and responsible data, the local Multiple Listing Service. Any Seattle will provide you FREE access.
So, show you are serious.
I have had access to my agent's MLS portal for nearly a year and it is one hot mess. The Saved Searches are capped at a certain price point, yet result in "too many to map" because of a bug in which my upper limit is ignored (and when I return to the Saved Search it is back to reading "no minimum", "no maximum".) I am attempting to narrow to single-story residential homes, yet I consistently receive "Auto alerts" that pass along the faulty searches wherein price and other criteria don't "stick". So as far as I am concerned the MLS is too buggy to use. No matter how many times I attempt to revamp the Saved Search it fails to narrow results to the set criteria. It may be a professional tool but it is so buggy that I find myself on the "aggregate real estate websites" you mention because at least their website developers know how to make search criteria "stick". That said, I would prefer if the MLS portal my agent set up actually WORKED because I find desirable listings too late to jump.
Flag Wed Mar 1, 2017
I believe the question was regarding the MLS, not Trulia, most buyers. IF it is the MLS, then the MLS can be contacted so it can be brought to the attention of the agency. Sad there are still agents out there that are not doing their fiduciary duty to their client. Their job is to place it accurately so they get top dollar for their client, the more they eat up time with inaccurate status then the client is the one that gets hurt.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Some MLS may have direct feed to Trulia and Zillow. I know the NWMLS has been discussing doing that, but to date it has not happened.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for your answer but I clearly said the status is wrong on MLS not Trulia, the status is wrong on the serious tool. I have access through the personalized real state website and it shows listings directly from MLS not third party sources.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Fri Oct 4, 2013
One other possibility is that the seller had another offer in a backup position or that the agent knew someone willing to make an offer quickly. Either way it's possible the list is again pending.

There the listing not going back again active would be somewhat misleading, but in the case of a true backup offer I'm not sure it's improper.
What I was trying to say is that if it's a true backup offer sitting there, I don't know that it would go back to active and then pending, because it never would have been active. Immediately upon the first transaction failing, the backup transaction would be pending. So there may not be a rule violation.

This assumes both transactions were the same pending status (e.g. either both Pending or Pending Inspection). If they were different then the history should show:

Active
Pending Inspection
Pending
Pending Inspection

That would show the flip.

I agree though that it is somewhat misleading if say it goes from Pending Inspection to Pending Inspection without a status change, because it doesn't show one sale flipped. Just not sure there's a rule violation.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Agree it could be pending again if that's the case, but in the status history you should see an "active" then "pending" again with a different date right?
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
J, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Fri Oct 4, 2013
As many have posted, third party websites are inaccurate in majority cases. If you are receiving the information through a credible limited MLS account, assigned to you by an agent, and depending on the MLS service's ability of how it reports information, it may not be setup to show "temporarily off market," if this be the case. You could also report the situation to your local RE Commission and have them investigate to ensure the agent is not manipulating the system (purposely misleading) for some type of personal/business gain. Thanks for the question and good luck to you.
HI Kary. Thanks for your feedback. My clients deserve the best in real estate services and double checking facts regarding any property for sale on the open market is priority. If during the process I see any odd or strange inconsistencies in MLS systems (history/current) I will call agents out on it. We work in a field with agents of varied levels of education, experience and ethics...I never assume anything. Good luck and thanks for your feedback. Have a good day!
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Accurate MLS history reporting related to housing is vital to my seller and buyer clients. To try and ensure greater accuracy for both I go back some 8 years (MLS history records) regarding neighboring properties and I double check with city/county records as well. Accountability and credibility is important to me as a real estate broker representing my clients. Cross referencing the data is critical and time consuming but I value my clients and the trust they put in me. Best of luck to you!
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Very astute to recognize that the problem might be with the agent! I represented a buyer once who was the third buyer and it became apparent that the agent was a real obstacle to a smooth transaction. We did close, but on at least two occasions the agent was acting in an manner that would compel a buyer to walk. And I'm not talking about inspection issues.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for your answer, I suspect that might be the case. The seller agent trying to mislead because it doesn't looks good for a property to don't get sold 3 times in a row and this agent is trying to show as it was pending only one or two times not 3 times. It should be reported accurately to rise proper flags to potential buyers, at least if they see the history they will know there is something potentially wrong with this house, the seller or the agent.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Kerstin Broo…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Oct 4, 2013
Dear Homebuyer39 - I assume you are working with a buyer's agent. Your agent can contact your local MLS and make sure the status is reflected properly.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Oct 4, 2013
- Thanks for your answer, I suspect that might be the case. The seller agent trying to mislead because it doesn't looks good for a property to don't get sold 3 times in a row and this agent is trying to show as it was pending only one or two times not 3 times. It should be reported accurately to rise proper flags to potential buyers, at least if they see the history they will know there is something potentially wrong with this house, the seller or the agent.

It might be the case, but consider that the MLS rules may not be in place to "rise proper flags to potential buyers."
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Fri Oct 4, 2013
I think others have addressed the broker (Redfin, John L. Scott, Winderemere, etc.) website versus third party (Trulia, Zillow, etc.) issue well enough.

Your underlying premise though is wrong. If a sale falls through the listing can go directly from pending to active. Cancelled would mean that the listing itself was cancelled.

In any event, the same information is present. As long as the listing was taken pending inspection and/or pending, other buyers will know of the prior transaction. So going pending is the more critical action compared to taking the listing back active. And when the listing does go back active, no one will know why the prior sale flipped (absent that being mentioned in the listing or calling the listing agent).
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Homebuyer39,
Just because the previous sale didn't go through, doesn't mean the sellers are ready to put it back on the market. There are a number of reasons they may be waiting or have elected not to sell. When they are ready, their agent will update the status in NWMLS and it will appear on most websites.
Trulia does not get their data directly from NWMLS, so if you are waiting for it to appear here, you could be waiting a while. The listing broker must remember to manually go in and update their listings here.
I would think you would need to go Sale Fail Release or Temp off Market in that situation, although I have not reviewed the rules.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Without more information, its impossible to know if the inaccurate information is the responsibility of the listing agent or the third-party website. In some cases, the listing may be out-of-date as a result of the neglect of the agent. In some cases, listing information is incorrect because of a 'feed' from another data source.

As others have mentioned, you'd be wise to utilize Realtor-owned websites. Realtors have the most accurate information and incorrect information is very rare. You can waste a lot of time on third-party websites in pursuit of properties that are no longer available.
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
If you are talking about the public MLS sites that are all over the internet they are almost always pretty far behind when it comes to updating the status of properties. The MLS site that us Brokers use is usually up to date. This is just another reason why buyers and sellers should use Real Estate Brokers. I don't know how many times that I've received a phone call from a buyer asking me to show them a home for sale that they saw on one of these sites and that home has already been sold.
Khaleel Grant, Agent, Woodinville, WA
Thu Oct 3, 2013

The answer to your question lies in the website that you are checking. If this is your home, you may want to notify your agent/broker as they can change this status on the agent/broker-only NWMLS website. However, with third party websites, property information is updated either directly from the MLS or from feeds from other third party websites. That is why the third party websites (though they are very helpful) cannot always guarantee the most accurate information. You could email me the listing number and I will tell you if it is listed as active on the MLS or not.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
It is up to the member broker to report this, 39.