deanna florio, Home Buyer in Florida

When you have a repaired sinkhole property is that hone safe to live in ????How do you know it will not come back ??

Asked by deanna florio, Florida Sun May 11, 2014

Answers

3
Andy Wood, , Florida
Tue Jun 3, 2014
Coming from a person that actually lives in a sinkhole repaired home, I can tell you that a sinkhole repaired home is probably safer than any other home in Florida. Our soil is sand....any change in the water aquifer below and it can create a sinkhole. When a home is repaired (and you should have engineering reports to see the repairs), they drill poles down into the limestone every 3 feet around the home, basically putting it on stilts. The entire street could fall in and the house would still be standing.

We are in south Tampa and sinkholes are NOT common, however, we had one and so did our neighbor and we think it was due to a lake being dredged out across the street. With sinkhole insurance virtually impossible to get these days and with the chances that a sinkhole could pop up anywhere in Florida, why not by a sinkhole repaired home? I think we would be crazy to ever leave, but that's just an opinion from a person that has actually been through the whole ordeal with the insurance and repairs....

Best of luck to you and I would be happy to discuss any additional information you would like. It was a scary process for myself and my family but once we got educated about the subject, it isn't so bad.

Andy Wood
Titan Home Lending
http://www.titanhl.com
727-410-9663
awood@titanhl.com
Thank you for sharing this answer- I have the same answer as the poster! I thought that maybe since the sinkhole had been there before that the property might have the risk of another showing up. I didn't know that repair could actually help make sure that no more sinkholes would appear!

http://foundationmasters.com/services/sinkholes/
Flag Tue Aug 5, 2014
zaretroc, Home Buyer, Rock Hill, SC
Sun May 25, 2014
If anyone tries to tell you that a repaired sinkhole property is safe, walk away as quickly as possible. People can not state this to be the case when they have no way to guarantee the homes stability and they in fact don't know what they are talking about. If you choose choose to buy a home in area affected by sink holes you may find your investment is a sink hole.
A sink hole could appear anywhere in florida. I live in Tampa and had sink hole activity and had my home repaired, surely feel safer than my next door neighbor, since there are steel rods that go all the way down to the bedrock.
Flag Sat Jun 21, 2014
Nicholas Car…, Agent, Ocean Springs, MS
Sun May 11, 2014
You should definitely consult with a professional inspector and engineers to determine if the repair is complete and the area is safe. Make sure everyone you use are highly trained and experienced professionals.