When you buy new construction do you usually hire your own home inspection as well as a laywer? Thank you I

Asked by Jen, Tue Oct 14, 2008

appreciate your time and advice.

Answers

6
Anne Gelinas, Agent, East Longmeadow, MA
Sat May 2, 2009
I would want both. You can see some mistakes but an inspector can point out many more you would not see with a buyers' eye, and an attorney understands the contracts of builders much better than a buyer would be able to.

Down the line, when you do find mistakes, it will be too late.
Don McComb, Agent, Lake Geneva, WI
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Definitely.

Any other questions?
Wed Oct 15, 2008
You should always have representation! You need a Buyers Contract and Buyer Agent to enable you to
be well represented. That Buyer Agent should always suggest you have legal representation, specifically your own attorney. The closing Attorney may work for the bank and or the Seller. You want your own
Attorney advising you on contracts, etc. until the closing.
Mark Roncone, , Naperville, IL
Wed Oct 15, 2008
Jen,

I always recommend that my clients use an attorney for a real estate transaction. Having a home inspection done is usually a very good idea as well.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Oct 14, 2008
Jen,

Are you working with a real estate professional? When working with new construction purchases, we recommend that our customers have a home inspection done to identify items that need to be corrected. We have found that even though the builder has an internal inspection process, items are over looked. To protect the buyers interests, it is important to have a buyer sponsered inspection.

Inspectors that we have worked with on new construction normally find a long list of items that need to be remediated.

Is the attorney working for "you" or is the attorney an arm of the builder? Has the property been appraised? We are finding that many new construction homes are not appraising for the amount they are selling for, thus creating a problem for closing.

Unless you are working with an agent, you are putting all of your eggs in the builder's basket.......let's hope the fox isn't watching the hen house.

Ray Mungia, Agent,
Tue Oct 14, 2008
Jen,

I highly recommend an inspection on a new home. Too many times, I have seen crews blow and go, and make not only structural errors, but electrical errors. These too many times, are hard to find as someone that is not professionally trained. Municipal inspectors don't spend near the amount of time that a personally hired inspector will spend in the home. I highly recommend an inspection.

As to having an attorney. If it is for the sole purpose of representation, then you need a Realtor. It never hurts to have a real estate attorney on stand by, as they can help you understand the contract and see if it is fair. Although, builder are not regulated like Realtors are, it would be up to you, with the help of your Realtor to get the contract changed. Purchasing a home from a builder without your own representation, is like buying a resell where the sellers Realtor, handles both the buy and sell portion of the transaction. Their allegiance is to the seller (Builder). You need someone in your corner, making sure you are not over paying, making sure the builders contract is not heavily weighted in their favor, and making sure you get what was in the contract.