Elbert and M…, Home Buyer in Winter Haven, FL

When you buy a home in Florida if there is a problem with the roof are you allowed to fix it yourself or do you have to hire a professional.?

Asked by Elbert and Mary Stonebraker, Winter Haven, FL Fri Sep 6, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Eileen Eskew, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Your lender and Insurance Company will require a licensed contractor if you are in the process of buying the home. And if you are fixing any damage that has been reported to your insurance co, they will require a licensed contractor.
0 votes
Cindy Lee Mo…, Agent, St Cloud, FL
Mon Sep 16, 2013
Fixing the roof yourself can be slippery depending on the amount of and type of work. Permits and inspections are a must for most roof work. Unless it is really minor. Keep in mind your homeowners insurance may be affected or have stipulations as to what is required. Also, don't forget the liability of working on the roof. Make sure you are covered. As with everything, do it right the first time. Be safe !
0 votes
Vincent Paige…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013

Hope you are well. It depends on the type and amount of work you are doing. You may need to pull a permit. Remember, if you are not qualified to fix your roof, you get what you pay for. Get an inspection by a qualified professional, and insure you know what your getting yourself into.

0 votes
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
As already noted it really depends on the problem and you have not given enough information to determine if we are talking BIG or small problem. Big problem you will almost certainly need a professional. Small problem you can probably get away with doing yourself. Based on your other questions I guessing you are hoping to buy fixer uppers and fix them up on the cheap. Do be careful with such a plan.
0 votes
Michael D Be…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
You can repair/and or replace the roof yourself. However you do have to comply with county/city building code i.e. pull a permit, and have it inspected.

Also, it would be a good idea to check with you homeowners insurance agent to discuss liability coverage if you are going to have someone help you in case there is an accident

Michael D. Bellamy, P.A.,
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc
407.536.MIKE(6453) (direct)
407.622.2122 (office)
407-567-7551 (fax)
Search the MLS: http://www.michaelbellamy.net
Know Your Options: http://www.shortsalemyhome.info
"The Standard of Excellence"
0 votes
Brian Mahoney, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
It all depends on the type of financing you are using. If its all cash you don't need to do anything to buy, but you will most likely need to do certain things to get insurance on the property.

FHA, VA and conventional all have rules with regard to the condition of the property and the will include the roof, plumbing ( poly-polypropylene is common 1980-95ish) and electrical items. There are certain types of breaker boxes that will need to be upgraded prior to closing and again getting insurance.

These will all come up during your general inspection and your 4 point inspection required by most insurance companies.

Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Brian Mahoney, CDPE
Town Centre
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
In most cases, an owner can repair their own roof. In more involved cases that require total replacement, there would be a permit and inspections required on the work done.

It becomes tricky, knowing what can and cannot be repaired by a home owner. To that end, it would be beneficial to always check with your code enforcement department to be on the safe side.

Good luck,

0 votes
Tom Bawany, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Maitland, FL
Fri Sep 6, 2013

I am assuming you are financing this property, if that is the case

Almost always it will have to be fixed before closing, you can not fix it if you do not own the property. it has to be done before the closing and the seller will have to take care of it

FHA/ VA are stricter about any celing issues, even minor issues.

the only way you can fix it after the closing is

1. if you do an FHA 203 K loan and it is part of the loan
2. if the ceiling isssue is minor (such as under $200 or so) and the lender agrees to escow that money at closing and it is done immediatly after the closing. this practice is rare since in most case the lender does not want to take this extra rsk

pls call me if you need a Pre Approval and if you want to learn more about a 203 K

(if you are buying this property cash, you and the seller can do whatever you want)


Tom Bawany | Mortgage Loan Originator | NMLS #519971
Real Estate Mortgage Network, Inc.
500 Winderley Place, Suite 112
Maitland, FL 32751
F: 866.552.6351 | C: 407.924.2759
E: tbawany@remn.com | http://www.remn.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more