Home Buying in Florida>Question Details

gabriel palo…, Real Estate Pro in Pompano Beach, FL

When you are buying a home today is with the purpose that it will be worth more tomorrow?

Asked by gabriel palotas, Pompano Beach, FL Thu Nov 4, 2010

A home I buy to live and love in. A house or an investment is one thing, but my home has got to be a place that I love to be. So in this market or any market, my home would have to be what fulfills my needs. Definitely, I expect the value of my home to appreciate over time, but I will have also be using it constantly. I would hate to lose money on it if I have to sell.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 4, 2010
I hope not. We all want to have our property appreciate over time, but if that is your criteria, then buy the first thing you see now while prices are low and interest rates are low and hope your happy there until prices rise. Terrible way to live I would imagine.

Kevin Cloutier
Southern Premier Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 4, 2010
I am not buying today because house prices are dropping more and more.
When I do buy I simply hope that prices remain stable.
That means my assessed value remains the same and so do my taxes.

All that a house being worth more than when it was bought means is that inflation has changed the value of money so now you can be taxed on no real gains.
Oh, right now, really.

Real estate is historically a darned good investment, and overall - people that rent their entire lives don't end up as well financially as people who have owned their own homes.