Home Buying in Dublin>Question Details

Del, Home Buyer in Dublin, CA

When we need the Power of Attorney when purchase the house?

Asked by Del, Dublin, CA Mon Jul 9, 2012

We're ready to buy a house. However My husband and I are going oversea for several months for business. We would like to appoint my parent to sign all the purchase document. When we need to present the power of attorney??How we can get it??thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Contact your title company and they will be able to prepare the power of attorney for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 30, 2014
You will be completing a "Specific Power of Attorney" specific to that property and its purchase only.
The title company which is handling your can prepare it for you. GIve them a call. They will need to have you sign it with a notary.
Whomever you give that POA to will only be able to sign for that home and that transaction.
They wlll be signing as follows:

Joe Smith for Del Smith, his attorney in fact

Joe Smith for Mel Smith, her attorney in fact

Their hand will hurt when they are finished!
But easy fix!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 30, 2014
I have had many situations where my clients had to travel and a power of attorney was assigned to a family member to sign on there behalf. It is no problem! You just need to inform you agent and title company about it before you travel oversees. Title company will have you sign your part to prepare the power of attorney . At the time of signing this power of attorney will give authorization to your assignee to sign on your behalf. So, to answer your questions, title company will prepare the power of attorney before you travel.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2014
I came looking for the same answer, so thanks for all the comments below! I don't have anything else to add except another question: what if there IS an issue with it while we're away? What's the best way to deal with the situation long-distance? We will have access to the internet/phones etc., but are there any steps we need to take to prepare for difficulties besides doing it well in advance? Thanks!

Grace Watson | http://www.texaselderlawattorney.com/about-us-texas-elder-la…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 30, 2014
All answers were goo, but just a last note....do it as soon as possible and get it submitted in case there is an issue before you leave. Both the Title Company and the Lender will have to approve it for the transaction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
Understand that you may an alternative:
Many transactions are handled by FAX and e-mail.
It may be possible to do it without the PoA.
If you are hesitant.....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
Hi Del,

Your loan agent or your Realtor can get you a Power of Attorney to have taken care of before you leave the country. Definitely check with your loan officer to make sure that this will work with the type of loan you are taking.

Don't hesitate to call if you need a Realtor in the area.

Best regards,

Lillie Missbrenner, Realtor
Short Sale, REO and HAFA Certified
Better Homes and Garden
Danville, CA
Cell: 925-628-9100
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
The title company you use for the escrow can easily prepare the power of attorney for your parents. I do it all the time for my clients. The power of attorney is needed before your parents can sign on your behalf the escrow and loan papers. If you are already pre-approved for a loan, make sure that your lender already has all the paperwork needed to get final loan approval within the loan contingency period. Also, make sure you are able to have all property inspections done before you leave for your trip overseas because contingency removal period is usually between 2 and 3 weeks after purchase contract is ratified (accepted by seller).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
A lot of it depends on your lender to see if the lender will allow power of attorney for loan documents as well as purchase agreement.

Best that you check with your lender first. Your lender can instruct the title company on what they will need in a power of attorney.

The title company can arrange for signing to be done overseas if a power of attorney is not accepted. The consulates may have or know of notary services who can help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
Heads up that you cannot have a Power of Attorney sign your loan application.
Make certain that you either have access to email so that you can sign that or be sure to update it with your loan officer.
Paying cash? Never mind! :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
I would call Jason Webb at Fidelity Title in Pleasanton @ (510) 538-4224. He is our escow officer and will be able to have the POA written for you. Where are you looking to buy? If you need anything don't hesistate to call our office @ 925-999-9891 - Jill Landry - Broker/Owner SkippyBean Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
The title company will also do it
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
Your Realtor, loan officer, or attorney can help you with that before you leave.

Sara Mestas
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer